• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFs and positive energy

epsilon72

MBTI Type
INtP
What can one do for an INFP that seems intent on avoiding a good deal of 'positive energy', and ends up focusing on the negative, more often than not?

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
enroll him/her into therapy, thats just not normal.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am diging tis one up since many NFs joined lately and I am interested in their opinion about this.

Also in the post 52 there is one more question if someone is interested.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
I am an INF and I need a lot of positive energy around me to feel good. I get really dragged down by other people's negative vibes.

I've learnt how to project my own positive energy outwards when it is lacking in the environment. It's like tapping into solar energy in the heart region and then shining it out in all directions. It really seems to make a difference to other's moods, but I do not always remember to use this trick when I need it most!

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm an infj who just kind of withers around masses of negative energy. It's like taking a flower and sticking it under a damp stairwell. I'm better now about leaving situations where there's a lot of negative energy, or leaving to recharge myself often if I can't leave the situation. Sometimes I'll think I have an insight into why they're that way and really really want to help them. But I also perceive that my attempts at help are often seen as judgments.

Snow Turtle

Maybe but to me as an outsider it look that SF feeling are more shallow so they can change their state more quickly.

Finding it really amusing that the other SF has commented on this exact sentence but care to explain your reasoning?

I'm sure most people dislike negative energy within themselves, it'd make sense that they'd want a neutral/positive environment around themselves.

Regarding negative events. The cause might be people or things, but I really don't like chaos within my environment. Therefore mess can drain me as well as people's problems (even if I will try to improve things)

aufs klo

MBTI Type
ENFP
I am an INF and I need a lot of positive energy around me to feel good. I get really dragged down by other people's negative vibes.

I've learnt how to project my own positive energy outwards when it is lacking in the environment. It's like tapping into solar energy in the heart region and then shining it out in all directions. It really seems to make a difference to other's moods, but I do not always remember to use this trick when I need it most!

I thoroughly agree as well! Sometimes it's like a switch goes off, and I go from everyone's shared prespective of, "this sucks," to focusing 100% of my energy to getting everyone excited about almost anything.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ hmm...me too i think. i can't just be upset about something for very long...if i'm in a group and something has ruined our plans or something i'm likely to figure out a solution or something else we can be excited about.

i like to change the focus to something positive if i can.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
I can't deal with toxic energy! I had to move myself to a different workstation at work because there are a couple of females in the room that exude negative energy flow. It brings my spirit down. Every time I see them, I get really bad migraines. Even when they don't speak, it's still there. :frown:

aufs klo

MBTI Type
ENFP
^jumping off of that^

I know I am pretty in-tune with "energy" as a part of myself and others (...god i'm such a hippie...), but how do other NFs and non-NFs feel about that esoteric concept?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm into it *raises hand*

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't it like that for everyone, though, not just NFs? If you're in an environment where people snipe and gripe all the time, surely other types find it tiresome at least ...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^jumping off of that^

I know I am pretty in-tune with "energy" as a part of myself and others (...god i'm such a hippie...), but how do other NFs and non-NFs feel about that esoteric concept?

i've said this somewhere else at some time but not to you...and it's funny to me so...

i'm pretty sure my dad was an enfp and i remember him telling someone that came over with a friend of his that she was going to have to leave because she was making him sick!! haha...i could NOT stop laughing...because she just had a lot of energy and it was pretty negative and intense and he just could not would not even pretend to deal with it...but he was just so funny and charming that he could get away with things like that...so funny...right? haha

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I know what that means. I feel that same way around some people I know and take them in small doses. I think of them as "energy vampires." Can literally feel the negativity sucking the joy out of my being. They go away after their tirade feeling much better and I feel drained.

I will only make an exception to receive someone's venting if they are very dear to me and if I have the energy. Otherwise that's just a plain no-no for me.

Face it. Life's pretty unpleasant at times. I can either let it get me down by fussing about it or listening to someone else do it or I can create as much positive energy around me that I am able to make it doable.

I am in mind of a newspaper article I read recently about a study which said that laughter is contagious and much more so than negativity. I'm not sure how this holds true for all personality types but I know that , for me, I need to watch how much negativity I allow to preoccupy my time.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't get people on that one. When I feel that bad, I stay home till I've figured it out. The last thing I'm gonna do is go out and make everyone miserable by my contagious bad mood. And if I have to, I'll try to focus on the reason I have to go out,instead of vibing out those emotions.

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
I don't get people on that one. When I feel that bad, I stay home till I've figured it out. The last thing I'm gonna do is go out and make everyone miserable by my contagious bad mood. And if I have to, I'll try to focus on the reason I have to go out,instead of vibing out those emotions.

Right I see, you've seen my posts Amargith and INFPs, do I seem to be doing that? Just want to make sure, I try to give good vibes.:D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Right I see, you've seen my posts Amargith, do I seem to be doing that? Just want to make sure, I try to give good vibes.

Grin, no, not that I'm aware of :)
It's also something that the internet thankfully softens, so if anyone were doing it, it wouldn't such a big deal ;)

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have one more question.
NFs say that they feel about things and that is their default state.
Form this thread it looks that you need positive atmosphere to function properly.

So here is the question:

What is the efect of this music on you?
Listening to first 30 second is enough to get the point.

Music

I guess I do need positive energy. I know this because I've been surrounded by the bad my whole life and I need to catch a break. On message boards I hate it when things turn ugly for no reason. Why not have a debate instead of an all out grudge match? I've seen a lot of online WWE type stuff with arguments and those are just lame and childish.

And the music made me think about actions movies from the 80s, lol. You know when someone is sneaking into an old warehouse and the "good" guy is snooping around trying not to get caught. But I like it.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Very interesting topic, thanks! :)

This post is based on observation.

To me it look like that many NFs need alot of positive energy to be around them. This works more for ENFs then INFs but INFs are probably better in hidding of this need.

It looks to me that things that are negative can hurt them a lot from the outside or the inside and thery is always some need to be more positive in life and about life.

Can anyone relate to this or explain the need?

I can somewhat agree. I wouldn't say I need positive energy, but what I need is absence of negative energy. It was harder before I realized that I can be ok without positive energy as long as there's no negative either.

I prefer positive energy, but I don't necessarily need it all the time. When I'm on my game, I exert the positive energy myself until it catches on with the people I am around. It usually does.

I would say that I'd rather have neutral or positive energy. Sometimes neutral (not positive nor negative) is the best for me because it let's me feel what I am feeling not what somebody else is feeling (which I do very easily). The positive feeling will suck me in somehow and it makes me hard to pull myself away from it so these days I guess I prefer neutral over overly positive. Or rather genuine (and not overly) positive. ...hmmm... I don't know.

Last edited: