• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Where Would You Rather Live: City or Country?

Upnextup

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would rather live in a city but preferably a small one. NYC etc. is a no go. Way too many people for an shy/indecisive soul like me.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Small town. City is too much for me, country too boring and the people there too close-minded most of the time.

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
The country. Anywhere else, you can't see the stars. Plus, having no neighbors is wonderful. In the country, you don't feel watched.

á´…eparted

passages
City. I have gotten tired of living in less populated areas, and learned I don't do as well in low population areas. It feel confining. Luckily I am moving to a big city in 2 months.

The country. No light pollution, noise pollution, people packed together in an automobile exhaust filled concrete maze. Preferably only an hour or two drive from the urban madness, just for convenience.

Mole

Permabanned
Fortunately I live in the Bush Capital, Canberra, Australia.

Canberra is designed to be the Capital City of a Continent, but we don't build on the hills, so the Bush comes right into the heart of the city.

So Canberra is the perfect combination of the city and the country, click on canberra - Google Search

A city definitely, and a big one at that. Preferably one on the west coast too, but I would also like to live abroad someday. I'd choose a city over the country because I like nightlife with people hanging around at all hours despite me being extremely shy and introverted. I think it would drag me out the house more often because there's usually all kinds of cool things to see and do in larger cities, so I wouldn't get bored as easily. Furthermore, they tend to have many burgeoning art scenes, a community I very much hope to become affiliated with soon enough. Plus I'm not a huge nature lover, so I think I'd get bored in the country for too long.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Fortunately I live in the Bush Capital, Canberra, Australia.

Canberra is designed to be the Capital City of a Continent, but we don't build on the hills, so the Bush comes right into the heart of the city.

So Canberra is the perfect combination of the city and the country, click on canberra - Google Search

I totally get you and I prefer mixed as well.
After all I am from the city/capitol that is also "mixed".

N2H

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Hinterland is my pick, in a way it's like being in the country but not quite as far away from civilization. There's more space, less crime and everyone is just more relaxed & peaceful in general. Some hinterland regions are only 15-30 minute drive from city CBD's too!

I did live in the hinterland for a long time but moved to the coast for work, the coast isn't too bad (it isn't much like a city at all, just more suburban so there's more people) but I do miss the privacy, fresh air and night sky of the mountain ranges.. not to mention the tank water. :)

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A town is good for me.

rvfvclv

awkward
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
I've lived in a small town my whole life, and it's boring af. There's literally nothing interesting to do around here, or at least things that I find interesting (libraries, museums, movie theaters, etc). So I would definitely like to move to some place bigger in the future.

Altair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
MY DREAM HOME

This is a troubling dichotomy to me to be honest. A piece of me would like to live on a nice sandy beach, next to the ocean. To feel the breeze upon my flesh and breath the fresh air. You can literally feel the electrical effect of the ocean. However, the second part would love to live in a nice rolling hill country just outside of a fairly large city. Featuring a nice cabin, and white cotton ball like clouds dotting the blue skies above.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
City for a while. Just to check things out and have... well. Explore.

Then Id probably settle down somewhere by a lake and... I dunno.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I live on the edge of a suburb. I am content. Though I love being out in nature.

Mole

Permabanned
I live in an urban forest, in a designer city in the Bush. We have married the city and the Bush.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cities on the small end of the range of areas you would still call a "city" are my ideal size.

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've lived in both and find both to have positive and negative.
Right now we live in a more ruralish area very close to the city. I like it here. Country feel, city amenities.

House on a tropical island is the dream tho. :newwink:

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was raised in the countryside so I'd like to at least try living in a city. The fast paced nature would probably drive me crazy eventually. I recently spent over a week in London, and I found it to be a fascinating city. I've also considered living in my country's capital of Washington DC because of all the rich history there blended with current events. I've also always wanted to visit LA of try living in that area. I've never been out West. But I can imagine they have have great museams about the history of film and the entertainment industry there, and I would absolutely LOVE to explore those.

Cities mostly appeal to me because of the diversity of the people and what I can learn about humanity and the history, especially if there are old ruins and museams.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even though objectively I understand the appeal, nothing about country life resonates with me at all:

Grass makes me itchy.
I have absolutely no interest in any of the routine maintenance that comes along with living on a rural property: That whole sense of fulfillment and completion get from assembling stuff and doing things with there hands? Yep, nope -- Does absolutely nothing for me but feels like a massive chore.
I don't like the inconvenience of being presumably being distanced from most shopping areas, nor would I like being restricted to the limited selection for what is available.

Typically in rural areas, the internet connections are either subpar at best or non-existent, and that alone conjures more fear in me than any nefarious plot by a Bond villain in the second act of the film could ever attempt to instill in me.

I like the city for the myriad of different things one could potentially do, but probably never will -- I like the freedom of choice of knowing if I wanted to, the path to doing so will be the most convenient.