• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Where Would You Rather Live: City or Country?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I live on the edge of a suburb. I am content. Though I love being out in nature.
Same here. I would absolutely hate living in a big city itself, but I like to be able to go to the city on occasion for events, shopping, etc. Suburbs are a happy medium.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A small city not too far off from a large city. Get the best of both worlds.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Where I’m at now is pretty ideal. It suits my current needs very well.

Place that’s technically located in a fairly big city, but it’s actually on the very edge, with rural woodsy towns all around it.

The actual property is nestled within trees. It feels remote and quiet, but I can hit the highway within ten minutes. Public transport is also nearby if necessary. The air is definitely cleaner than being at the center of the city. Lower crime. Peaceful; the only noise I hear are birds and chipmunks squawking, with the occasional vehicle whizzing by, though the latter has dampened significantly now that the trees & shrubs have gotten their leaves back. Can actually see the stars at night.

I’m probably about 15 min from this city’s “downtown” area, 15 min from any of the rural towns surrounding me (I enjoy their farmstands quite a bit), an hour from the beach in one direction, an hour from the mountains & sprawling forest in another. An hour from the largest metropolis in this region.

Variety of experiences are easily accessible, but this place still has a nice “remote cabin in the woods” thing going on.

There are few areas in life where you can eat your cake and have it, too. This locale certainly fits the bill for me. It’s good cake.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I absolutely need my nature escapes, moments when I leave everyone and all the stress and noise altogether for a moment of silence to experience something greater than man, places like peering over the edge of the Grand Canyon at sunrise, or in the stark of night looking up at the Aurora Borealis above, BUT, all other times, I like to be in big cities, and not just any big city, but one that feels as though it's the capital of the world, like a true melting pot of culture, ideas, arts, being on the edge of reality and at the precipice of what's new to come from the minds of man.

Basically, I'd prefer to experience both extremes rather than stay put in the "mediocre".

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't choose, I like both.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you're talking a huge city with no trees, where you can't see the sky, and apartments with thin walls with no peace and quiet versus middle-of-nowhere country with no people around for miles and miles and miles, I don't want either of them!

If I can choose just want I want, a city that's big enough to have some areas with trees and greenery, gardens, museums, restaurants, and a quiet, private home to hide away from all the noise. Oh, and few traffic jams would be good. :)

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
City. About a year and a half ago I moved out of the city for the first time since college. It wasn't my preference but there were reasons. I love some things about the place I live now (outer ring suburb) but I really miss the community of the city.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Where I’m at now is pretty ideal. It suits my current needs very well.

Place that’s technically located in a fairly big city, but it’s actually on the very edge, with rural woodsy towns all around it.

The actual property is nestled within trees. It feels remote and quiet, but I can hit the highway within ten minutes. Public transport is also nearby if necessary. The air is definitely cleaner than being at the center of the city. Lower crime. Peaceful; the only noise I hear are birds and chipmunks squawking, with the occasional vehicle whizzing by, though the latter has dampened significantly now that the trees & shrubs have gotten their leaves back. Can actually see the stars at night.

I’m probably about 15 min from this city’s “downtown” area, 15 min from any of the rural towns surrounding me (I enjoy their farmstands quite a bit), an hour from the beach in one direction, an hour from the mountains & sprawling forest in another. An hour from the largest metropolis in this region.

Variety of experiences are easily accessible, but this place still has a nice “remote cabin in the woods” thing going on.

There are few areas in life where you can eat your cake and have it, too. This locale certainly fits the bill for me. It’s good cake.
That sounds alot like where I live now, except for the ocean access. (Plus, I never understood how you can eat a cake you don't have.)

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Same here. I would absolutely hate living in a big city itself, but I like to be able to go to the city on occasion for events, shopping, etc. Suburbs are a happy medium.

I grew up in a poor area of a small city. I will admit a negative bias because of my earlier life experience. But some of my relatives who live far from a city have to spend a lot of time driving in order to get things they need and to run errands. That and they don't have nearly as many options for various services.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That sounds alot like where I live now, except for the ocean access. (Plus, I never understood how you can eat a cake you don't have.)

Yeah, it’s nice to live quietly in nature without it getting too monotonous. I don’t get out much beyond errands these days, but the fact that all this stuff is relatively nearby is nice for when I do get restless/feel like adventuring. (Also, I never understood that cake proverb myself - I think “have” is meant to be synonymous with “keep,” but it still sounds weird no matter how you slice it.)

Amberiat

Infinity
City. I drool when I think about the fast paced, modern/luxury lifestyle.

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Probably city, except nobody lived there and the food vendors are robots.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
City because I'd get bored in the country.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
A large self-sustained tropical island.

Jaguar

I think a large number of people may be asking themselves that question after this year ends.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I will always want to live where I have the easiest access to the latest research and technology... but I also like my personal space/home to be spacious to accommodate a studio so... suburbs would be ideal as a compromise for now, but when I can afford it I'd live in the center of a city in a spacious house with nearby access to the higher end academic facilities.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A small suberban town. The city is overwhelming, the country doesn't have enough variety, I choose the middle man. I also have no hope of driving any time soon and cities and suburbs usually have better public transport.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
If forced to choose strictly between the two, I'd choose the City, yet I'm more of suburb type. The whole idea of country living doesn't appeal to me in almost anyway (who wants to live on some big piece of property to maintain, where you have to deal with crappy wifi connection and no one to hear you scream when some escaped prisoner breaks into your home), and while I'd been more comfortable in a city setting compared to a country one, I'm not a big fan of the fast-paced lifestyle that comes with it.