𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу PumpkinMayCare's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    714 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Default Procrastination

So I came across this video and it totally reminded me of me in older times. I basically used to function this way; having a rational decision maker in my head, but it was totally overrun by my instant gratification monkey. It was hard or even impossible to sit down and actually do what I needed to do - expect for the ~really~ important stuff. Everything that wasn't neccessary to make me stay alive, sometimes even what was necessary, I tended not to do until it was too late. I just thought I need to share this video with you because it just screams ENFP and is indredibly hilarious.

I think it's also an interesting video because it shows Ne+Fis influence (instant gratification monkey+panic monster) on an ENFP, when Te (rational decision maker) isn't integrated.

Also Ne's hilarious way thinking becomes easier to understand through this vid: "Are we clear, on what we just accepted here? We need to sit down on this right now." "Totally agree but also let's just open Google earth and let's zoom to the bottom of india and we're gonna scroll up for 2 1/2 half hours, so we can get a better feel for India."

I wish we were all rose-colored too
    My rose-colored boy

You say, "We gotta look on the bright side"
    I say, "Well, maybe if you wanna go blind"
    Likes Novella liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE

Especially the end part about the two types of procrastination is quite important to mention. Pressure, deadlines and responsibility make you progress because they are obligations. It's relatively easy to fail myself and not hold myself accountable when I procrastinate for personal goals. Just take my losses and try again next time ... or ''a time'' whenever. I'm not sure how or if I can ever improve on self-discipline, no matter how developed my Te is to make some rational argument to motivate the self.

But, on the other hand it is very hard to disappoint someone else or fail shared goals with others. In most cases it has consequences for someone else then too, which you don't want to be blamed for. Especially as a type 2 this is not done, so it is a good trick in getting myself to work and step up to be productive. In that same perspective I think it is also better for me to not live the Single Life but idk, start a family someday or something :p (i know that sounds very casual now, but i wouldnt go about it casually haha).

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Thinking about why you don't want to do the thing you're procrastinating is a good first step to overcoming it.

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    714 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    Thinking about why you don't want to do the thing you're procrastinating is a good first step to overcoming it.
    You're totally getting the wrong idea here. It's exactly why I opened the thread and put the video in it, because it shows the trouble of procrastinating in young ENFPs and how the functions basically make certain ENFPs procrastinate. (It is an explanation - and a funny one at that - not an excuse). The reason for procrastinating, it's simply Ne+Fis nature. (mixed with a little bit of Enneagram 7, I guess).

My rose-colored boy

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by thepumpkinpot View Post
    You're totally getting the wrong idea here. It's exactly why I opened the thread and put the video in it, because it shows the trouble of procrastinating in young ENFPs and how the functions basically make certain ENFPs procrastinate. (It is an explanation - and a funny one at that - not an excuse). The reason for procrastinating, it's simply Ne+Fis nature. (mixed with a little bit of Enneagram 7, I guess).
    So you'll always be a procrastinator?

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    714 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    So you'll always be a procrastinator?
    If you don't even bother to read what's been written in the opening of the thread, why do you reply on it? All of your questions have already been answered.

My rose-colored boy

Im actually NOT really a huge procrastinatir- it makes me anxious so I tend to be just the opposite,.. get it DONE and out of the way and- yippee you get to feel free and accomplished and less stressed. Best just to face things- so you can go back to not having to as quickly as possible.

This is mostly with practical things- I try to get them out of the way and done as quickly as possible... emotional things I can have an issue with repressing- which I suppose is a form of procrastination in a way.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by thepumpkinpot View Post
    If you don't even bother to read what's been written in the opening of the thread, why do you reply on it? All of your questions have already been answered.
    I did read it. I just think that blaming your procrastination on being an ENFP is limiting. Maybe it is idk. As long as you what you need done done then I guess it doesn't matter.

johari
    nohari

Hmm, this is interesting. Admittedly, self-regulation is something I do struggle with at times. I'm not an NFP, but my own Pe can be very, very off-the-wall. 24-hour all-nighters were a norm for me back in college and still are sometimes. So yeah, my mind wanders into the dark playground with the little monkey circulating around me for a little too long, methinks. Procrastination is a big weakness of mine, but sometimes I've noticed I get my best creative ideas when I've been procrastinating for quite some time, so perhaps there can be some benefit to it, especially if one is an artist.

However, once I finally get my momentum going, I can be working 30 hours non-stop if I really need to. I have pretty strong endurance to where I can set my entire focus on something for the x amount of hours I've wasted and more, despite exhaustion.

I also want to add that I was much more J-ish when I was younger. I never really did procrastinate as a young child and always did my schoolwork before anything else back then. It wasn't until I grew older when I became an uber-procrastinator. I wonder what the hell happened?

MBTI
    INxP

I've watched this video before, I think it's pretty good.

I must admit, I have issues with procrastination... If there's a time limit, like at work, it's easier - I sort of like working in occasional time pressure. But what got me thinking, was the point on the video about stuff which have no time limit: how much dreams and experiences never be lived because of procrastination?

My worst procrastination problems involve contacting other people (strangers), like making phone calls for making arrangements, booking appointments etc. I believe it has more to do with my shyness /difficulty to explain myself, than functions, though..? Because it's not about being distracted or anything, I just don't want to do it and leave it to be taken cared of "later" (which is the last minute panic or never).