• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How Talkative are You? (Open to all types.)

adventureawaits

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If it's one on one or a small group, I don't really shut up - especially if I'm meeting someone new & trying to get to know them or if it's an interesting topic. In larger groups, I'm actually quieter. To the point that I questioned if I was introverted for awhile. I'm not, but I do get more observant vs talkative with a large group.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Highly dependent on the people, the topic, & my general energy levels at that time.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It highly depends on the people I am around and the topic at hand. I can be very talkative talking more than the rest of the group put together and at times very withdrawn and in my own world if I dont feel safe with the people or it is boring.

N2H

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah I don't mind talking with people, even in groups, but too much of it exhausts me. One thing I don't like is if I talk in a group and everyone looks at me for more then a few seconds.. That's when I will become self conscious, so I tend not to tell stories to groups. :)

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
talkative to the point that most people don't even know how my voice sounds like.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't talk at all. I just sit in the corner wearing the most sullen expression I can come up with in order to punish everyone for not appreciating me.

How much I talk differs widely from audience to audience. In some settings, I look extroverted. In others, I'm as silent as sin.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It depends on the situation, but generally I am very quiet for various reasons. 1. Much of the time, I simply don't feel the need to communicate what's going on in my head. 2. I can be inarticulate at times and feel self-conscious about it. Sometimes the more I want to express an idea, the more perfectionistic I am about how I say it, because I don't want to blurt out poorly-chosen words that will be misinterpreted. Of course, this means much of what I really want to say never comes out at all. 3. I tend to mentally check out of conversations I find uninteresting, often unintentionally. I try to curb this tendency in boring one-on-one conversations to avoid being rude, but even then I will just listen and won't have much input.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1X1 conversations: good luck making me shut up or anything.

groups: wait speaking is a thing? shit.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't talk at all. I just sit in the corner wearing the most sullen expression I can come up with in order to punish everyone for not appreciating me.

How much I talk differs widely from audience to audience. In some settings, I look extroverted. In others, I'm as silent as sin.

Is sin really silent though?

Tater

Generally, I'm not extremely talkative. However, I've been told by several people - some of whom had high standards - that I could carry a conversation well.

StrawberryBoots

Not so much. Co-workers have called me mysterious. I'm a private person. At work, I like to keep it professional. The exception is when I'm adding action figures to my or others' cubicles. I'm quiet, sneaky, and nerdy.

StrawberryBoots

Ah, the mouse in the box. I once told a co-worker we finally caught the mouse, as I handed him the box. He was scared to open it. :laugh:

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Forever said:
Is sin really silent though?
Probably not, but it had alliterative value.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It really depends on who I'm around. I'm really shy and withdrawn so I don't tend to speak to people I'm not familiar with unless they speak to me. With friends I'm still fairly quiet but more willing to participate. It's much easier with just 1-2 people, if it's a group I have trouble mustering the courage to say something. With really close friends they'll probably see a more bubbly/silly side of me, but I have to seriously warm up to you before I feel that carefree.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on feedback, I am not talkative at all. As others have said, I too tend to be an observer, especially in groups. The more others talk, the less I tend to participate. I’m terrible at small talk. It’s not just mere disinterest, but I really don’t know why to say. It often sounds like “wah wah wah” to me. I can’t compute it. I suspect I find it so uninteresting that my brain automatically checks out. At work, people often find me rude and unfriendly.

It’s not like the chit chat I have with friends is so deep and fascinating...it’s usually just a different style. I notice with friends I quip a lot, analyze or go on imaginative tangents. It’s not that I’m so witty or deep, but it’s just a different way of approaching the same information. In a group, if I do happen to feel comfortable, then I offer a kind of running commentary on the side. I’m rarely the “driver” of a conversation. I respond or comment with my observations (which are frequently quippy).

When I’m very comfortable with people, then I feel like I can get animated and say a lot. But while I will feel talkative then or even “too much”, apparantly I just seem normal to others. I do think I can get intense and rather raw/candid, especially one-onxone. I’ve felt people pull back energetically out of discomfort in response to this, but not my close friends. I think that’s probably why we’re close friends.

Friends can get used to me being more talkative and then get confused when I reach my threshold for interaction and go quiet, or when we are around new people and I go back into quiet observation mode.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When I'm feelin' it, I'm the one dominating the conversation. When I'm not feelin' it, I'm invisible.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sometimes I listen so hard that j feel like I'm taking an active role in the conversation, but then I realize I have hardly said anything.

Sky Blue

MBTI Type
INFP
I can be shy in a crowd. I love to talk, though, and if it's a topic I'm familiar with I'll happily talk someone's ear off.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm an ENFP, and it depends. Sometimes I'm not sure what to say in a one on one conversation. I also tend to keep quiet if I don't have anything I think is worth contributing or I don't feel like my opinion will be welcomed. Other times I'm a goofy chatterbox full of Ne ideas who just won't shut up. It all depends on who the person is, the vibe I get from their personally, how well I know them, my level of comfort, and the context of the interaction.
Though sometimes I just need to sound my ideas off on someone. I have good friends who I know don't mind being a soundbox though so I tend to not bombard everyone with a waterfall of Ne.
I'm also very talkative when I feel passionate about something or it's something I want to know more about or already have considerable knowledge on.
I also ask a lot of questions. Someone once half-jokingly told me that he'd never met anyone who asks as many questions as I do.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm generally not very talkative at all. I keep a lot in my head, and need a lot of time to think about what I'm going to say. It is very draining when I'm not in a talking mood and someone starts a conversation with me, especially if I know nothing about the topic. If there are people in the group I'm more familiar with or someone with a common interest, I'll open up more. I get more energetic with people who I can be myself with.

I am terrible at holding a normal one-on-one conversation. The more comfortable I am, the more I am opened to talking, but I get socially burned out very easily. If a topic comes up that I am interested in, I can blab on for hours and drive people crazy.