• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Why are ENFPs the most "introverted extrovert"

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
IMG_0371.jpg
Every time I take the test, I either get INFP or ENFP, and there is always no more than a 1% preference for either introversion or extroversion. I am surrounded by many people at once yet disconnected to them. I start conversations out of the blue with people, then leave to do something else alone that crosses my mind. Do you guys have any theory ideas?

bundleofsunshine

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think ENTPs might be the most introverted extrovert because they would be more choosy about who they are friends with then an ENFP would be. Also, ENFPs tend to be liked a lot by people and ENTPs tend to be an acquired taste, you ever love them or you hate them.

Starry

View attachment 18189
Every time I take the test, I either get INFP or ENFP, and there is always no more than a 1% preference for either introversion or extroversion. I am surrounded by many people at once yet disconnected to them. I start conversations out of the blue with people, then leave to do something else alone that crosses my mind. Do you guys have any theory ideas?

Humanmetrics...iirc... I think they base their E vs I results on social measures. Like there's a question..."When the phone rings I'm the first to answer it...or "I run to answer it"...something like that. Contrary to what so many here seem to believe...Ne is not dependent on "other" to do what it is designed to do... "Other" often introduces a limiting rather than expanding quality into the equation which is the domain of Je imo. ENFPs are cued by the external world and that's the extent of it. Any drive to socially/interpersonally interact beyond those cues is the work of some other element or trait.

I've mentioned quite a few times now though that I've noticed ENFP 7s have a tendency to make high use of an additional Perceiving function. I have a theory for why this is but will just say for now that this is similar and yet different to how 3, 6 & 9s have a tendency to make equal use of a Judging and Perceiving function. Because of this phenomenon I will test as INFJ from time to time...as I've seen [MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] do before as well (Ni).

I have long suspected you make higher use of Si in spite of Ne dominance which generate INFP results.

edit...this isn't even the thread you mentioned me in...how did this happen? I might not respond there...what was that talking about? ISTJs run the world and I don't fit in well

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
"As Extraverts they are not opposed to action, while as Intuitives, they are not opposed to reflection. In this sense, ENFPs represent a sort of hybrid between Introverts and Extraverts."

From ENFP Personality Type: The Creative Idealist

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] lmfao that edit :heart:

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Humanmetrics...iirc... I think they base their E vs I results on social measures. Like there's a question..."When the phone rings I'm the first to answer it...or "I run to answer it"...something like that. Contrary to what so many here seem to believe...Ne is not dependent on "other" to do what it is designed to do... "Other" often introduces a limiting rather than expanding quality into the equation which is the domain of Je imo. ENFPs are cued by the external world and that's the extent of it. Any drive to socially/interpersonally interact beyond those cues is the work of some other element or trait.

I've mentioned quite a few times now though that I've noticed ENFP 7s have a tendency to make high use of an additional Perceiving function. I have a theory for why this is but will just say for now that this is similar and yet different to how 3, 6 & 9s have a tendency to make equal use of a Judging and Perceiving function. Because of this phenomenon I will test as INFJ from time to time...as I've seen [MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] do before as well (Ni).

I have long suspected you make higher use of Si in spite of Ne dominance which generate INFP results.

edit...this isn't even the thread you mentioned me in...how did this happen? I might not respond there...what was that talking about? ISTJs run the world and I don't fit in well

My weakest function would have to be Te or maybe Si. I'm much more staid and quiet than ENFP's I see on youtube, and people think I look and act about 10 years older than I really am. When I tell people I'm only 21, they are always shocked and exclaim, "I thought you were at least 30!" I get similar responses on message boards. When I met with the dean at college lately to file a formal complaint about a professor, she brought up there were complaints about me from several students because I knew too much about them and those students thought I might be stalking them. In reality, I just see patterns of behavior and it is easy to get in most peoples heads. As it turns out, I am the hardest person to try to figure out from my own perspective because I am in my own blindspot. Why I LOOK 10 years older, I do not know, but people say I act older and talk like an older person because of "insight into people." I also deal with ADHD, and mostly outgrown autism. When I was really young, like, right after my father passed away, I would get hung up on silly details and shut down if my routines where changed. I also was worse of a hypochondriac back then. In some ways, I'm really good with people, but I'm bad about unnerving people, too.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Why is your second function Ni and mine Si?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Because ENFPs are often highly intellectual (sort of), they tend to have extended introverted phases earlier in life. They can be that boy or girl who reads a book at lunch. They tend to have a great turn of phrase, and tend to appreciate literature. Reading books is a rather solitary activity, so it lends itself to introverting.

I think they tend to explore, develop and ascertain their Fi values at this time. They often develop a sort of shell (very FiSi-influenced [Ne, too, though]) As they get older, they tend to come out of this shell. As they do, they tend to display NeFi and/or NeTe. The more introverted they are, the later they tend to come out of this shell. Strong-extrovert ENFPs might never go through these introverted phases. Or they might be less frequent / shorter-lived.

I think they tend to be more introverted than other extroverts for these reasons, and because Fi is very sensitive, and felt very deeply, and so along with intellectual Ne, lends itself well to introversion.

Because of the imagination and subjectivity of it all (N and F), their cognition allows them to create a whole world largely of their own imagination, which might be burst if it comes into too much contact with external objective reality (Te & Se) (hence why more immature ENFPs often reject Te and Se, in an infantile attempt to preserve their created reality, sans interference from objective reality).

PurpleDawn

ENFPs and ENTPs actually, and it's because we lead with Ne which is an "extraverted function" in the sense that we create ideas based on objects, events, principals, ect.. outside ourselves, and see endless possibilities in the outside world (Sky's the limit kind of outlook). However, Ne is the least "extraverted" of all the extraverted functions in the sense that it relies on theory, which is something that happens in our heads rather than outside ourselves. Add on Ti or Fi which are both "anti" in their own way, and you definitely don't get a social butterfly.

"I am surrounded by many people at once yet disconnected to them." - We ENFPs are theoretical (Ne) independent minded individualists (Fi) who tend to live in our heads. (Ne)

"I start conversations out of the blue with people, then leave to do something else alone that crosses my mind." - From what I've seen this sort of thing happens to a lot of ENFPs, we're strictly independent and like to do our own thing, but we also enjoy a bit of company when we get lonely seeing as though we're still extraverts.

Side Note: I've seen TONS of real and fictional ESFx mistyped as ENFPs in my day (I can make a pretty damn long list lol.....hell I might do that actually), so I wouldn't find it shocking if some people think ENFPs are more extraverted and social then we actually are.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you really sure you are 6w7 and not perhaps 6w5? :) Would be nice to finally meet one.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Im wondering do ENTP 7s also make extra use of a percivieng function as well or is it just ENFPs?.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Because of Intuition. Intuition makes you live inside your head more. And introversion is living inside your head

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are you really sure you are 6w7 and not perhaps 6w5? :) Would be nice to finally meet one.

I see both 6w7 and 6w5 in myself. I'm just a very heady type in general.

Starry

My weakest function would have to be Te or maybe Si. I'm much more staid and quiet than ENFP's I see on youtube, and people think I look and act about 10 years older than I really am. When I tell people I'm only 21, they are always shocked and exclaim, "I thought you were at least 30!" I get similar responses on message boards. When I met with the dean at college lately to file a formal complaint about a professor, she brought up there were complaints about me from several students because I knew too much about them and those students thought I might be stalking them. In reality, I just see patterns of behavior and it is easy to get in most peoples heads. As it turns out, I am the hardest person to try to figure out from my own perspective because I am in my own blindspot. Why I LOOK 10 years older, I do not know, but people say I act older and talk like an older person because of "insight into people." I also deal with ADHD, and mostly outgrown autism. When I was really young, like, right after my father passed away, I would get hung up on silly details and shut down if my routines where changed. I also was worse of a hypochondriac back then. In some ways, I'm really good with people, but I'm bad about unnerving people, too.

For quite some time now I've struggled when responding to your posts...knowing what to say in return...because you are all over the place in so many ways...saying one thing in one post and an entirely contradictory thing in another. Which I know happens for us because we often neglect to present all of what went into the statements we make and if only we had taken the time our audience would be hip to the fact we are actually referring to different things that merely seem the same due to all the Grand Canyons we create in a single conversation...

Still, I know my way around a Grand Canyon and am not confident that is all of what is occurring with you. I don't think you are in a position at this time to accurately assess all that is going on around you...and I especially do not trust your assessment of yourself and your own strengths, weaknesses and unfolding potential. I'm so proud of you...don't get me wrong. You are a scrapper. Someplace deep inside of you...I know you know your worth and you are refusing to give up. But I think you (still) have so much unprocessed trauma that keeps you flittering in the wind. You go this way and that...and then attempt to make sense of the glimpses you catch by running them through a faulty processor.

*staid* please...and yes I googled that word. And if you now start to identify as 6w5 just because chubber suggested it...my eyeballs will be eyeroll injured I think (chubber has typed me 6w5...no). Do you remember this?

Good day to everyone! I am 17 years old, male, ENFP, and hailed from the steaming humid subtropical hills of rural northwest Louisiana! I am very pleased to be here, and I hope I can keep it real enough that subsequent posters here aren't devoured by three-eyed green-spotted red unicorns on a sacred mission from the North Pole to bring wisdom to a secret underground society of chipmunks fighting an epic battle against horseflies.

Anyway, I write Sci-Fi and fantasy novels, paint surrealistic dreamscapes, and animate short films in my free time.

By day, I am a snowcone salesman.

It's the charm *chokes up a little bit*

It's the charm that gets me every time.
Welcome young ENFP - Magic Qwan.

^^When you first arrived...I hit you hard with all that I hold back on a daily basis. All the weirdness and bizarre comments. You know you are dealing with the *real thing* when you can immediately go full-ENFP and the other person doesn't miss a beat but rather returns the magic in kind. As time went on however you started struggling more and more which makes sense considering your age. But as I just said I don't trust the way you assess you and the world around you. I'm on standby though due to the fact I'm a scrapper. I trust wholeheartedly that you will find your way to the otherside.

Why is your second function Ni and mine Si?

Did I say it was okay for you to ask questions about my observation and subsequent brilliant theory?

I do not think Si is your second function...I think it is in the trunk. I actually think Si's position in your trunk has been one of the most consistently apparent things about you tbh. I think there are times you may make higher use of it though.

Starry

(hence why more immature ENFPs often reject Te and Se, in an infantile attempt to preserve their created reality, sans interference from objective reality).

c18ff5c3deccb62a45a3b96502504a5a_th.jpg

haha okay I'm kidding Zarathustra.
That was a beautiful post and yes...I read the entire Laura Ingalls Wilder series several times as a child because I knew how cool that looked.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For quite some time now I've struggled when responding to your posts...knowing what to say in return...because you are all over the place in so many ways...saying one thing in one post and an entirely contradictory thing in another. Which I know happens for us because we often neglect to present all of what went into the statements we make and if only we had taken the time our audience would be hip to the fact we are actually referring to different things that merely seem the same due to all the Grand Canyons we create in a single conversation...

Still, I know my way around a Grand Canyon and am not confident that is all of what is occurring with you. I don't think you are in a position at this time to accurately assess all that is going on around you...and I especially do not trust your assessment of yourself and your own strengths, weaknesses and unfolding potential. I'm so proud of you...don't get me wrong. You are a scrapper. Someplace deep inside of you...I know you know your worth and you are refusing to give up. But I think you (still) have so much unprocessed trauma that keeps you flittering in the wind. You go this way and that...and then attempt to make sense of the glimpses you catch by running them through a faulty processor.

*staid* please...and yes I googled that word. And if you now start to identify as 6w5 just because chubber suggested it...my eyeballs will be eyeroll injured I think (chubber has typed me 6w5...no). Do you remember this?

^^When you first arrived...I hit you hard with all that I hold back on a daily basis. All the weirdness and bizarre comments. You know you are dealing with the *real thing* when you can immediately go full-ENFP and the other person doesn't miss a beat but rather returns the magic in kind. As time went on however you started struggling more and more which makes sense considering your age. But as I just said I don't trust the way you assess you and the world around you. I'm on standby though due to the fact I'm a scrapper. I trust wholeheartedly that you will find your way to the otherside.

Did I say it was okay for you to ask questions about my observation and subsequent brilliant theory?

I do not think Si is your second function...I think it is in the trunk. I actually think Si's position in your trunk has been one of the most consistently apparent things about you tbh. I think there are times you may make higher use of it though.

Why would the dean make the comment that other students think I'm stalking them and make them uncomfortable? A lot of times, I don't even notice other students. Also, she mentioned professors disliking how I blurt out "tangentally related topics" during class.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

You feeling jealous there Starry? :laugh: ok but seriously, we don't want your eyeballs to fall into your insides, it's just going to be all brown and stuff.

ok ok, I'll really get serious now. Uhm, yeah I recall sending you a rep, unless you can track it, but didn't I ask you if you were 6w5? Or did you take that as a typing? Anything else you want to mention?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems they may think of themselves this way because of stereotypes about extroverts and introverts. In attempt to balance the negative social view of introverts, the pendulum can swing the other way and make them sound like they are the deep, insightful, intuitive people and that extroverts are shallow, chatty social butterflies. I don't think ENFPs are the most introverted Es (because I think that's more of an individual thing), but some extrovert stereotypes may not fit them as a whole. That's true of all the dichotomies.

I admit, when it gets to the point where people want to take all the associated positives of a particular dichotomy but not of the negatives, I find it annoying. It starts to sound like "ENFPs - all the benefits of the introverts but none of the annoyances!". Must be nice to have it all...

Anyhow, as someone who is markedly introverted, I don't experience ENFPs as being "introverted extroverts" at all. I think people confuse intuition with introversion.