• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Help an INTJ understand an INFP friend.

Litsnob

I am very willing to admit that I might just be venting my frustrations here more than anything but I am interested in what anyone can add to my understanding of how my friend thinks.

I have two INFPs and one ENFP in my life. One INFP is my son and we really get each other. The ENFP is a friend I've had for decades and while we are very different in many ways we tend to get each other too. I have an INFP friend I am not as close to and while I really like her she also drives me nuts. One of her favourite things to say is that she doesn't like boxes, can't be put in a box, doesn't believe in boxes. What I hear is ignorance speaking, refusal to admit that boxes do exist and a challenge to put her in a box and tape the lid shut. I try to explain that for instance if you had a box in which all mathematical equations that equal 4 are to be put or a box for all words that have soft C in them, those are valid boxes. She basically refuses to categorise anything or admit that there might be a best category choice for something and any time I mention something in a sense of categorising it she gives an irritating little smile and says, 'You know I don't like boxes.'

I don't care if you don't like them, that is like saying you don't like dogs so you refuse to believe dogs exist or have any use. I find this irritatingly blind and stupid and while I am aware that the best thing to do is avoid such conversations with her, the fact that I think in terms of systems and categorising and organising things means it tends to inevitably come up somehow. She seems to live her life defining and categorising nothing. I don't even know how she can function.

My second admission is that I will probably never actually think she is correct in her thinking, only that she is entitled to her inaccurate opinion.

I would like to know how typical this is of INFP or is it perhaps some other aspect of her personality such as being dropped on her head as an infant. If you are someone who also thinks in this way, please tell me how this works for you.

UPDATE: I was trying to keep this generic -ish, and not reveal any specifics which might possibly be interfering with my ability to explain myself or exactly the behaviour I am objecting to in my friend. This friend is repeatedly convinced I have criticised her, tried to fix her, or somehow interfered with her ability to just enjoy life. This is the response to anytime I express my own view, opinion or understanding of reality, in response to her expressing her own. IN other words, unless I just agree and tell her how wonderful she is, I am attacking and undermining her. She has written long and public diatribes at me about all my faults and how horrible I am, all very passive aggressive and addressing me as 'dear friend' while saying that I am wrong and mean and bad. I have attempted twice already to clear up what seemed to be misunderstandings. I have graciously accepted an apology from her once for overreacting. It is now at a point where if she says oh look at that nice blue flower and I say did you know that flower variety also comes in purple? This is somehow offensive to her. She is not emotionally stable and I am done attempting to understand, forgive and sort out.

This is much more than disagreeing over whether things should be open ended or who is armed with the best list of facts. We have mutual acquaintances and can't quite escape each other online but definitely can in offline life.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi, Litsnob! :)

Please ignore my ESFJ typing as it's a joke Forever and I are doing. I'm actually fairly certain I'm an INFP.

And yeah, I hate being put in boxes. It makes me feel like the person isn't seeing /me/ but is simply seeing the surface-level stuff, like that I'm a college student who was home schooled and works at a coffee shop. I do think that the boxes are real, and I do fall into some stereotypes (like a lot of other home schoolers, I am a nerd who likes Doctor Who yaaaay and I can be a bit awkward) but those things aren't who I really am down inside. Fi is very focused on evaluating one's self, and I feel like the inner me is very fluid and kaleidoscopic, and so putting me in a box makes me feel unseen and isolated. Perhaps you could try making your friend feel like you see the real her? Complimenting her on her ideals would really help. Like, if she really values kindness, go out of your way to point out when she's being kind. Or if she really wants to change the world, tell her that you make her life better. It will probably give her a huge rush of joy like endorphins being released like crazy, because she'll feel like you're seeing the twisting muddle of who she is and what she values that's buried beneath her surface.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*pulls off mask for a second*

Wait what? You as an INFP, I thought you were an INFJ trying on different types? Huh. Cool beans. [MENTION=30445]thepink-cloakedninja[/MENTION]

*puts it back on*

Pinkie darling is such a sweetie.

Litsnob

Please ignore my ESFJ typing as it's a joke Forever and I are doing. I'm actually fairly certain I'm an INFP.

And yeah, I hate being put in boxes. It makes me feel like the person isn't seeing /me/ but is simply seeing the surface-level stuff, like that I'm a college student who was home schooled and works at a coffee shop. I do think that the boxes are real, and I do fall into some stereotypes (like a lot of other home schoolers, I am a nerd who likes Doctor Who yaaaay and I can be a bit awkward) but those things aren't who I really am down inside. Fi is very focused on evaluating one's self, and I feel like the inner me is very fluid and kaleidoscopic, and so putting me in a box makes me feel unseen and isolated. Perhaps you could try making your friend feel like you see the real her? Complimenting her on her ideals would really help. Like, if she really values kindness, go out of your way to point out when she's being kind. Or if she really wants to change the world, tell her that you make her life better. It will probably give her a huge rush of joy like endorphins being released like crazy, because she'll feel like you're seeing the twisting muddle of who she is and what she values that's buried beneath her surface.

Thanks those are great suggestions. I do think that I do those things but I will try to do them more. It's kind of that we have an interest in a similar topic but approach it differently only she insists she is winging it and free to choose anything and I keep pointing out that she is actually fitting quite well into a particular system. This irritates her and then I get irritated because her defense is to imply that the systems are flawed and that she needs to be free. I suppose perhaps I am essentially pointing out to her that she's not as free as she thinks she is and of course she wouldn't like that. That is undermining everything she believes in. My problem is that I think she is wrong and I have a hard time leaving people alone to be wrong. I know that is entirely my problem. LOL

Your avatar scares me!

Litsnob

Wait...isn't INFP a box?

Litsnob

Have you asked her why she doesn't like categorization?

Yes, She says she is an intuitive ( so am I actually ) who likes to be free and wild with no restrictions and only she gets to decided who and what she is. I am paraphrasing but she does use the words free and wild. To me this is like a blonde insisting she is a redhead.

Last edited:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Yes, She says she is an intuitive ( so am I actually ) who likes to be free and wild with no restrictions and only she gets to decided who and what she is. I am paraphrasing but she does use the words free and wild. To me this is alike a blonde insisting she is a redhead.

Have you asked her what she means by free and wild with no restrictions?

My problem is that I think she is wrong and I have a hard time leaving people alone to be wrong.

What about leaving people alone to be wrong bothers you? What does this feel like to you?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yes, She says she is an intuitive ( so am I actually ) who likes to be free and wild with no restrictions and only she gets to decided who and what she is. I am paraphrasing but she does use the words free and wild. To me this is alike a blonde insisting she is a redhead.

I have two ENFP's. They are both like this, maybe less now that they're older. I don't questions this about them. Let them be what they want to be. Yes I get your irritation but you just need to let them sit there in their wrongness and be wrong. And accept that. Unless it's directly impacting me - such as them taking an hour to order something at a restaurant - I choose my battles with them.

Litsnob

I have two ENFP's. They are both like this, maybe less now that they're older. I don't questions this about them. Let them be what they want to be. Yes I get your irritation but you just need to let them sit there in their wrongness and be wrong. And accept that. Unless it's directly impacting me - such as them taking an hour to order something at a restaurant - I choose my battles with them.

I think you are right. I seem to blunder into conversations where my INFP gets defensive and starts accusing me of using boxes. I then find myself explaining things and then she accuses me of thinking she is stupid. Which might be true. Or perhaps not using the brains she has. You are right though, about picking battles. I seem to end up in battles I was not intending but I am beginning to learn how to get out of them gracefully. Probably my greatest challenge is to learn to stop instinctively explaining and expounding. Thanks for your input.

Litsnob

What about leaving people alone to be wrong bothers you? What does this feel like to you?[/QUOTE]

I thought I had answered this but now I don't see my response here so I must have neglected to post it. No idea what I said the first time, but I don't think I can put my finger on what it 'feels' like other than uncomfortable. I suspect that idea of people ignoring facts and reality is disturbing to me. Also, because I want to know the facts, have all the information so I can make the best decisions, and understand how things work, it is very difficult to comprehend that someone would choose not to. It doesn't make sense.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I thought I had answered this but now I don't see my response here so I must have neglected to post it. No idea what I said the first time, but I don't think I can put my finger on what it 'feels' like other than uncomfortable. I suspect that idea of people ignoring facts and reality is disturbing to me. Also, because I want to know the facts, have all the information so I can make the best decisions, and understand how things work, it is very difficult to comprehend that someone would choose not to. It doesn't make sense.

(Not a loaded question, a genuine exploration) What makes you think that you are the arbiter of facts and reality?

Litsnob

(Not a loaded question, a genuine exploration) What makes you think that you are the arbiter of facts and reality?

Good questions. I don't think that and don't think I said that. I certainly didn't intend to say that. If someone wants to publicly assert in my presence that vaccines are toxins it's possible I am going to want to engage that person if that person is a friend. If the person is a stranger, probably not. I will want to know what evidence this person has for this statement and I will provide counter with evidence for my position. IN the case of vaccines not being toxic or causing autism I have science behind me. If a person wishes to assert that science lies or is not a valid way of knowing things we aren't going to get anywhere. If a person states an opinion that is new to me and has evidence to support it and it counters something I previously thought then I am interested in hearing about that evidence. I do not assume that something is a fact because it is what I think.

Now, I do not think it is my personal job to go out into the world spreading facts and reality but I do know that I live in a world where misinformation causes damage so if I can contribute to someone reconsidering a viewpoint or provide someone with information he/she did not previously have then I will do so.

If a person asserts an opinion in a public space it is up for discussion. If I discuss it and do not agree with any or parts of it that does not mean I am telling someone that I am right and they are wrong. It means I am discussing an issue and if they didn't want to discuss it they should not have asserted it publicly or directly to me in a conversation.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*pulls off mask for a second*

Wait what? You as an INFP, I thought you were an INFJ trying on different types? Huh. Cool beans. [MENTION=30445]thepink-cloakedninja[/MENTION]

*puts it back on*

Pinkie darling is such a sweetie.

Wait what? I thought you thought I was an ISTJ? :/

Well ... I genuinely thought I was an INFJ for awhile, but now I'm like 85% sure I'm a Ne/Si and INFP seems the best fit, for now. :) ESFJ and ENFP are also contenders though. :)

Thanks those are great suggestions. I do think that I do those things but I will try to do them more. It's kind of that we have an interest in a similar topic but approach it differently only she insists she is winging it and free to choose anything and I keep pointing out that she is actually fitting quite well into a particular system. This irritates her and then I get irritated because her defense is to imply that the systems are flawed and that she needs to be free. I suppose perhaps I am essentially pointing out to her that she's not as free as she thinks she is and of course she wouldn't like that. That is undermining everything she believes in. My problem is that I think she is wrong and I have a hard time leaving people alone to be wrong. I know that is entirely my problem. LOL

Your avatar scares me!

Ohhh that makes sense. And I definitely get that it can be hard with people who seem to ignore what we see as obvious. *ahem* My biological dad is obsessed with conspiracy theories ... *gulp* And not wanting to leave people you care about stuck in flawed thinking can definitely be a sign you value them even if the person who is subjected to your caring doesn't feel cared for. xD Perhaps you could help her see the boxes, but in a softer manner than you are doing now? Like, maybe you culd sandwich your arguments against her point of view between things that you both agree on so that way she doesn't feel attacked or anything. Oreo effect for the win! :D

As for INFP being a box ... MBTI is definitely a box which is why I don't define myself by my type. I acknowledge that it's there and think MBTI is cool, but I think who I am is much larger than just an INFP. :)

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wait what? I thought you thought I was an ISTJ? :/

Well ... I genuinely thought I was an INFJ for awhile, but now I'm like 85% sure I'm a Ne/Si and INFP seems the best fit, for now. :) ESFJ and ENFP are also contenders though. :)

What?? You as an ISTJ? it was very clear from day one you were a feeler to me that's for sure. I might've thought ISFJ but you're on my TBD list of accurately typed or not so I'm at complete peace wherever your journey may lead you too. Plus I like you as an individual on this forum too.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What?? You as an ISTJ? it was very clear from day one you were a feeler to me that's for sure. I might've thought ISFJ but you're on my TBD list of accurately typed or not so I'm at complete peace wherever your journey may lead you too. Plus I like you as an individual on this forum too.

Oh, well you said I was a beaver and so I thought that beaver = ISTJ FEEL ALL THE FEELS! AND EVERYBODY ELSE'S FEELS, TOO!!!!!!!!!! *runs off holding cool looking flag*

But that makes sense. :)

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, well you said I was a beaver and so I thought that beaver = ISTJ FEEL ALL THE FEELS! AND EVERYBODY ELSE'S FEELS, TOO!!!!!!!!!! *runs off holding cool looking flag*

But that makes sense. :)

Oh.. no I was more saying you were a symbolic beaver.. not what people have conceived a beaver to be based on some silly personality website. Plus I just thought of a random animal and researching it actually was pretty profound guess. :cool:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you are right. I seem to blunder into conversations where my INFP gets defensive and starts accusing me of using boxes. I then find myself explaining things and then she accuses me of thinking she is stupid. Which might be true. Or perhaps not using the brains she has. You are right though, about picking battles. I seem to end up in battles I was not intending but I am beginning to learn how to get out of them gracefully. Probably my greatest challenge is to learn to stop instinctively explaining and expounding. Thanks for your input.
What does your friend do when she has to fill out forms, say at the doctor's office? They ask us to choose male or female, single/married/divorced/widowed, employed/student/at home, smoker/drinker/none of the above, etc.

There is actually nothing wrong about your friend not liking boxes, or feeling they don't describe her, or even not believing in them. These are all her own opinions, to which she is entitled. Now claiming she can't be put into a box is wrong, as all those forms show. All she can claim here is that the box describes her poorly and minimally at best. So, it is fine for her not to like them, as long as she is willing to work with them when the time comes. They constrain her freedom only if she allows them to do so.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't care much about the box thing. :shrug:
A few anecdotes here and there from people who know supposed INFPs who dislike boxes doesn't really hold up well in the face of typology communities filled to the brim with INFPs who readily embrace the label. We are possibly the most populous type in these communities. Isabel Myers herself was an INFP and she invented this system to categorize people!

So no, it's not an "INFP thing" to reject all forms of categorizating.

What I don't like is to have people ascribe me bad motive because they jump to conclusions about what certain behavior or choices must mean. Maybe that is what your friend means by boxes she doesn't like - making negative assumptions about people because you reduced them or their behavior to something overly simplistic and didn't consider alternatives. Not considering alternative interpretations rubs Ne the wrong way. It's not asking you to defy logic....it's saying to widen the scope and perhaps realize you didn't have all the data points to draw an accurate conclusion with your snap judgement.

The way I see people use boxes is often illogical. Their reasoning looks like this to me:
"People who wear purple often seem to like pancakes. You wear purple. You must like pancakes."
Another form is majorly projecting:
"That purple colors grabs my attention. You must be wearing purple because you're an attention whore!"
"If I wore purple, then it would be because I am rebelling against what I feel is a more mature choice of grey. That person wearing purple is so inappropriate and immature."

So to me, it's just a lot of stereotypical BS. I don't think people actually, consciously use crappy reasoning as shown above, but I think they jump to a conclusion about something as if it's an unquestionable reality and not an interpretation which has possible bias in it.

Obviously your frienemy uses SOME categories or she wouldn't identify as "intuitive" or assign colors to flowers. Language itself defines and categories. But don't point that out to her if she feels like your correct and criticize her a lot. :D

I suspect there is far more to this, and sometimes IxFPs give up on explaining their whole view or never attempt to begin with because they don't want to be that vulnerable. In other words, "I don't like boxes" might be some stock phrase she goes to out of frustration, not bothering to detail what value was actually violated and how. Perhaps that seemingly protects the value even more (by keeping your nose miles off its scent) and also saves a lot energy. Getting people to grasp your reason for something (because feeling is reasoning - oh yes it is!) often requires them to majorly shift their perspective at the same time. It asks them to change their premise, which is often a bias about what reality is like, something that can make them feel threatened to question. So instead of going through all that, a flippant response to basically tell someone to STFU seems preferable.

------

Anyhow, I have clashed with an INTJ who is an enneagram 1 and quite a different animal than the enneagram 5 variety (who I usually get along okay with). To me, he has a "my way or the highway" attitude, but then gets all pissed off when people choose the highway. He also jumps to the worst conclusions about people. He gives no benefit of the doubt and has zero empathy. Also, if something annoys him or seems wrong to him, it is addressed as if it is an objective standard and not a particular preference or viewpoint of his. Yet, when it comes to his flaws, well, people should forgive and laugh it off. He doesn't seem aware he even has flaws though. The double standards get to me, and when you have that big of a stick up your butt, you really don't have room for double standards. Confusing preferences for objective standards is another annoyance of mine. It makes people inflexible and unreasonable to me. I don't bother to reason with him because he gets so butthurt. He is so stubborn, that I feel like I end up attacking him personally to get his mind to open a smidgen. He can't handle being wrong ever, and the only way to get him to see another way is to be like, "YOU ARE HURTING PEOPLE" and then he overreacts to the idea that he hurts people... So instead I mostly ignore him.

I'm sure this INTJ's take on our personality clash is quite different. He might tell you I am rebellious, disruptive and unreliable. He would think this stems from arrogance and carelessness on my part. But that's because he ascribes the worst motive possible for everything. To me, he comes across as a miserable person who wants to make everyone as joyless as he is. Most of this reeks of unhealthy enneagram 1, and my being a 4, that seems more at the heart of our differences than Jungian type. I seriously thought this guy was ESTJ because the e1s I've encountered before who were like this happened to be ESTJ, but he tests and identifies as INTJ, and he does display intuitive preferences at times (ENTJ still seems a possibility).

I mainly brought this up to illustrate how an issue looks very different from the other side...

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh.. no I was more saying you were a symbolic beaver.. not what people have conceived a beaver to be based on some silly personality website. Plus I just thought of a random animal and researching it actually was pretty profound guess. :cool:

Ah, I see. :)

But I've actually realized I'm a duck billed platypus. Either that or a moss hedgehog/water bear.