• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] You know you're an INFJ when...

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've had more than one teacher wondering about my hearing comprehension in learning a language. And I can relate to just knowing what the other person is saying. Even if I shoudn't because of my actual skill level being lower.
But then again, I learn by listening.

What type or learners are you? Visual, kinesthetic, auditory etc..?

I'm very much Visual/kinesthetic - I need to see something and then do it myself to learn best. Auditory is more in the background for me - as a sort of running commentary or analysis of what's happening around me. If someone is explaning something verbally to me, I have to make pictures in my mind to fully understand what they are saying.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I've had more than one teacher wondering about my hearing comprehension in learning a language. And I can relate to just knowing what the other person is saying. Even if I shoudn't because of my actual skill level being lower.
But then again, I learn by listening.

I'm much like Appollanaut about the auditory and visual. If I cant use the concept and toy with it, it gets stagnant and slips out of my head very quickly. In school I find that I automatically mess with concepts in class, usually by making my own math equation or sentence in a language.

With foreign languages, I think I need drilling to get used to the feel of words before I understand things. I did have a Chinese instructor for nearly a year, but it was an awkward situation and I don't think I got much out of it besides pronunciation. Being a self-conscious perfectionist doesn't help my speaking either :doh:

With languages do you struggle with pronunciation or grammar the most? For me its grammar, I get pronunciation well and easily but I am never sure if I got the grammar right. (Finnish is an exception, it seems to work with how I speak, I add suffixes mostly, especially in speech.)

S

Sniffles

Grammar is a pain for me to learn. This is especially true when trying to learn languages like Russian.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
INFJ if... You can be sure of some idea one minute, and the next some new information, that might not even matter, makes you feel totally shaky on your idea. This caused me a lot of trouble when even trying to figure out my type among other problems.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
When I was learning a foreign language I knew what a person was saying to me and could carry on a conversation outside of class. However, I couldn't pick out the words the person said, so obviously I didn't know what the singular words meant. (There was a delay of a few seconds after they spoke before I knew what they said.) I wonder if this an INFJ process for learning languages.

This is how I learned Dutch when I spent 10 months in the Netherlands; I was pretty good by the end, but it was still difficult for me to translate exact meanings in things; I knew what they meant, I just didn't know what they were, if that makes sense :B

I am a visual/auditory learner, though, so that helped, I think.

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

In general, the act of writing what I learn internally processes the information for me. I usually don't look at it again. Does that correspond to one of these learning types?

sade

I'm much like Appollanaut about the auditory and visual. If I cant use the concept and toy with it, it gets stagnant and slips out of my head very quickly. In school I find that I automatically mess with concepts in class, usually by making my own math equation or sentence in a language.

With foreign languages, I think I need drilling to get used to the feel of words before I understand things. I did have a Chinese instructor for nearly a year, but it was an awkward situation and I don't think I got much out of it besides pronunciation. Being a self-conscious perfectionist doesn't help my speaking either :doh:

With languages do you struggle with pronunciation or grammar the most? For me its grammar, I get pronunciation well and easily but I am never sure if I got the grammar right. (Finnish is an exception, it seems to work with how I speak, I add suffixes mostly, especially in speech.)
Grammar is a pain for me too. Pronunciation and the rhythm of the language come easiest. But I keep forgetting the grammar rules, unless they come from the spine, so to say. (The suffixes are known to be the hardest part so that's thumbs up if you get them well. :smile: )

I'm pretty auditory person, I'd say, but the toughest part in class is keeping up concentration to voice.. So I doodle or make notes at the same time. I'd say visual is my second strongest and helping. While listening, things naturally draw patterns inside my mind and I tend to remember the details and describtions the lecturer has spoken, and things make more sense when someone speaks them outloud. (?). So it's easy to remember them for me. But the more detailed thing it is the more I'm going to need some visual clue also.

karenk I remember that being part of the process to refress the learned things. It sounds kinesthetic to me, since it's more of a 'hands on' approach.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
^ Suffixes work well with me when I grind out the sentence in writing, but in speech: :cry: ( :) ) - Not nearly enough fluent speakers of cool languages where I live until I decide to practice Spanish.

Who here finds jokes about jobs/race/stereotypes humorous? For me they're funny, but not in a domineering way, just looking at the differences in people in a humorous way. As long as they aren't taken seriously I think they're great :D

I have trouble keeping up with my own train of thought, and then it gets derailed and I have to pick up somewhere. If I can follow it for a good length of time I get a lot of great insights, like finishing a Rubik's cube. Anyone else have this happen often?

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In general, the act of writing what I learn internally processes the information for me. I usually don't look at it again. Does that correspond to one of these learning types?

That's a kinaesthetic learning style.

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's a kinaesthetic learning style.

Thanks.

(Now I feel extra irritated the ESxJs at my last job had strong reactions to writing since it's just another learning style. ugh!)

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
INFJ if... You can be sure of some idea one minute, and the next some new information, that might not even matter, makes you feel totally shaky on your idea. This caused me a lot of trouble when even trying to figure out my type among other problems.

Hmm, yes. I may not always check the facts when I come up with an idea, but the second information I hadn't considered appears, I'm jumpy and absolutely ready to rebuild the idea from the ground up with consideration for that information. Which makes me bad in debates/discussions when I haven't done my homework. I have low "conceptual" confidence.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Hmm, yes. I may not always check the facts when I come up with an idea, but the second information I hadn't considered appears, I'm jumpy and absolutely ready to rebuild the idea from the ground up with consideration for that information. Which makes me bad in debates/discussions when I haven't done my homework. I have low "conceptual" confidence

(What do you mean by 'conceptual confidence?')

For me, everything is up in the air and when I develop a sort of 'plan' of understanding (Like in math, I understand the new concepts by building off of the old, making them 'mine'). If the plan needs to be reworked I get irritable because I have to start over from the start to get that new information to fit. It's mostly a low-energy thing I think, when I have high energy I'll roll with it.

I find that I doodle during lectures since it takes effort for me to conceptualize through words, if I have a piece of text I slowly grind through it, making notesi n the margins and doodling little visual diagrams. I am definitely a visual/kinaesthetic learner.

In debates, I hate being limited by a certain side (Unless I believe in it) so I just questioned everyone's reasoning to promote a deeper grasp of the concept among everyone. These were in discussions on Supreme Court cases in a government class. (A Socratic Seminar if youre familiar with it)

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
(What do you mean by 'conceptual confidence?')

Oh, I was trying to come up with a term for lacking confidence with ideas or thoughts. By that I mean what I described in my previous post. Being unsure about the validity of my thoughts and very anxious in the face of contrary information.

I find that I doodle during lectures since it takes effort for me to conceptualize through words, if I have a piece of text I slowly grind through it, making notesi n the margins and doodling little visual diagrams. I am definitely a visual/kinaesthetic learner.

I do the same, except my doodles have nothing to do with the lecture. They just help to focus on what I'm hearing.

In debates, I hate being limited by a certain side (Unless I believe in it) so I just questioned everyone's reasoning to promote a deeper grasp of the concept among everyone. These were in discussions on Supreme Court cases in a government class. (A Socratic Seminar if youre familiar with it)

So, you tend to play Devil's Advocate just to get someone who's very one-sided to consider how similar the issue is for the opposing side and end up doing it for both sides impartially? (That may have been what you're saying anyway.)

Because I've done that.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Oh, I was trying to come up with a term for lacking confidence with ideas or thoughts. By that I mean what I described in my previous post. Being unsure about the validity of my thoughts and very anxious in the face of contrary information.

Oh, That's exactly what happens for me. I'm rarely sure of my thoughts unless I'm in Shadow Mode, then I don't really thing so it doesn't matter :D

The main difference between me and my INTP friend is that he is more competitive and wants to win a game, while I want to enjoy playing it. In Age of Empires, for example, he likes to win and power-game, I like to watch my city grow and evolve.

I do the same, except my doodles have nothing to do with the lecture. They just help to focus on what I'm hearing.

I guess I do that to a point, but I don't think I'm actually listening to the teacher consciously for the most part. I draw a lot of eyes and abstract things. The faster I draw the better I do, I think its because I get so nitpicky otherwise. :cheese:

So, you tend to play Devil's Advocate just to get someone who's very one-sided to consider how similar the issue is for the opposing side and end up doing it for both sides impartially? (That may have been what you're saying anyway.)

Because I've done that.

For me its natural to do that. Ive been told I would be a great lawyer a few years back for it. I don't think so now since it requires lots of memorization and you're being payed to defend/attack one person, not to find out if he is guilty or innocent. I think I would be great on a jury though. ;)

-You know you're an INFJ when you remember more for other people than your remember for yourself sometimes.

SoAndSo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w?
-You know you're an INFJ when you remember more for other people than your remember for yourself sometimes.

all.the.time. I'm always brought in to tell the rest of the story.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I guess I do that to a point, but I don't think I'm actually listening to the teacher consciously for the most part. I draw a lot of eyes and abstract things. The faster I draw the better I do, I think its because I get so nitpicky otherwise. :cheese:

:D No way, you tend to draw eyes too? Eyes always end up showing up at some point when I doodle. Like I'm trying to create some sort of mirror or something.

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I've only ever been any good at technical drawing (blueprints for house designs and such) and geometric designs.

SoAndSo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w?
In order for me to pay attention in school, I had to draw. I only had one teacher understand that.

^Silent Stars - most of my drawing is very technical too. Very geometric and always symetrical.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Very geometric and always symetrical.

Me too! But they always come out runic or very abstract. I've toyed with making a different language/alphabet a few times but always get bored :rolleyes: - I tend to have more doodles than notes in class (And the occasional epiphany that I HAVE to write in the margins and keep)

I used to have a huge problem with art because I needed it to be PERFECT and all symmetrical, I hated the general body proportions part because of that reason, the details were fun. I'm actually toying with becoming an architect.

No way, you tend to draw eyes too? Eyes always end up showing up at some point when I doodle. Like I'm trying to create some sort of mirror or something.

Ive always wondered if the eyes had a symbolic meaning like: 'God is watching me' or 'I can see deep' - I think its both :p - The best doodle sessions are when my INTP friend and I go a stream of consciousness type thing on a large piece of paper, it turns out like a Where's Waldo picture :D

- You know you're an INFJ when in a team situation if there isn't another, more forceful J in tow, you're the gung-ho leader.

- And when sometimes you feel that if youre not working with people, you're wasting your time.

Thunderlight

MBTI Type
INFJ
- You know you're an INFJ when in a team situation if there isn't another, more forceful J in tow, you're the gung-ho leader.

So True! Whenever put into class groups I always wait to see if someone will take up the reigns. If no one does I groan inside because then I have to do all the assigning and prodding and such :D