• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] How observant are you?

SwimmerGal97

NFs aren't the types that are usually associated with being observant. I have a close friend who's an INFJ and I'm an ENFP. She walks around (I mean this in the nicest way possible) in an oblivious bubble! Details are not her strong point. I think the best example would be when we took exams together (we both did A-level biology however neither of us have any interest in being scientists :L ) and she would come out of the exam and say things like 'the atmosphere was so tense', 'I can believe ('X' tiny detail we barely covered in class) came up!' where as I'd be more inclined to comment on an invigilators shoes, how annoying it was that the clocks around the hall were all set at different times, that the girl two rows across and 4 seats down had dyed her hair and (trying not to sound smug but probably failing) would have mentioned that I got the answer to the ' 'X' tiny detail question' because I remembered sitting in a different seat in that class or that it was a class where someone was wearing a particularly memorable item of clothing. What about other NFs out there? Are you observant or not?

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Not clear answer from me, very situational. Being a HSP I may pay a lot of attention to every (annoying) detail surrounding me like someone clicking their pen on table, I notice a lot of what is going within and between people.

Sometimes I just don't pay any attention at all. At times I wish I still had an ability to be woved by nature and see how beautiful it is around me.

Maybe you could say I notice most of what is going on with people, much less about the environment.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would say that I can be more observant of abstract of conceptual things. When it comes to the solid physical world, while I may make some observations, there are many things I miss out on. If I am in a comfortable environment, I can be observant regarding art but I'm not a professional artist or anything. Also involving the characters in the picture, in a book, or on a show. I can pick up on vibes and things of interest or things about people I'm close with.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am observant of peoples behavior, and can pick up on sublte changes and patterns. I am a HSP too, and I also heard being abused increases your awareness of what I mentioned above.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
one more INFP HSP here. It depends, I think it has two types of situations: public spaces and my "safe environments". If I'm in an uncomfortable situation (and that is basically whenever I go out), I will notice every single detail from everything, from every single person. I will even pay attention to what strangers are saying even when I don't want to. It's involuntary and quite overwhelming, of course. If I'm in a "secure" place, I pay less attention simply because I don't feel so threatened by the environment. So yeah, I will probably notice that some random classmate of mine dyed their hair but look at my mom for a few days 'till I get "oh, you dyed your hair! That's why I got the impression that you looked different".

I’m observant about underlying motives and patterns and completely oblivious to surface statements and anything requiring me to notice or recall sensory details. Basically, I’m paying attention to the happenings at the bottom of a clear body of water and missing everything occurring directly on it’s surface.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I was about to post here but decided against it as [MENTION=33707]Population: 1[/MENTION] already described my level of superficial obliviousness to a T-shirt. I always thought sweater, but I'll take his word for it. :D

TricoFeathers

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
so
I can be pretty oblivious to my surroundings and am bad at attaching faces to names, recall of what people were wearing (unless it's something I really like), etc. I'm more likely to remember inflections, tone and pitch of voice, and how a situation made me feel. I don't always trust my memory of events for that reason. If I go into a situation feeling a certain way it can skew how I interpret or remember it later. I'm most observant about security or safety risks (my 6ishness in action, or my Si, or a bit of both), and making sure I'm safe and that people I care about aren't going to get into harm's way. The more safe I feel the more internalized I tend to be and the more I might miss in the moment.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Not very at all. I can go somewhere and not notice something for a very very long time.

Im oblivious to things to... what would be a a very distressing degree- had I not just accepted this about myself and told myself again and again- not to care.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Theoretically, INFP and ENFJ are more observant than INFJ and ENFP because they have both perceiving functions in the top three and thus no inferior perception.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
HSP ENTP here.. which might be odd.

Sensitive to vibrations, noises, visuals, intimacy, various kinds of energy. Even emotions. (Unless they hide them sometimes I can be too absorbed in myself to notice, which is why I want open honesty) Also taking in too much information at once can be overwhelming..

I'm oblivious to my surroundings and I depersonalize almost constantly. Where things feel fake. So that's nice.

Also forgetful. I remember faces a lot better than I do names. Sensory details I don't usually notice around me, aside from rare moments I immediately notice small ones. Which is weird.

But when it comes to reading people themselves I'm quite exceptional and can notice a lot. Body language spells so much. When someone has feelings for you, have intentions, when they're hurt, afraid, uncomfortable, ect.

I can usually tell if something is 'off' too but idk how to explain that.