• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and the Global Village

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
It makes sense to me, proteanmix, to see good living as a combination of the two - influencing what we can and not getting too hung up on what we can't.

This also requires some discernment about what is actually influencible.

Like most everything it is achieving a balance. And being able to accept "what is" over what we'd like. I think that gets a lot of folks in trouble with themselves and others.

Good point. No one wants to feel blown by the winds of fate.

G

Glycerine

Well, this may be very immature but I try to avoid the news for the most part (TV). Not to say that I'm oblivious to the major news but being constantly bombarded by negative news makes me extremely uncomfortable In a way. avoidance is my coping mechanism.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had an epiphany. You, being NF, tell me how accurate it is. I don't have much to say of it other than:

It doesn't seem NFs are built for an environment in which news of the wicked can reach them from anywhere on the globe without hindrance.

Add: This is not criticism in any way, shape or form, only an attempt to better understand the NFs relation to the world.

Uhhhh????

Please elaborate?

S

Sniffles

Well forgive me for putting a more philosophical spin to this discussion. As an NF, I find many faults with the whole concept of a "Global village". That assumes a level of intimacy with other people far away that simply cannot, nor should, exist.

This is not to say I'm against the concept of a universal concen for all humanity, far from it. Rather, I say that the version of that concept presented by the image of a "Global village" is built upon a flawed understanding of inter-human relations, and places such relations on an abstract level.

Inter-human relations on any geniune scale is built upon a concrete, rather than an abstract, basis. This means, among other things, placing limits upon who you show love and concern for. I cannot love everyman as if they were literally my brother(or sister). To do so means to undermine the value of such love, in more ways than one. First, the more people you love, the less love you're able to give to each person. So ironically, the more people you love, the more meaningless it becomes.

Second, in terms of the image of a family or "village", such forms of human solidairity are formed on a basis of exclusion of some sort: that is I have a more special relation with some people more than others. That is why the old saying goes that blood is thicker than water. This has been the basis for families and communities since time immemorial.

But as I said, this need not nor should not lead one to dismiss a geniune concern for all humanity; but one must set their priorities right. That means having primary concern for those whom one has more immediate contact and concern for. Too often people are so concerned about the poor starving kid in Africa they see on TV, they forget the poor starving children in their own neighborhoods.

Just my random incoherent thoughts on the matter.