• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] To INFP Ladies

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And INFP men as well if you find yourself in this situation:

My fellow INFP ladies, do you ever find yourself annoyed by MBTI stereotypes about you as these emotional, clingy, easily manipulated, dreamy creatures who think of nothing but love all day long and cannot be tough and assertive queens to save our lives?

I come across so many tumblr blogs, don't get me started on personality cafes and other websites saying shit like:
"Want nothing but love and to be loved in return...," etc. And then there are the aesthetics where we're associated with delicate flowers, tears, crybabies, etc.

Often times, these posts are made by non-INFPs (mostly INTPs,) aha. No surprises there.

A month ago, I posted a picture of myself on an MBTI facebook page; Not to toot my own horn, but I was looking rather neat, seductive and sporting on dark lipstick and as you probably predicted, most people guessed :rolleyes: ENTJ or INTJ, sometimes INFJ.

It's like the idea of a tough, badass, regal or even sexy looking INFP woman cannot seem to get through anyone's heads.
Same in regards to personality. I am an INFP to the core as well as intelligent, challenging, highly independent, don't care about love, assertive, bad tempered, sassy, frank and opinionated.
I am studying to be a business woman and I love debates. While I do love art and music, I am practical enough to know it is difficult to survive in those fields.

But here in the MBTI community, I am painted as this pathetic, novel-heroine with low-self esteem, always crying and lovesick.

Any of you INFP girls out there relate to this problem or do you really apply yourself to these stereotypes?

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I thought it was obvious that YOU are not your mbti description. That's just a generalization. So, who cares?
It's meant to be a way to self improve. I see how it's slowly becoming a sort of new horoscope, though.

I care when generalizations are placed upon us to the point most mbti fanatics I meet assume I am subservient and weak willed and is condescending.

If you don't care, then well, no one asked you to respond lmao.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
these stereotypes are more prevalent in the facebook mbti groups. you have it easy here.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like [MENTION=24618]misfortuneteller[/MENTION] said, those stereotypes really only exist in facebook MBTI groups. Occasionally, a bad troll wanders in here and goes off on some rant about "butthurt INFPs," but the mods never fail to take care of them >:) that's not what we're about. I've had pretty good debates with some of the trolliest NTPs here and, surprisingly, they don't discredit everything I say because of my type. I'm constantly amazed by how awesome the TypoC community is.

As far as I can tell, people on this site have an accurate perception of INFPs- our strengths, weaknesses, and the fact that we are not all the same.

But to answer your question, being judged like that was absolutely crushing and infuriating. INFPs are deep, passionate, full of ideas, and often very cynical. The idea of us all being idealistic unicorns who can't deal with reality is ridiculous.
I think a lot of social media groups are really unhealthy, and I've noticed that some people often attack and belittle others within those groups for some reason. It felt really shitty to not be able to post literally anything without someone saying that all my thoughts and opinions were due to me being a crybaby/whiner/special snowflake. I remember one group being particularly bad, where the admins (yes, the f*cking admins) would post this sort of bullshit: View attachment 17436
I will never go back to facebook MBTI groups for that exact reason.

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
these stereotypes are more prevalent in the facebook mbti groups. you have it easy here.

Easy? That's a very bad way to describe a place that is supposed to be accurate.
Don't praise a fish for swimming.

Facebook is a joke so I didn't mention it. I meant websites like Tumblr and Personality Cafe.

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Like [MENTION=24618]misfortuneteller[/MENTION] said, those stereotypes really only exist in facebook MBTI groups. Occasionally, a bad troll wanders in here and goes off on some rant about "butthurt INFPs," but the mods never fail to take care of them >:) that's not what we're about. I've had pretty good debates with some of the trolliest NTPs here and, surprisingly, they don't discredit everything I say because of my type. I'm constantly amazed by how awesome the TypoC community is.

As far as I can tell, people on this site have an accurate perception of INFPs- our strengths, weaknesses, and the fact that we are not all the same.

But to answer your question, being judged like that was absolutely crushing and infuriating. INFPs are deep, passionate, full of ideas, and often very cynical. The idea of us all being idealistic unicorns who can't deal with reality is ridiculous.
I think a lot of social media groups are really unhealthy, and I've noticed that some people often attack and belittle others within those groups for some reason. It felt really shitty to not be able to post literally anything without someone saying that all my thoughts and opinions were due to me being a crybaby/whiner/special snowflake. I remember one group being particularly bad, where the admins (yes, the f*cking admins) would post this sort of bullshit: View attachment 17436
I will never go back to facebook MBTI groups for that exact reason.

I wish I could say the same, but I have on occasion see people in this website say things like we are 'easy to manipulate,' and do pull out the 'INFPs are weak crybabies' card.
Of course I'm aware no places are perfect, but I need more INFPs stepping up to preserve our honor LMAO.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I wish I could say the same, but I have on occasion see people in this website say things like we are 'easy to manipulate,' and do pull out the 'INFPs are weak crybabies' card.
Of course I'm aware no places are perfect, but I need more INFPs stepping up to preserve our honor LMAO.

You haven't spent much time looking through older threads then. And, with a post like this, I'll be expecting to see your preservation attempts as well.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They're just trying to ruffle your feathers. A fair amount of people probably don't even know legit INFPs IRL anyway.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs are awesome. It takes a special kind of strength to hold onto your dreams and to remain soft in this callous world.
And I agree with you, Alassea, that the INFP stereotypes floating around on various social media are inaccurate and annoying; I know several INFPs and they're incredible people.

Justmeonhere

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The sterotypes annoys me but I think they're from people that are new to the theory or that have not understanded it the proprer way. Sometimes, on the net , I hear of people who run mock saying that if you're a logical people - guess what? You're not a INFP - Sterotypes bore me in tests though. Those little tests were they ask you if you're the funny genius (N) or a prson who never laughs (S), thee Albert Einstain of the new millennium (T) or a "dumb dreamer" (F) and in which I score always INTP :lol: They're in many ways disrespectfuls to Introverts, Sensors, Feelers and Perceptives. And many people do these test so they learn the theory in the bad way. Sterotypes are for all the MBTI types and they're easy for a laugh and a joke but when we reach serious discussion... not so much.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I care when generalizations are placed upon us to the point most mbti fanatics I meet assume I am subservient and weak willed and is condescending.

If you don't like the stereotypes, then don't be the stereotypes. No one is placing anything on you that you don't allow. There are several INFP's here that don't fit the stereotypes - how do you think that happened? And they don't get all pissy about it either. If you don't like what the fanatics say - I assume you have two feet. Walk away.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
INFPs are awesome. It takes a special kind of strength to hold onto your dreams and to remain soft in this callous world.
And I agree with you, Alassea, that the INFP stereotypes floating around on various social media are inaccurate and annoying; I know several INFPs and they're incredible people.

Hmmmmm, I'm very soft and I continue to cling to my dreams. I've tested as INFP before. :huh:

But yes, it really does. I think it's more about believing in yourself.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Those are the easiest people to put in their place. They are predictable and wrong. I just play with them, they become my entertainment.

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you don't like the stereotypes, then don't be the stereotypes. No one is placing anything on you that you don't allow. There are several INFP's here that don't fit the stereotypes - how do you think that happened? And they don't get all pissy about it either. If you don't like what the fanatics say - I assume you have two feet. Walk away.

I very well am walking away.

This thread I created was to gather thoughts from other INFPs as I like to hear their input and side of the stories.

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

"and to remain soft"

I hate to be this person, but this right here is another thing.
The generalization that us INFPs are inherently 'soft.'

Thanks for your input though~

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You haven't spent much time looking through older threads then. And, with a post like this, I'll be expecting to see your preservation attempts as well.

"I'll be expecting to see your preservation attempts as well"

Do you mind elaborating on what you meant by that? :huh:

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"and to remain soft"

I hate to be this person, but this right here is another thing.
The generalization that us INFPs are inherently 'soft.'

Thanks for your input though~
"soft" as in kind and caring towards others was meant to be a compliment. The idea that INFPs are generally kind and caring is included in the majority of the type descriptions found on acclaimed websites that make their statements based off of interviews and surveys taken from large sample sizes of the various MBTI types, so my statement was a stereotype, yes, but not a ridiculous one such as "all INFPs are easily manipulated" or "all INFPs are basically the reincarnation of Mother Teresa." There are always exceptions to the type descriptions, such as an INFP being inherently uncaring and cruel, but lashing out at everyone who makes a reasonable generalization is unfair as humans need generalizations to organize their world (according to my Communications textbook).

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"soft" as in kind and caring towards others was meant to be a compliment. The idea that INFPs are generally kind and caring is included in the majority of the type descriptions found on acclaimed websites that make their statements based off of interviews and surveys taken from large sample sizes of the various MBTI types, so my statement was a stereotype, yes, but not a ridiculous one such as "all INFPs are easily manipulated" or "all INFPs are basically the reincarnation of Mother Teresa." There are always exceptions to the type descriptions, such as an INFP being inherently uncaring and cruel, but lashing out at everyone who makes a reasonable generalization is unfair as humans need generalizations to organize their world (according to my Communications textbook).

"but lashing out at everyone who makes a reasonable generalization is unfair as humans need generalizations to organize their world"

Hold up. You are making the assumption that I am 'lashing' out at you lol?

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm fairly new to the study of personality types, but in gleaning what has been said concerning the different types online, the INTJs might have it the worst. Cyberbullying's not cool, but, it happens to everybody. Whatever... life is short!!

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm fairly new to the study of personality types, but in gleaning what has been said concerning the different types online, the INTJs might have it the worst. Cyberbullying's not cool, but, it happens to everybody. Whatever... life is short!!

I genuinely don't think so. INTJs are often seen as incredibly intelligent, independent and a mastermind.
All incredibly positive traits.

I much prefer this over 'soft,' 'emotional,' 'not intellectually stimulating,' or whatever that INFPs constantly get perpetuated with.

But yes. Life is too short.