• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENFP Anti Weakness

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
You know, I do understand the gist of 'anti-weakness' in ENFP and interesting that another ENXP like Sub picked up on the ENFP need for independence -- both in themselves and other people *to an extent*

However, I totally didn't find the description in the OP weak and not having heard the tone of voice over the phone or knowing the guy myself, I can't think of how I'd get irritated. Unless I thought the were being lazy or just expecting me to do something for them -- being needy.

I don't understand the concept of calling men 'weak' or being disgusted when they act like "wusses". I think it's endearing when a man shows a sensitive or vulnerable side. I interpret it as being comfortable enough with themselves and their masculinity to act naturally. Hiding behind masks and 'how men/women/etc.' are "supposed" to act is just lame, yo.

And always having to and expecting others to fit into roles (when not at work) is just way too limiting of the human experience.

I dunno, I also have antipathy to certain kinds of "weakness" but men acting "too girly" is definitely NOT one of them. I actually prefer men who can readily admit their feelings and being scared, hurt, etc. And you don't have to be a weepy, emo guy to do that. You can be multidimensional.

Anywhoo, maybe this non-issue for me is related to the fact that I have not and do not really date bio-males.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Okay, another experience for parallel?

Alrigh, I *DO* remember once I was really aggravated when two guests showed up 1 hour later than expected at our rented NYC loft for the weekend. I was maybe 9pm. And one woman was terrified to even step a foot into the street alone. She kept asking and asking for someone to "walk with her" up the street even after we explained to her she literally just had to retrace her steps and walk back 4 blocks that she came from. So I stood in the doorway and showed her the exact 4 block path to follow (that she'd already walked) and some guy turned the corner, when she saw him, she got scared and stepped quickly back into the house :doh:.

The neighborhood honestl IMO was NOT scary or sketchy. It was a Polish/Latin enclave in Brooklyn, no people loafing about, no drunken kids, nothing like that. Pretty quiet but businesses were open with some white hipsters or older folk, people were walking places. To me, I honestly felt SO MUCH safer there than I did in my 'hood of 4 years in DC.

Anywhoo, because of her repeated requests and refusal to leave the house by herself, I finally I had to interrupt what I was doing (eating and getting prepared to go out to a club we were all headed to) to walk her there and back. This woman is older than me and lives in a big city herself. And she's otherwise pretty confident and capable -- she's an IXTJ corporate lawyer.

I was really surprised and annoyed. I didn't think it was 'weak', but I definitely thought she was overly skittish and it really annoyed me that she went out of her way to inconvenience someone else and make them go out of their way. Especially because she was late (it was partly my fault I later realized) and the reason she had to leave the house was her own fault. That's one of the things I immediately thought about her whn I first met her months earlier -- that she doesn't seem to notice the needs of individuals in the group -- very low Ne and Fe?

Sooo -- if it doesn't inconvenience me and no one is asking me to do something for them that I think they are capable of doing easily themselves I don't mind shows of 'weakness'. And even if the show weakness, I don't think that makes someone a "weak person" per sae. The instance can annoy me. It's not about weakness though, it's about making demands on me that I think they shouldn't.

[And in retrospect, and even at the time, I *do* understand why she felt the way she did, even though I thought it was WAAAAY over-reacting]

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I understand what you're saying CzeCze, and it sounds wonderful.. but there are men whom are genuinely dependent, Know they are have no intentions of changing that, and latch onto the independence of their dates and milk them for all their worth. I've had it happen to me, and (Not saying it's right to judge everyone based on one experience.) after that you get very defensive about it and start picking up certain indicators on future men...

The directions aren't a big deal. Just as a man showing emotion, or being sensitive isn't bad either. It's just, to me, it seems the tone of voice he used and the way she was describing it (knowing the guy previously), a red flag went off in her head. No one wants to be stuck in that situation where they're being used.

Relationships are not the only thing. Friendships are also affected. If I see a friend cannot make decisions on their own and are entirely reliant on others.. I'm more than likely NOT going to call you when I need support and help, thus not needing you in important times or feel I can trust you enough to confide in you... making you more of an acquaintance at worst than a friend.

It doesn't mean I'd stop talking to that person, or shun them.. but the red flags just point that stuff out to me. I don't think its so much a gender thing, because I DON'T have many female friends because of the overwhelming number of flimsy dependent indecisive women I've known, but when it comes to looking for a good friend (and you Cannot date me until we've been friends first.) I need to know you have the capabilities of standing on your own. People are always allowed to fall, and fall short.. but to blow away at the first gust of wind makes for not a very sound person to entrust yourself in.

BlownAway

MBTI Type
ENFP
OK, so I have read much of what was said. I have had some people call me weak, for not being able to find my own way through things. But here is my problem: I have two BS's (engineering and ecology) but still I can't find a job, let alone a career; I have done and continue to do social things and I still can't seem to make friends who want to do things with me; and despite being on a few other social websites I can't land a single date (I barely get anything). I really am a great guy by all accounts. But do to the total lack of successes I often feel like a failure and it’s that feeling that annoys people. Now, to me, I am not weak; for from it. I do all I can, but I still can’t get anywhere in my life. That would be frustrating and also disillusioning for anyone.
Do I qualify as weak to anyone? Or normal?

You're not weak, you're just a normal ENFP! :) A bit of randomness, not being able to choose ONE careerpath, "scaring" people maybe by being too "profound" (at least that's a problem I have..both with making friends and dating)?

Lack of success, seen from an NF point-of-view or from the dominating SJ-view? In the SJ-world (sorry SJ:s but this is the main reason why you SUCK!) you have to live up to their terms of success, otherwise you're considered weak :(. Anyway, this seem like normal ENFP-problems in the SJ-world and I hope you wont let that get to you :). I'm struggling with the same things, being a female ENFP.

Reisende

MBTI Type
ENXP
Thanks, I hear what you're saying and see much of that in me. I still would want to be more of use...I feel useless for most of my life. I have so much I could do and I am fully willing, but if I am not giving the opportunities my options are all too limited. I am thinking about the Peace Corps, just to do something. Being an ENFP male is also tough, but I do have a very strong T component. Not that that is helping...

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
I don't associate weakness with sensitivty. Weakness makes me think of a person having no morals, selling out their friend etc, whereas sensitivity I see as having emotional depth and being perceptive, which is something I really value in people. People often seem to label those who get easily offended as being sensitive...nah, they just have big egos, lol. Genuinely sensitive people rock! lol

dorareever

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't associate weakness with sensitivty. Weakness makes me think of a person having no morals, selling out their friend etc, whereas sensitivity I see as having emotional depth and being perceptive, which is something I really value in people. People often seem to label those who get easily offended as being sensitive...nah, they just have big egos, lol. Genuinely sensitive people rock! lol

:thumbup:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
OK, so I have read much of what was said. I have had some people call me weak, for not being able to find my own way through things. But here is my problem: I have two BS's (engineering and ecology) but still I can't find a job, let alone a career; I have done and continue to do social things and I still can't seem to make friends who want to do things with me; and despite being on a few other social websites I can't land a single date (I barely get anything). I really am a great guy by all accounts. But do to the total lack of successes I often feel like a failure and it’s that feeling that annoys people. Now, to me, I am not weak; for from it. I do all I can, but I still can’t get anywhere in my life. That would be frustrating and also disillusioning for anyone.
Do I qualify as weak to anyone? Or normal?
Hey! Welcome to the forum. :hi:

ENFPs are really great. Just hang in there!
Maybe your online persona doesn't come across with all the charm that you have in person.
You're funny, right? And enthusiastic about stuff?
Probably somewhat of a gentleman?
You need to use real-life venues for that to come across.
That's my opinion anyway. I could be wrong.

BlownAway

MBTI Type
ENFP
Thanks, I hear what you're saying and see much of that in me. I still would want to be more of use...I feel useless for most of my life. I have so much I could do and I am fully willing, but if I am not giving the opportunities my options are all too limited. I am thinking about the Peace Corps, just to do something. Being an ENFP male is also tough, but I do have a very strong T component. Not that that is helping...

To admit to yourself and others that you want to make changes in your life and that you're not fully happy, is the biggest strength of all. Something you can be proud of :).

Also, ENFP:s do have so much potential in so many areas, which makes it hard to choose one thing. Have you tried coaching/selfcoaching or something like that? It might help you find what is right for you to do.

Reisende

MBTI Type
ENXP
Hey! Welcome to the forum. :hi:

ENFPs are really great. Just hang in there!
Maybe your online persona doesn't come across with all the charm that you have in person.
You're funny, right? And enthusiastic about stuff?
Probably somewhat of a gentleman?
You need to use real-life venues for that to come across.
That's my opinion anyway. I could be wrong.

You’re right; I am often told I am funny. I often try to be. Enthusiastic? Is there any other way to be? As far as gentlemanly I do hold doors open for people, regardless of gender. I am working on the real life venues, but it is hard when only two people ever want to get together with me. And let’s not go into dating… I have no idea what women are looking for these days…I won’t even go there. Big can of worms… Thanks for the input and encouragement! :)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
You’re right; I am often told I am funny. I often try to be. Enthusiastic? Is there any other way to be? As far as gentlemanly I do hold doors open for people, regardless of gender. I am working on the real life venues, but it is hard when only two people ever want to get together with me. And let’s not go into dating… I have no idea what women are looking for these days…I won’t even go there. Big can of worms… Thanks for the input and encouragement! :)
My husband's son (previous marriage) is an ENFP and I absolutely adore him!

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
*[Note to self: Don't ask ENFPs for directions]
*[New Goal: Be more like Han Solo]

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
i think enfps are some of the most soft hearted ppl out there. at one point in there life, TOO soft hearted. and got hurt by that. hence, they had to toughen themselves up. Therefore they expect you to do the same. plus they NEED freedom more than any other type.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm usually annoyed with "weakness" in men I'm dating because I'm "weak" in a sense myself..or sensitive and emotional might be a better expression. I don't like this side of myself, and therefore I don't want a partner to show this side either. He should be strong where I'm weak and the opposite. But when it comes to men in general and women, I don't care.

I agree. I can't deal with extraverted, gushy guys.

Actually, it's not so much helplessness/"weakness" that bothers me. It's more like...stupidity and taking my aid for granted that would piss me off. They have to at least try to work things out first. How do they expect to survive on their own? They can't keep relying on others. It pisses me off when people don't know things that are common knowledge, especially things which can be quickly figured out themselves using reasoning/logic and experimenting. In my opinion, knowing some things about the world and your surroundings should be your responsibility if you are a priviliged citizen. The other day, I heard a non-immigrant chick say "Hey, this city is an ISLAND?? I didn't know that." I was SO PISSED.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
this may be true for you (it is for me but for women). but all ENFPs... not necessarily.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well...i've never been with a guy who wasn't completely self reliant...but...i think i kinda find it attractive when they're not...maybe because i can relate to it...i like it when people are absent minded like me...i think i would've liked it....and i like sensitivity...but...yeah...not too much...and not more then me. :)

littledarling

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm usually annoyed with "weakness" in men I'm dating because I'm "weak" in a sense myself..or sensitive and emotional might be a better expression. I don't like this side of myself, and therefore I don't want a partner to show this side either. He should be strong where I'm weak and the opposite.

Yea, I definitely agree with this. I am truly an extremely sensitive/emotional/dependent person. But a lot of people don't know this about me, other than my truest bluest friends. And it's because I often feel this way, but don't ever act out on it. I go to great lengths to be strong and independent, not just because I don't want to be seen as "weak", but because having that sense of independence means a lot to me, when deep down I feel emotional and "weak". So if my significant other becomes really emotional or starts to look to me for every idea, plan of action, etc. I get super annoyed. I think it's because I try so hard to be strong and, 1: I feel they are being insensitive or are just completely clueless to the fact that I really do NOT enjoy making all the decisions and if they really knew me they would know that my hard exterior is really a bit of a facade. And 2: If I have to work so hard at staying in control and being responsible, then they should have to work just as hard and stop relying on me.