• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] ever asked "do we really have to do anything in this world?"

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
for NF folks (especially NFPs)
just been wondering lately,
after seeing this 'crazy and complex' humanity, life & this world,
don't u often wonder if we really have to do anything in life? (ie: you often ask yourself: "what's the point in doing all of this? does it really matter in the END anyway?" a lot)
because the 'illness' of NFP especially : once we're get focused in details, we soon just start mind-wandering endlessly again without stopping, and soon just easily lost interest in keeping-up with the details!

and plus, we all know that the 'details' of anything sometimes, or often must involved with the 'dirty' jobs that we probably dislike to do , ie: money-talks, bills, contracts, dealing with obnoxious people who probably want to take advantage of us (that's why we gotta be as cunning as them), 'fake' promotion or marketing, stuff like that..

and what would you do once you feel this kind of feelings?

i mean, don't u feel a bit 'shitty' and 'left-behind' when you see how most people (SJs especially) seems so 'easy' in determined & focused in doing their job, while we always lost interest easily & hard to kept focused in anything. yet we often kept doing it :/

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yes! I was just thinking this same thought the other day. It's completely depressing. And, I wonder, what am I really offering anyone? And then I wonder, is my lot in life just to feel deeply and think deeply about everything? Seems fruitless.

And, that's when I do a shot! ... or several!...

Haha. No.

I have taken on the mindset that the purpose of life is to enjoy it (and to enable others to enjoy it also). And so, instead of getting caught up in my thoughts and feelings (which is usually tiring and not fun), I try to focus on what I love doing or how I love being and simultaneously help others to do the same.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have a hard time just doing things, especially if ultimately they won't matter. But what I hate is those types that get things done criticizing me for being lazy or not doing anything. I do do stuff just not silly things like keep my room organized or dust.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, this is one of my major issues. I think I have gotten in some sort of balance with my worthlessness, though. There really is no point in anything, but that doesn't bother me anymore. I try to "optimize" my life, so that I have the least amount of stuff that I don't want and most the stuff I want.

The SJs go on with their routine, and in some way I envy them for not seeing it from my perspective. It is ridiculously hard for me to do simple things. I'd rather do nothing. On the other hand I wonder what is going on with them. How can they just push the button and never get tired of it? What are their goals? Is life really as easy for them as it seems to be?

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The SJs go on with their routine, and in some way I envy them for not seeing it from my perspective. It is ridiculously hard for me to do simple things. I'd rather do nothing. On the other hand I wonder what is going on with them. How can they just push the button and never get tired of it? What are their goals? Is life really as easy for them as it seems to be?

Actually, some of them DO have the same problem. I think everyone at some point must grapple with the "point of everything." However, I believe it manifests itself differently in each type. Some may arrive at that point sooner than others, though.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
niki said:
what's the point in doing all of this? does it really matter in the END anyway?

Doing things provides an end (pleasure, sense of accomplishment, challenge, money, aesthetic satisfaction, etc.) during life, which is more important to me than an end "in the end".

Lizzy1813

MBTI Type
ENFP
I feel like I'm wandering around, trying to follow some sort of dream/desire/goal-thingy, and my SJ parents don't understand how that is for me...I get really depressed with them constantly not understanding me, and when I bring up our personality differences, they say something like, "So, you're type is the lazy bum who our type has to take care of?" I usually wind up either saying something I'll regret later, or crying by myself...

SJs just don't understand...:cry:

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Can you give an example?

Sure. My mother (ESFJ) tends to identify herself with her job. When she lost her job, she fell into a period of intense questioning of herself--something she does not often do quite so deeply. She wondered what her purpose was in the first place and felt miserable at not ever succeeding in her original dreams (she wanted to be a PE teacher or a child psychologist). She had to figure out where her job ended and where she began and who she was without her job. Now she's better, but still battles with trying to keep her identity from being sucked into what she does.

I can see why it would appear to others on the outside that she's utterly happy just doing what she has to do. Much of the time she is, and I think that's where things are different. She has a much stronger sense of duty than I do. If it has to be done, she'll do it and try to be cheerful about it. But I know on the inside life isn't neccessarily any easier for her than it is for me or anyone else.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I feel that our own purpose is locked deep inside of us, and until we can find the combination to our souls, find out who we really are, then, and only then, do we find out individual niche, set out on our own paths towards the common goal, reaching heaven, the afterlife, salvation, however you think of it, if you think of that as your goal..

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I think about it on and off. Right now my thought is that you don't have to do anything, but I'll be damned if it isn't a lot of fun to do everything!

I really love that perspective... but it doesn't really give me a specific purpose, although maybe that is freeing. I don't know, my purpose is to kick ass at life!

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
I think about it on and off. Right now my thought is that you don't have to do anything, but I'll be damned if it isn't a lot of fun to do everything!

I really love that perspective... but it doesn't really give me a specific purpose, although maybe that is freeing. I don't know, my purpose is to kick ass at life!

knowing how 'complex' and futile human beings & this life is, i have finally also reached to the same conclusion : to kick ass at life.
but alas, when you're already 26 yrs old, and being pressured by family & peers, and with the family-business 'waiting' for you to take control , life suddenly becomes so monotone, bland, and just...superficial.
it's no longer YOU, but it's the money, profits, customers' satisfaction, that's the most important thing in life!

if i'm given the chance, hell, i'd just travel around the world, and make friends, and just live life to the fullest (i don't mind no degree, no 'stable' job, no high-paying job).
but REALISTICALLY-speaking, even to go travel around the world, you need this thing called: Money .
and if to get this money, we still have this "la la la, it's all doesn't matter in the end anyway, so let's have fun & live life to the fullest" attitude, then unfortunately, it'd be hard to get big amount of money with this kind of un-disciplined & relaxed attitude.
Money 'needs' people with high-discipline, focus, full commitment kind of people, not the swaying-around & easy-going kind of people, not especially for an apathy people like me!

and that's where life is hard.
and the problem is: no matter how hard you're trying to figure about yourself & the meaning of life, the clock keeps ticking, and customers keep calling, parents, peers & workplace keep pressuring.

sometimes i feel like i just want to escape from everything, and just go exile into somewhere peaceful, where i can have a PERIOD of time to ponder about myself & this life's existence peacefully , without any distraction.....but would that ever be possible?? where would i stay? how much money i should make in order to do that? or should i borrow money? and what about my parents & family, should i just leave them like that, without any notification? and what if i turn-out to be MORE miserable than what i've imagined, when i go exile?

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Maybe I'm a bit SP this way but 'life is for living'. I do what I do because I WANT to (or at least I convince myself that). As an INFP 'meaning' in life is important. I can imagine a point where I may think 'is there really any point in doing anything in this world?' when I'm not doing <i>anything</i> I enjoy, but thats a sad point to reach. I love myself enough to think, at least I'll live for MYSELF. I can take whatever I want from the world, it's my life (don't you forget.) Perhaps that makes me quite selfish.

[But what do I know about life, to be honest]

Though I can be relatively optimistic also. If you don't like the big picture at the moment, find joy in the little things. If you can't find joy in the little things, step back and look at the bigger picture. If you can't see anything in either one, look inside of yourself. Problems don't just go away but they often seem to shrink, or rearrange themselves, once you take a different perspective. You never know the opportunities ahead. You'll find a way, as long as you stay alive. Life is what you make of it, it in the end.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
knowing how 'complex' and futile human beings & this life is, i have finally also reached to the same conclusion : to kick ass at life.
but alas, when you're already 26 yrs old, and being pressured by family & peers, and with the family-business 'waiting' for you to take control , life suddenly becomes so monotone, bland, and just...superficial.
it's no longer YOU, but it's the money, profits, customers' satisfaction, that's the most important thing in life!

if i'm given the chance, hell, i'd just travel around the world, and make friends, and just live life to the fullest (i don't mind no degree, no 'stable' job, no high-paying job).
but REALISTICALLY-speaking, even to go travel around the world, you need this thing called: Money .
and if to get this money, we still have this "la la la, it's all doesn't matter in the end anyway, so let's have fun & live life to the fullest" attitude, then unfortunately, it'd be hard to get big amount of money with this kind of un-disciplined & relaxed attitude.
Money 'needs' people with high-discipline, focus, full commitment kind of people, not the swaying-around & easy-going kind of people, not especially for an apathy people like me!

and the problem is: no matter how hard you're trying to figure about yourself & the meaning of life, the clock keeps ticking, and customers keep calling, parents, peers & workplace keep pressuring.

sometimes i feel like i just want to escape from everything, and just go exile into somewhere peaceful, where i can have a PERIOD of time to ponder about myself & this life's existence peacefully , without any distraction.....but would that ever be possible?? where would i stay? how much money i should make in order to do that? or should i borrow money? and what about my parents & family, should i just leave them like that, without any notification? and what if i turn-out to be MORE miserable than what i've imagined, when i go exile?

And this is where finding someone different but with similar goals helps in life, i.e. a "mate". Finding someone who is similar in thought but different in approach is attractive, or so say Keirsey. It allows you to be yourself, around them, and continue on, but at the same time not be drawn into fretting about your weaknesses. The person should never "carry" you, but they should definitely "compliment and inspire" you in ways you need. I guess the question is, what do you think of people you meet who do the things you are not good at, as you described?

You can most likely see my opinion on the matter between the lines.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Sure. My mother (ESFJ) tends to identify herself with her job. When she lost her job, she fell into a period of intense questioning of herself--something she does not often do quite so deeply.

I kinda did this when I was in high school. But it started with my social surroundings being destroyed. Lots of stuff was happening and I lost touch with many of my friends. So I guess the trigger for me was different compared to your mom. Anyhow, I re-evaluated what I was and started thinking about this kind of stuff. But it hasn't gone away. I still use much time in thinking "the meaning", and I think that the kind of world that I would like doesn't exist. I've heard some stories though... in Italy I met this group of hippies that are squatting a valley. That is the closest image to a perfect community for me...

You wouldn't believe how much I relate :yes: It is so unfair that the people who know how to spend it don't have it. I wouldn't buy a freaking plasma screen, I'd go to India or Mexico and travel two months with that money. But dammit, they don't give me the chance. I don't give me the chance.

Oh, it is possible. Many things are possible if you have the right attitude. I got through Europe with no money at all and it was the best road trip ever.

Right now my thought is that you don't have to do anything, but I'll be damned if it isn't a lot of fun to do everything!

I love your perspective also :)

I love myself enough to think, at least I'll live for MYSELF. I can take whatever I want from the world, it's my life (don't you forget.) Perhaps that makes me quite selfish.

Yes, this is something that many people fail to see. At this time in history, this really small period of time in history of the whole goddamn human race, you are truly possible to be this much selfish. Both blessing and a curse, if you ask me. It is extraordinary that the only thing I am "expected" to do is whatever I want. There is no one coming on my door telling me to go on the field and plow, my family members don't die if I don't get a good harvest. I am in no way tied to anything. And the way most people use this freedom? They work their ass off. And buy that plasma.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
for NF folks (especially NFPs)
just been wondering lately,
after seeing this 'crazy and complex' humanity, life & this world,
don't u often wonder if we really have to do anything in life? (ie: you often ask yourself: "what's the point in doing all of this? does it really matter in the END anyway?" a lot)
because the 'illness' of NFP especially : once we're get focused in details, we soon just start mind-wandering endlessly again without stopping, and soon just easily lost interest in keeping-up with the details!

and plus, we all know that the 'details' of anything sometimes, or often must involved with the 'dirty' jobs that we probably dislike to do , ie: money-talks, bills, contracts, dealing with obnoxious people who probably want to take advantage of us (that's why we gotta be as cunning as them), 'fake' promotion or marketing, stuff like that..

and what would you do once you feel this kind of feelings?

i mean, don't u feel a bit 'shitty' and 'left-behind' when you see how most people (SJs especially) seems so 'easy' in determined & focused in doing their job, while we always lost interest easily & hard to kept focused in anything. yet we often kept doing it :/

In the great essence of the universe, we are just farts in the wind. But there's no reason it can't be memorable - kind of like the fart my dog let go after he ate a plate of French fries. :D

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
In the great essence of the universe, we are just farts in the wind. But there's no reason it can't be memorable - kind of like the fart my dog let go after he ate a plate of French fries. :D

But then again, there are many kinds of farts. I just farted. It was boring and I'm sure I wont remember it.

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
People we need to get un ejucation so we cun get jobs and stuf. That way i cun maeke muny and buy cars. Ferraris so i can feel good. Then i die and cease to remember anything i did my entire life.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
@Nolla : if you don't mind sharing it, i'd like to know how you can get to travel Europe without or almost no money in pocket :)
if i know & find the way to do that, then heck, i'll do it, just like what you did! :D