• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] Where are all of the topics about ENFJ's? (why I'm here)

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I mean, come on, we're pretty awesome! We're massively underrepresented here in the forums (5-10 truly active ENFJ posters) I know but that must mean that there are more out there that you guys are interacting with, I think. I'm just here because I'm an introverted extravert. Can any of you relate?

I want to be social but I've never really been social for most of my life. I definitely was as a kid but come adolescence and the awkwardness started. (Just a warning to parents out there, even a couple years of homeschooling can ruin an E.) Fe just goes around building up walls and Ni comes up with excuses for why people wouldn't want to hang out with me and why I wouldn't want to hang out with them.

In the end, I'm so preoccupied, with why I'm antisocial or why others have such biting criticisms of me that I find I have no real interests beyond maintaining order and working towards idealistic goals. E.g. I spent over ten hours last week reseaching headphones with no clear purpose, just reading a bunch of yays or nays, mostly nays.

Anyone ever been in a rut like this and if so how did you "get out" and start to enjoy life?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I know a couple ENFJs here and there.
Even more so than the other Extraverted iNtuitives, these types are always out doing things. It is the power of the Fe- always wanting to connect with others.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
It's worth pointing out that moving this topic is completely lame. Why even have a personal board if people only post on it once or twice a month. Thanks for dooming the topic Edahn! :ranting:

Usehername

On a mission
Hey, Chris, use the search function (go to advanced mode and search intelligently).

There's lots of ENFJ stuff.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I wonder if ENFJ's more than other extroverted types should be split into "introverted" ENFJ's and "Extroverted" ENFJ's. I'm clearly the introverted type. I value personal relationships very highly but I can't form them worth a shit. I'm absolutely delightful when I make small talk with people (unlike other types, most notably the INT's) but when it comes to forming lasting bonds, I... just... can't do it.

The thought of all the bad things that could happen if I do try to hang out with people outside of my established group is frightening and makes me very anxious. I look at people sometimes and can't help but not smile. I just see another failed attempt at me connecting with the outside world.

I would rather live, immediately, in seclusion. It's certainly not in my longterm goals and I admire those that can just live in the moment but being at work and then coming home and just sitting on the internet or watching tv feels safe and comfortable for me. I wonder, with all the other ENFJ's on here, if there's anyone else that feels the same. If any of them have been able to combat these negative, cynical thoughts about people in general. Maybe I'm cynical because people don't fit in my narrow ideal of how we should all be or maybe I'm... resentful. I dunno.

Just thought I'd type for a while. It's cathartic for me. :)

dee

MBTI Type
Enfj
Enneagram
2+1
I wonder if ENFJ's more than other extroverted types should be split into "introverted" ENFJ's and "Extroverted" ENFJ's. I'm clearly the introverted type. I value personal relationships very highly but I can't form them worth a shit. I'm absolutely delightful when I make small talk with people (unlike other types, most notably the INT's) but when it comes to forming lasting bonds, I... just... can't do it.

Hi, I see what you mean, I think for me I can be totally extroverted at times, and other times totally introverted in a group setting. It really depends on my mood. I mean if I am happy, or excited about some new idea for making the world a better place...:), then I am totally out there. On the other hand, when I am feeling kinda low, kinda not understanding myself, or just sad because of current events, or feeling like "who knows if my dreams will ever happen", then I'm much more introverted, cause I don't like projecting these feelings onto others. Or maybe because I feel that I am no good to them anyways in this state, and that keeps me much more to myself.
Although I do tell a selective few my troubles...
I don't know, I have a hard time keeping long lasting relationships too, but if the other person keeps at it... then a freindship is born.
I can talk small talk with like any person I see, it's kinda scary on the one hand considering the main subconcious motivater that makes me be able to do this is...
I want to connect...nect...nect *echo*
I don't know, I just want to feel connected with people at all times, at any given time.
is something wrong with me because of this?
I think thats one of the reasons I'm on this forum. In my day to day I see people, but it's not enough for me, cause my ideal job would be out there, doing something meaningful, something out of the office (at least most the day), interacting with people, solving major issues, and it being real-time. Something that gets your adrenaline going, something exciting, even dangerous(?) to some extent.
What I do now, is sit in a cubicle all day, in front of a computer which is extremely frustrating for me.
So anyway sorry about all the ranting...the point is that this may be why I'm on the forum. It helps me feel like I am connecting with people.
Maybe you are an enfj that is just a little under the weather right now, or maybe you have never been given the chance to be in your ideal enviroment, and therefore never felt compelled to speak your mind. Maybe it's a low confidence issue, who knows.
Which could be, if you had parents that put you down a lot, I know I have been working on my self-esteem forever- I mean it's gotten much better, but the effects of childhood are very hard to just get rid of, (I mean if they were negative).

So, I have some humble advice I would like to give you; just get out of the house for an evening with some, even one close friend, and go a little crazy...:)
It might help you get out of your zone, and put things in prospective.

Good luck, dee

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
Hi, I see what you mean, I think for me I can be totally extroverted at times, and other times totally introverted in a group setting. It really depends on my mood. I mean if I am happy, or excited about some new idea for making the world a better place...:), then I am totally out there. On the other hand, when I am feeling kinda low, kinda not understanding myself, or just sad because of current events, or feeling like "who knows if my dreams will ever happen", then I'm much more introverted, cause I don't like projecting these feelings onto others. Or maybe because I feel that I am no good to them anyways in this state, and that keeps me much more to myself.
I don't know, I have a hard time keeping long lasting relationships too, but if the other person keeps at it... then a freindship is born.
I can talk small talk with like any person I see, it's kinda scary on the one hand considering the main subconcious motivater that makes me be able to do this is...
I don't know, I just want to feel connected with people at all times, at any given time.
I think thats one of the reasons I'm on this forum. In my day to day I see people, but it's not enough for me, cause my ideal job would be out there, doing something meaningful, something out of the office (at least most the day), interacting with people, solving major issues, and it being real-time. Something that gets your adrenaline going, something exciting, even dangerous(?) to some extent.
What I do now, is sit in a cubicle all day, in front of a computer which is extremely frustrating for me.
So anyway sorry about all the ranting...the point is that this may be why I'm on the forum. It helps me feel like I am connecting with people.
Maybe you are an enfj that is just a little under the weather right now, or maybe you have never been given the chance to be in your ideal enviroment, and therefore never felt compelled to speak your mind. Maybe it's a low confidence issue, who knows.
Which could be, if you had parents that put you down a lot, I know I have been working on my self-esteem forever- I mean it's gotten much better, but the effects of childhood are very hard to just get rid of, (I mean if they were negative).

So, I have some humble advice I would like to give you; just get out of the house for an evening with some, even one close friend, and go a little crazy...:)

Good luck, dee

I know what are you saying. You want to be more active and stuff, but that means leaving the forum time to time though right? So I'm thinking like best way is to talk outside the forum (really close friend or loved one) and be more extroverted, doesn't that help in solving the problem?

dee

MBTI Type
Enfj
Enneagram
2+1
I know what are you saying. You want to be more active and stuff, but that means leaving the forum time to time though right? So I'm thinking like best way is to talk outside the forum (really close friend or loved one) and be more extroverted, doesn't that progress in solving the problem?

are you writing to me? or to chris? *confused*
Trust me, I am out, I just want to be out MORE, or when I am physically out of the house to use that time effecitvely to be out out, like really out there.

I can't because of my children. They need to see there mommy a little too, right?
So that's when the forum can be nice, (after they go to bed) but I'm not limited to the forum for *connecting*. It can just be the most practical at times.

Cheers, dee

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
are you writing to me? or to chris? *confused*
Trust me, I am out, I just want to be out MORE, or when I am physically out of the house to use that time effecitvely to be out out, like really out there.

I can't because of my children. They need to see there mommy a little too, right?
So that's when the forum can be nice, (after they go to bed) but I'm not limited to the forum for *connecting*. It can just be the most practical at times.

Cheers, dee

Right, I was just making a general comment to Chris aswell. Its something Ive been thinking about, myself. Thats understandable with your family.

dee

MBTI Type
Enfj
Enneagram
2+1
Right, I was just making a general comment to Chris aswell. Its something Ive been thinking about, myself. Thats understandable with your family.

Thanks for the clarification, :D

and the understanding :cool:

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
Thanks for the clarification, :D

and the understanding :cool:

Right I might try to be more extroverted, but I might have to leave the forums, I should leave things to be casual here its easier for people.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
...If any of them have been able to combat these negative, cynical thoughts about people in general. Maybe I'm cynical because people don't fit in my narrow ideal of how we should all be or maybe I'm... resentful. I dunno.

Just thought I'd type for a while. It's cathartic for me. :)

The cynicism. I really don't know what to do about it, I've mostly tried to spin it into something positive like I believe people (myself included) can do better but be realistic about how much better people can do. I was in Urban Outfitters yesterday and was reading this book Grandma's Dead: Breaking Bad News with Baby Animals and one of the postcards said "Dreams don't come true." I think that's where the cynicism comes in because on one hand you realize that is factual but on the other hand you resist believing it because you've got to have the strong delusion that they do come true in order to make them so. But in general I think that books says a lot of about acknowledging the ugly side of life, the messes that no one wants to clean up but somebody has to. And if the cleaning up is always something that falls in your lap or a responsibility you feel compelled to do then yes, resentment and cynicism are not far behind.

I'm trying to train myself on meeting people where they're at (myself included) and that requires a honest and factual assessment of who a person is with an eye towards who they can be. Assessing your potential and the potential of other requires ascertaining strong and weak points and it's really hard to look at your own or someone else's unsavory parts and not get turned off. And maybe you have a right to be turned off and you feel guilty that you are. Some people purely look at the sunny side of things and some people don't even believe the sun exists. I guess I just try to be a realistic optimist, believe things can change and be better but realize that it's a process that won't occur overnight. That usually helps to keep the cynicism at bay. :)

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj

Good luck, dee

OMG, I could have written all of that word for word, wow. I mean all of it, this is why I am on this forum too, kind of sad really. It all started when I was a kid and my parents wouldn't let me out so I spent a lot of time being depressed and was put down for years and years and not having a stable home killed me, so I found forums and talked to people there. I had a lot of friends but not being able to hang out with them and moving so much over time really made me lose myself and became deeply depressed. Well after a few years and taking a hold of my life and sanity I feel A LOT better and so is my confidence, but I do feel like I was robbed of some years of my life. My job is boring as well, sitting in my cube or a good part of the day so I spend a lot of time on the net browsing it too. Now I feel like I need to connect with more people and be more sociable as well but all those years I spent acting like an introvert have stayed on me as well, but even when I am in a group of people I sometimes feel alone too, weird really.

dee

MBTI Type
Enfj
Enneagram
2+1
OMG, I could have written all of that word for word, wow. I mean all of it, this is why I am on this forum too, kind of sad really. It all started when I was a kid and my parents wouldn't let me out so I spent a lot of time being depressed and was put down for years and years and not having a stable home killed me, so I found forums and talked to people there. I had a lot of friends but not being able to hang out with them and moving so much over time really made me lose myself and became deeply depressed. Well after a few years and taking a hold of my life and sanity I feel A LOT better and so is my confidence, but I do feel like I was robbed of some years of my life. My job is boring as well, sitting in my cube or a good part of the day so I spend a lot of time on the net browsing it too. Now I feel like I need to connect with more people and be more sociable as well but all those years I spent acting like an introvert have stayed on me as well, but even when I am in a group of people I sometimes feel alone too, weird really.

Nice to know someone can relate, enfj males have always intrigued me although I am married to an infp.
Something about how they can really understand me- enfj female, is really wondrous... *full of wonder smilie*

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Nice to know someone can relate, enfj males have always intrigued me although I am married to an infp.
Something about how they can really understand me- enfj female, is really wondrous... *full of wonder smilie*

2 ENFJs? Sounds interesting.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I like to think that the secret to living now is learning to take life one day at a time. You just gotta learn to not try to control everything and just follow your gut. Honestly, I think the outlook is quite good for us. We do have Se as our tertiary function, which according to "Do what you are!" is a function we should be developing between the ages of 25 and 40. Sure we might miss some years but Se is really excellent at being more spontaneous. We'll see.

I tell ya, some of the problems we've encountered might have something to do with the fact that ENFJ's just aren't that common and people don't know how to deal with us. I mean come on 2.4 %-ish is pretty low. My whole family's very SJ BTW. Dad - ISTJ, Mom - ESFJ, and Sister - ESTJ so you can see how I'd run into problems being the odd man out. They've just given up trying to understand me. Things have been decent as of late though. I decided I would come to their level and we at least don't have a massive barrier between us anymore.