• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Philosophy and type

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
INTx

Almost every INTx I know is interested in philosophy, if not obsessed with it.

:yes: this reminds me of a person I disliked.hm...ok it's gone now.
Philosophy is pretty interesting so far, I started my first classes. but I have a feeling I still don't understand it too much.

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's obvious to me that it helps to at least be introverted to be philosophical. Extroverts are better at doing stuff than thinking about it.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Okay...I see that the argument has swerved a little from philosophy to kindergarten games...

Are you kidding me? This is the stuff of future philosophy textbooks.

For we are INTx.

(;))

redacted

I think it's an N thing. I know Ns of all type that are into philosophy. In fact, I'd say the INTJs I know are the least into philosophy of all the N types I know. I doubt this is a general trend, though.

strawberryfields

MBTI Type
ENFP
I study philosophy at uni, and I'd say that the majority of people studying it are introverts. My philosophy modules are the one's in which I am most conscious of people who stand out for their introversion, so I think it also contains a lot of polar introverts; people who are totally content by themselves and seem fairly introspective and caught up in their own thoughts a lot of the time. My class is also predominantly N's, which is to be expected I suppose. In terms of T/F, I'd say mostly T, but a few of us are F's. It's actually difficult in an academic context to determine T/F; I'm sure some people in my class would presume I was a T, I know in the past people have thought that when they've only seen me in discussions. As for J/P.. hmmm, probably mostly P's, although interestingly the J's we have are J squared.

I think INTP's are the type who would view philosophy most favourably; they're reflective, ideas orientated, and a P so prepared to engage with a variety of ideas. It's funny, although INTJ's definitely demonstrate some interest in philosophy, I see very few of them who love it; my younger (INTJ) brother told me he'd find my course infuriating, since so many of the ideas are just *wrong* (wry smile). I actually think a lot of the philosophy I study is totally illogical and nonsensical, and various philosophers contradict eachother etc. so of course you will be exposed to ideas in the discipline which you disagree with. I derive enjoyment from discussing ideas I think are rubbish though, whereas J types might be inclined to see it as a waste of time, or, in actual fact, irritating.

Lizzy1813

MBTI Type
ENFP
Are you kidding me? This is the stuff of future philosophy textbooks.

For we are INTx.

(;))

Oh-h! :doh: My bad! I thought that the word important was implied in the philosophy question... ;)

Then again, who am I, an NF, to say this isn't the greatest strand of thought since...EVER!

I just know how to feel a lot...

And I feel a little confused... :huh:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Here I am, little lambs. Let all the bells in whordeom ring. All the crooked bitches that she was. Mongers of pain. Who saw the moon. Become a fang. Your funeral, my trial.

[youtube=Ml7b8_tq4do]Crooked man[/youtube]

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Philosophy? Who loves Sophie? Wha? I have no idea. No I don't like philosophy.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think that any person of any type with high intelligence can enjoy philosophy.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
philosophy major baby! and yes, it's an N thing. i have friends who are smart S's and though i can see them doing well in it, they probably won't like it.

ilovetrannies

MBTI Type
ISFP
Sensors like physical work and walking around with a look of 'duh' on our faces, right?

I prefer a philosophy of ethics, of course my being a sensor, of course I have no idea or understanding what I'm talking about, right?

Really? REALLY?!

ilovetrannies

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'm am have come to the conclusion that SP's primary philosophy is postmodernism. Because we are intuitive enough to appreciate and look into all sides of any discussion or opinions. I would never tell anyone I thought their opinion was stupid because I consider that rude. I don't function that way.

Alright. Tell how me stupid my rationality is. Bring it. Ok, I'll be waiting.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I'm am have come to the conclusion that SP's primary philosophy is postmodernism. Because we are intuitive enough to appreciate and look into all sides of any discussion or opinions. I would never tell anyone I thought their opinion was stupid because I consider that rude. I don't function that way.

Alright. Tell how me stupid my rationality is. Bring it. Ok, I'll be waiting.

lol.. I think you beat yourself up more than anyone else here would want to.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I also observed that INFPs and INFJs tend to be more interested in the spiritual/theological/ethics sides of philosophy. Which makes sense.

There's another side? :confused: I've taken courses such as Philosophy & the Ethical Life, Philosophy of Being, Philosophy of Technology, etc. and I'm convinced that all of our philosophy can't help but to ultimately be about our own existence -- what it is, what it means, and what to do with it -- due to it necessarily being the product of us puny mortals incapable of ever truly escaping our own finite perspectives (though we might fondly imagine otherwise).

Why should great philosophy equal objective analysis? Metareflection is your friend.

Well put!

I think most N types would enjoy philosophy...INTP's are just the only ones stupid enough to pursue it as a career.

I see... that makes sense. [strokes imaginary goatee] Apropos of nothing, I've decided to go into accounting.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
In high school I thought I wanted to be a lawyer at one point. My neighbor who was one was over one day and told me he had an undergraduate degree in philosophy. I quickly changed my mind about being a lawyer if I had to talk philosophy I wasn't going that route.

I had gotten the vibe that philosophy was beyond my ability. I couldn't pronounce philosopher's names either. The whole subject made me feel inadequate. At the time I felt like philosophers had some truth that I'd never be able to understand.

Of course now I know philosophy is a subject of conjecture rather than empiricism, but when young, I was ignorant.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
edit: grammar nazis beware

I like philosophy sometimes. I recently signed a card

Love, Me (a name is just a name, but only I am Me)

I mean, isnt that philisophical?

S

Sniffles

Well your name does signify an important essence of who you.......ahhh fuck it.

dani_elle

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hmm, I don't take too well to textbook philosophy. Or maybe its just media ethics.

I wrote an essay for my ethics class with the premise that the Philosophers are Stoned.

I got 22/25.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't know about other INFJs, but philosophy is dear to me. I do not harp on terminology and structure of it, because I think that to perceive the purpose of life it would be impossible to put entirely into words... it goes beyond that, indescribable. So I admire and am influenced by what philosophers have said, for I have great respect for those who try to understand the universe and meaning, but I will always put the greatest emphasis on what I intuit as what's "the way."

Herman Hesse's Siddhartha sums up my perspective perfectly. Can't be taught the way, in the end I find it on a river and cannot possibly relay the wonder of it all to any other.