• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Philosophy and type

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
INFx, INTx. We have different approaches, however.

The Ideal INTP approach to philosophy (I say so without qualification since it is mine ;)) is to analyze life, decide on a personal philosophy, and live by it. Post-decision input becomes irrelevant, for the most part.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
INTP as the analyst machine, the Ni's, INTJ and INFJ, INFPs are constantly scrutinizing their own philosophy it seems, though in a more personal manner than the INTP counterpart. ENFPs could be fantastic philosophers because of the attention they pay to others' behavior (Ne Fi) forces them through Te (with Si) to scrutinize themselves against the patterns they percieve in others, so a strong natural philosophy will develop, and they will constantly check and re-check to make sure the philosophy they embody is "right." Which it never will be. Their downfall would be that most of them are not naturally drawn to study large amounts of philosophy and would be content just changing themselves instead. I enjoy philosophy personally, and I believe ENFPs have the tools for this kind of analysis. Though my bias is enormous. Intuition may be very important to connect ideas in a manner conducive to abstract analysis, so it would seem to me that not a single 'S' type has a leg up on any of the 'N' types. INTJs and INTPs really take the cake though if you think about it, I would guess 80% minimum of our best philosophers fall into one camp or the other

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
edit: But some types such as ISTJ could really get a lot of philosophy done. If this was a question of who could create the most sound philosophy, or write the best philosophy, my answer would have been very different and I would have had very little emphasis on the ENFP type. But the question was open-ended.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
My "philosophy" (LOL) is that ENFPs lack the objectivity necessary to analyze life for what it really is.

dorareever

MBTI Type
INFP
all the N types basically. but with different approaches and goals.

NT's would probably be more systematic, and good at theoretical philosophy, while NF's would be less systematic, more into ethics and maybe aestethics.

dorareever

MBTI Type
INFP
My "philosophy" (LOL) is that ENFPs lack the objectivity necessary to analyze life for what it really is.

understanding what life "really" is, is pretty hard to define anyway. or at least to reduce to objectivity.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
For everyone but INTPs, it is. I pity you all. (LOL, but I'm not kidding in the least.)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would say mainly introverted intuitives. Extraverted intuitives tend to be less reflective and obsessed with the theoretical.

In my experience, INTPs tend to be the most obsessed with philosophy (all aspects). Also, personally, every INTJ I know has at least some background in it, but either lost interest or didn't care much for it because its highly theoretical nature had limited applicability.

I also observed that INFPs and INFJs tend to be more interested in the spiritual/theological/ethics sides of philosophy. Which makes sense.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Only NTs like philosophy. Except ENTJs. They're too busy aggrandizing wall street to philosophize properly.

All other types hate it. A lot.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Meta=Objectivity=Me.

Where do you fail? I know not, but that you do.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think someone needs to always have the last word...

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:rofl1: I'll let someone else play with you now