• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] Is it normal for ENFJs to be addicted to being loved?

Carla Rose

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm a self-hating girl who enjoys breaking people's hearts because I have no self-esteem. Seducing people and making them fall in love with me is what gives me life. I lead people on as much as I can in the hopes that they fall so much in love with me that they can never fall out. I was very lonely and isolated as a child and teenager, so now I want to own peoples' hearts and souls, forever. Sowing obsession in as many as possible is what I live for. I'm so desperate for love that I'm willing to destroy people to acquire it. I rarely feel remorse, just peace. If someone can be destroyed because of me, that means I'm worth something... that I'm worth loving. I'm thankful to all the people who love me. They make me so happy I could cry. My childhood is over. My teenage years are over. I can be loved now.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sounds kind of like unhealthy enneagram 2w3

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm a self-hating girl who enjoys breaking people's hearts because I have no self-esteem. Seducing people and making them fall in love with me is what gives me life. I lead people on as much as I can in the hopes that they fall so much in love with me that they can never fall out. I was very lonely and isolated as a child and teenager, so now I want to own peoples' hearts and souls, forever. Sowing obsession in as many as possible is what I live for. I'm so desperate for love that I'm willing to destroy people to acquire it. I rarely feel remorse, just peace. If someone can be destroyed because of me, that means I'm worth something... that I'm worth loving. I'm thankful to all the people who love me. They make me so happy I could cry. My childhood is over. My teenage years are over. I can be loved now.

This sounds like a whole lot of mental illness that should be addressed.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can be loved but what you're experiencing right now isn't love. You aren't destroying people in the name of love. That's an oxymoron. When you do what you're doing now, you guarantee that no one will ever love you.

You aren't going to find true fulfillment in any relationship until you fill the void yourself that you're trying to fill by using other people. The first person you should truly fall in love with is yourself. It doesn't seem like you've managed to do that. It's very hard and I appreciate that. I'm guessing you don't know how.

When you say you were lonely as a child and teenager, do you mean you experienced emotional neglect?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
This is not a hallmark of enfjs as a personality type. My guess is that you had insufficient attachment when you were younger, or your trust was broken, leaving you feeling powerless. By trying to make people love you and then abandoning them, you are perhaps trying to reclaim a sense of power and significance. This is not going to be satisfying or healthy for you because you are still reacting instead of deciding how you want to live your life from here on in.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I will say that I personally like to be admired for certain things but playing with people's emotions to get that would repulse me. Many ENFJs probably do have the capacity to emotionally damage people in that way due to the typical charisma and gift of gab though.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes this has been symptomatic of every ENFJ I've ever known (about 5).

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes this has been symptomatic of every ENFJ I've ever known (about 5).

Well to be fair, nearly every guy I have gotten to close to emotionally or physically, comment on how calculated I am but they usually know what they are getting into with me. I try to be straight-forward if I really want something. No time for shitty mind games...

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFJs tend to have a lack of self-love, a deficit that will need to be addressed at some point. It is pretty simple.

Unless they grew up in an extremely emotional supporting environment (and I have never met one that did), they grow up very scarred from being a Fe dom in a troubled situation. They are tied into the emotional matrix of everyone around them and often not aware that the waves of difficult emotions they experience are not even theirs.

This can play out in many ways, depending upon enneagram. And ENFJs have the tools to really do some crazy manipulations, if they are badly damaged enough. And it will not even be that conscious.

Every ENFJ likely needs to hit therapy to help them find themselves in the mess of pain they have taken on from everyone else. Many construct tremendous defenses to prevent themselves from feeling their own feelings or letting the feelings of others impact them.

But self-love is the way of our this mess. Finding their own feelings and accepting their own emotions.

As to the OP's pattern, I can relate, a bit.

As a teenager and young adult, I found it very easy to get a girl to fall in love with me. And it was fun to play the "love them and leave them" game for a little bit. One reason for the "leave them" side of things was not really pursuing girls I actually liked, but rather taking what was available to easy. In many ways, I didn't feel I was worth the girls I really wanted to date.

For me, this all changed with a college girl friend, who saw me and pursued me rather quickly. A INFP, she felt strongly pulled to me. And it scared me, because she saw right through all my layers of defenses, all my bravado and arrogance, and saw the person I was underneath, the one I hid from the world and from myself, and accepted me. She saw those places and things I avoided. I had no defenses to her.

I broke up with her because it was way too uncomfortable. And changed how I dated after that.

Maybe there is an ENFJ out there that grew up in a healthy environment, but I have yet to find one.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Maybe there is an ENFJ out there that grew up in a healthy environment, but I have yet to find one.

The healthiest ENFJ I know is a Korean girl who was adopted by a wealthy white family here in the states, but for all the class and psychological balance she seems to exhibit she still has a penchant for seducing her adopted father's business partners, so obviously there's some understandable daddy issues still at work. The rest all had very difficult childhoods and parents who could barely qualify as parents.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The healthiest ENFJ I know is a Korean girl who was adopted by a wealthy white family here in the states, but for all the class and psychological balance she seems to exhibit she still has a penchant for seducing her adopted father's business partners, so obviously there's some understandable daddy issues still at work. The rest all had very difficult childhoods and parents who could barely qualify as parents.

Yep......Either we ENFJs were fated by the universe to be born to horrible situations or we develop our ENFJ thinking patterns as a result of the environment. At this point, I am going for door #1.....

Rebeka

MBTI Type
ENFP

I'm probably going out from the matter and not being right... but a very long lasting friend of mine is an ENFJ and what i've always seen in him is that he is eager to feel remorse and guilt if he rejected others, for he is very sensitive and commited to do the right thing and being loyal to others, even when these aren't good for him. He does not take out from his guilt even when he's just being free to decide who wants to mingle with!! (which is everyone's right, of course, to decide with who we are gonna spent our time). So he feels melancholy very often because of that. Maybe that is the issue behind that troublesome point you are telling.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I feel like this too but it's more of some weird anxiety thing.

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
Lol. This sounds like my ex. Thanks for your honesty. This is exactly what I figured out about him and made me PUT 'EM IN DA DIRT.

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
You have flash? No, he doesn't have flash. But...we have dash!! Nice dude. That was pretty good, I guess. I mean, it kind of sucks that I flashed into that stun like a fully boosted ape. But you know what? I did it for my brother, Harambe.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
This is probably the enfj i know. He wants me to be inlove with him. Like he actually let me fall for him, yet doesn't even want to give back.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Doesn't sound very healthy but I shouldn't talk because I thrive off of external validation. But I get hurt when it's a poor reaction.