• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Adolescence.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I don't really know to be honest, I guess I've just never had the desire to be in a relationship with somebody like that. If someone comes along and they're the girl of my dreams and I fall in love then sure haha, but I'm not actively searching for a partner. It's probably partly because I feel like I have too many mental issues (although I don't know what those issues are) to be able to maintain a relationship like that. I'd have to pretend to be normal for too long and it would drain me haha.

I'm just gonna assume you're a lot younger than I am. Because I think I can give you a pointer on this : all my adult life I've been convinced there was something wrong with me, even though everybody I know disagreed. Most people I talked to about this, said I just have the tendency to think too much or think the worse (trademark enneagram 6, just like you apparently). I even had myself professionally tested for schizophrenia at some point (came out negative). Talked to 4 different psychologists and psychiatrists. Plenty of years later the only thing that's wrong with me is that I have a tendency to think there's something wrong with me. This has also not stopped me from building up a perfectly normal life.
I'm aware we may not be exactly alike, but just wanted to share this from my own experience. My life goal now is to learn to let go of things more easily and not overthink things. Ora et labora. By which I mean I need to be aware of a balance between thinking and actively living in the physical world and doing stuff like exercising, going out, etc. And the more I do that, and the more life experience I have, the more I actually feel perfectly normal.
It amazes me how many people deal with this, not just INFJs.

Besides, every little pot has a fitting lid.

Jellyfish1234

I'm just gonna assume you're a lot younger than I am. Because I think I can give you a pointer on this : all my adult life I've been convinced there was something wrong with me, even though everybody I know disagreed. Most people I talked to about this, said I just have the tendency to think too much or think the worse (trademark enneagram 6, just like you apparently). I even had myself professionally tested for schizophrenia at some point (came out negative). Talked to 4 different psychologists and psychiatrists. Plenty of years later the only thing that's wrong with me is that I have a tendency to think there's something wrong with me. This has also not stopped me from building up a perfectly normal life.
I'm aware we may not be exactly alike, but just wanted to share this from my own experience. My life goal now is to learn to let go of things more easily and not overthink things. Ora et labora. By which I mean I need to be aware of a balance between thinking and actively living in the physical world and doing stuff like exercising, going out, etc. And the more I do that, and the more life experience I have, the more I actually feel perfectly normal.
It amazes me how many people deal with this, not just INFJs.

Wow, this was really incredible to read, thank you so much for that. You're right about me being younger than you - I'm only 18, so I still have a lot to learn haha. But I resonate a lot with what you just said, being convinced something is wrong with me yet other people disagreeing. I haven't seen any psychologists or psychiatrists though. And my Mother always tells me I think way too much and need to learn to get out of my head and not worry about everything and look into everything so much. I guess I just feel like my brain is wired up differently, and I can't quite put my finger on why or in what way. Sometimes I'll act weirdly or think weird things, and sometimes I feel like I can't function like a normal human being. As an example, something good might happen to me. Usually, someone might smile and be happy about that good thing. But my brain seems to think that feeling happy and smiling is way too simple and predictable, so I have to be sad instead, and see the negative side of it, or look into it for some deep meaning. And sometimes I'll just feel like I need to sit on the floor and rock and cry or something, and I'll feel the need to behave strangely, but I know I can control it because when I'm in public I act completely normal. It's like I'm constantly aware that there's something different about me, like my brain is working differently to everyone else. And it's more than that, too - it's like the whole way I think about things is weird. Like yesterday, I ate a bit of fruit but before I ate it I noticed it had a weird mark on it, and then during the day I had a bit of an anxiety attack, and I was convinced that I'd been poisoned and needed to make myself throw up, so I went to the toilet and looked down into the toilet bowl and saw some toilet paper down there, and then in that moment, looking at that white toilet paper, it just became really clear to me that the toilet paper was a symbol that I was okay and my mind was playing tricks on me and that I was going to be fine, and if I'm remembering it correctly, I saw an image in my head that looked like my brain with a bit of yellow on it to show I was going to be fine (I'm not sure how yellow meant I was going to be fine haha). Then suddenly I calmed down. It's just little ways that my brain seems to work like that on a day to day basis, having thoughts and seeing things weirdly and feeling the need to act strange sometimes and thinking bizarre thoughts that convince me that I have something wrong with me. I also keep having weird daydreams play out in my head where I DO have something wrong with me. I remember it started when I was a kid on holiday - for some reason I kept imagining myself with some condition where my mouth was always open and saliva was always hanging off and I had severe learning disabilities and was deaf and dumb, and I imagined my parents had left me in the hotel in my wheelchair by accident and they went out for hours, came back and I'd be there all scared and they'd feel really upset about me being scared. I kept thinking about it, and sometimes, as a way to kind of process it I guess, in private I'd actually open my mouth and let saliva dribble down and pretend I was that person. And the other day I kept imaging myself at a restaurant with my Mother sitting with me at the table through my ipad, speaking with me like she was there, because I needed her to be, and I tried to open my juice box or something and I couldn't, so I started crying and my Mother tried to calm me down but she couldn't, and she got really upset and cried that she couldn't be there to hug me and help me like she normally is when I freak out like that. And then I snap out of this imaginary scenario feeling depressed. As a final example, the other week I was out shopping and was told to get the milk, and I did but imagined myself doing it as a mentally disabled child getting really scared about getting it and crying in the store because I thought I was lost. There are tons more examples that I could share, too.

And I also worry a lot and think the worse, like you said. For a while I questioned whether I had some form of autism or something, and then when I found MBTI for the first time and was told that my type, INFJ, was rare and so often feels like an alien, I thought all INFJs must share these qualities, but as I'm learning more about INFJs I'm realising more and more that the reason for feeling like an alien is different, or at least it feels that way.

But yeah, thank you very much for those wise words. I definitely will try to go out and live in the real world more because thinking about it, doing things like that has made me feel better and more normal in the past - it's just difficult for me to get the motivation to go out and live, even though a part of me really wants to haha. But seeing you say that has convinced me I need to do things like that more, so thank you, really.

Jellyfish1234

Oh, and also, sometimes when I'm feeling a certain way, in order to kind of accept that I'm feeling that way, I have to wait until something feels "right" and then I imagine myself from a third person perspective, zooming away from me like in some kind of TV show or something. Again, it's just little things like that haha.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=28184]Jellyfish1234[/MENTION] sure no problem, I'm really glad I can be of assistance.

It's really all about finding balance and centering yourself. Easier said than done I know. Especially when you go through anxious thoughts. Focus on your breathing and trust yourself when that happens. Going through what you wrote I think you probably focus too much on symbolism in things that may not even be relevant (like marks, toilet paper, whatnot). You can control what you think. I think thoughts are like a stream, for everybody, but you don't necessarily have to stick with each one that passes by. Having bizarre thoughts is not uncommon too. It might even be essential for our artistic creativity. You just don't have to identify with or act upon each thought.

Jellyfish1234

[MENTION=28184]Jellyfish1234[/MENTION] sure no problem, I'm really glad I can be of assistance.

It's really all about finding balance and centering yourself. Easier said than done I know. Especially when you go through anxious thoughts. Focus on your breathing and trust yourself when that happens. Going through what you wrote I think you probably focus too much on symbolism in things that may not even be relevant (like marks, toilet paper, whatnot). You can control what you think. I think thoughts are like a stream, for everybody, but you don't necessarily have to stick with each one that passes by. Having bizarre thoughts is not uncommon too. It might even be essential for our artistic creativity. You just don't have to identify with or act upon each thought.

Yes, that probably is my problem haha. Thank you, those words mean a lot. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

KIttyGirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp
If I had to say it all in one sentence, I would say I felt alone, misunderstood, and not like other kids. Looking back now, I think things were bad, but I think I saw them as worse than what they were. I didn't appreciate the friends that I had, and my own neglect of my friends (not calling them up on phone, etc, because I'd rather be reading a book) made it difficult for those friendships to deepen to the levels I wanted.

I may have excluded potential friends. I was always, always nice to kids who were the odd man out, but that doesn't mean I felt that they were on "my level."

For example, I longed, LONGED, to be loved by a boy. And indeed there was a an INFP guy who fell hard for me, and even wrote a poem about me and published it in the school newspaper. But he used to HISS at people who teased him. That made me put him into the "pity" category, rather than the "interest" category. I even went out with him, but it was incredibly awkward. I feel bad about the whole thing because that poem was the single most romantic gift I EVER got from a guy in my entire life (and I'm 55 years old now). I wonder now if I passed up the opportunity for true love because I wrote him off as odd and immature.

High school was better than Junior High. In High School there were just more kids, so I could find groups that were more accepting of my ideosyncracies. I hung out with the choir (artsy fartsy types relish in being different) and with the gifted kids (who met together for lunch). But I'd feel alone because even though no one said, "Go away, you don't belong you freak" like they did in junior high, at the same time, no one said, "Hey there! Come over here and sit by me!"

The best thing that I did in High School was when I, along with my friend, opened up a local chapter of the Tolkien Fellowships. It did a lot for my self esteem that some how, some way, it was a success, that I ended up getting quoted in the county newspaper, invited to the invitation only premiere of Bakshi's Lord of the Rings and stuff. But what REALLY mattered most was that it introduced me to a select number of people who shared my interest in Tolkien and who were amazingly like me, personality-wise. I made lifelong friends from that group.

And finally, in high school I began my spiritual quest, a quest which has continued most of my life. A quest for meaning, for beauty, for truth, for all that is good. In me, the archetypes of the mystic, the seeker, and the sage interplay. At age 16 I realized that although I was happy in my religious upbringing, I had been highly sheltered, and I asked my father to take me around to the other denominations. It was also the first time that I visited worship services of religions outside my faith. “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

But whatever High School was like objectively, I experienced it as very, VERY painful. Make no mistake; there was a lot of depression. I retreated a lot into books. One of my most interesting memories is on the very last day of my senior year, signing someone's year book, wondering to myself if I would whitewash these memories, or if I would remember just how bad it really was.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I remember when I was younger, I had few friends being awkward and social rules not coming completely naturally to me and being that my mind is wired differently. I was always in my own world making up stories about animals, creatures, and dinosaurs, and was kind of an obnoxious know-it-all and got overwhelmed in crowds. My love of movies and cartoons began at an early age. I was frustrated that I wasn't a good artist so I began taking lessons at age 3 or 4. (Some professionals may find it hard to believe seeing my style. I think I'm decent though. Always in a world of anxiety when dealing with humans and saying the wrong thing. I kind of felt like an alien in the world unless I was in my element. I remember being excluded a lot in elementary school but I did love the friends I did have. I love to learn but my mind often processes emotions and real-time scenarios slowly.

I had taken in interest in art and prehistoric animals from an early age and little me liked reading the dictionary because I was a weird little kid. I did love to read and draw and had a love for animals/dogs. Communicating with animals I suppose got me more prepared with humans in a sense but not really... xD Dogs and cats are more understanding. When I got into Middle School, I got better and made some more human friends. In high school, I had a small decent friend group and was focused on what direction I wanted to go in college. I was excited to take electives and finally got a sample my junior year and got even more freedom my senior year.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
If I had to say it all in one sentence, I would say I felt alone, misunderstood, and not like other kids. Looking back now, I think things were bad, but I think I saw them as worse than what they were. I didn't appreciate the friends that I had, and my own neglect of my friends (not calling them up on phone, etc, because I'd rather be reading a book) made it difficult for those friendships to deepen to the levels I wanted.

I may have excluded potential friends. I was always, always nice to kids who were the odd man out, but that doesn't mean I felt that they were on "my level."

For example, I longed, LONGED, to be loved by a boy. And indeed there was a an INFP guy who fell hard for me, and even wrote a poem about me and published it in the school newspaper. But he used to HISS at people who teased him. That made me put him into the "pity" category, rather than the "interest" category. I even went out with him, but it was incredibly awkward. I feel bad about the whole thing because that poem was the single most romantic gift I EVER got from a guy in my entire life (and I'm 55 years old now). I wonder now if I passed up the opportunity for true love because I wrote him off as odd and immature.

High school was better than Junior High. In High School there were just more kids, so I could find groups that were more accepting of my ideosyncracies. I hung out with the choir (artsy fartsy types relish in being different) and with the gifted kids (who met together for lunch). But I'd feel alone because even though no one said, "Go away, you don't belong you freak" like they did in junior high, at the same time, no one said, "Hey there! Come over here and sit by me!"

The best thing that I did in High School was when I, along with my friend, opened up a local chapter of the Tolkien Fellowships. It did a lot for my self esteem that some how, some way, it was a success, that I ended up getting quoted in the county newspaper, invited to the invitation only premiere of Bakshi's Lord of the Rings and stuff. But what REALLY mattered most was that it introduced me to a select number of people who shared my interest in Tolkien and who were amazingly like me, personality-wise. I made lifelong friends from that group.

And finally, in high school I began my spiritual quest, a quest which has continued most of my life. A quest for meaning, for beauty, for truth, for all that is good. In me, the archetypes of the mystic, the seeker, and the sage interplay. At age 16 I realized that although I was happy in my religious upbringing, I had been highly sheltered, and I asked my father to take me around to the other denominations. It was also the first time that I visited worship services of religions outside my faith. “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

But whatever High School was like objectively, I experienced it as very, VERY painful. Make no mistake; there was a lot of depression. I retreated a lot into books. One of my most interesting memories is on the very last day of my senior year, signing someone's year book, wondering to myself if I would whitewash these memories, or if I would remember just how bad it really was.

xDDD , sorry to be a moron ... but that is alot like a teenager 90' movie .
I guess you liked smashing pumpkins xDD.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I hated school because the kids were mean to me. In junior high, I lost all my friends and my mental illness got worse. I thought high school was okay because I did my homework at home. As an adult, I have more freedom and don't need to interact with cliquey people, so it's better.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
In a word: disastrous. Similar to the post above, the more freedom Ive gained, the happier ive become.

Last edited: