• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Non-"typical" INFPs

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find the common profiles aren't too far off. However, people then color those perceptions with their experiences with the more self-involved and whinier versions of our type, and assume they are common INFP characteristics.

To me, it's like calling all ESTPs con-men or ENFJs overbearingly manipulative... Except our misconceptions invoke pity instead of resentment.

What is the real difference between an INTP and an INFP and how can you tell them apart?

INFPs feel everything, but won't tell you. INTPs feel nothing, and are quick to tell you. :D

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm all of these things at different moments, but only in private or when I'm with someone I trust. At all other times, I remain stowic. I think INFPs really only open up when they're with someone they trust, and very few people see that level of openess. This could also be the challenge for INFPs: To allow the world to see them, without fear of judgement.

Agreed. Major emphasis on the only part. A lot of descriptions note that. Warm only when comfortable, implying cold the rest of the time. Same with sensitive, fuzzy etc.

I think a lot of people read the descriptions and fail to note that it says things like "deeply caring when they get to know someone". But not in general, especially not around strangers.

What is the real difference between an INTP and an INFP and how can you tell them apart?

Take the following with a grain of salt:-

Don't expect any short term differences on the outside. They'll both be cold observers and very analytical, thinking a lot before acting. Over the long term, INFPs will generally warm up a lot faster than INTPs, and become much more hands-on and confident. INTPs will usually keep the analytical observer thing going strong. Generally, I think INFPs will be a lot more consistent in their life patterns (very long term), sticking to values, whereas INTPs may jump around seeking competency in many things (NT), and are generally much less value driven, leading to much less consistency in their lives, overall.

As for short term on the inside, well it's all about the comparison between introverted feeling and introverted thinking. Fi will naturally try and get involved in a situation first, and then stay back second (takes training to change). For Ti, vice versa. Fi constantly analyses things in reference to values, or more generally, in reference to the subject. ("How do I fit into this? How do they fit into this?") Ti analyses with no such reference ("What goes on here? How does this work?"). Value based analysis normally refers to the question "what should I do?", with little care about other people's answers to the question. This leads to a lot of Ti analysis, but only in so far as it helps an Fi dominant discover how to serve their values. Likewise, Ti might analyze a person's own values, but only in so far as understanding them. It's really an ineffable thing to experience, internal detachment vs internal attachment. Like I said, both are externally detached.

Fi+N is more imaginative, in a fairytale sense.
Ti+N is more imaginative, in a theorising sense.
They seem to converge over time, judging by some of the older members on this site, but always keep the same essence.

Again, this is just educated guesswork on my part. At least, I like to think it's educated.

Last edited:

Redbud

MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks, that was interesting! I am going to post this question on the general NF site but you seemed to be deep in an analysis of your type so I thought you might have some insight to offer.

So you would say that both are day-dreamers but that the content would differ? Or by imaginative are you saying 'creative' and that the content of expressed ideas differs?

(I am putting this on the NF board...) For instance both are given an assignment to write ad copy about a company product. The product is a pencil. The INTP *might* write about the size, color, chemical makeup of the lead (graphite etc.) and how it effects performance, factory process to produce the wood stem if it is an improvement of some kind, number in the box, price compared to the competition, where it can purchased, etc.

What might an INFP write?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Oh, and Udog-I don't care about your reply. ;-)

B

brainheart

Hello people here-

I have been hanging out at INTPforum for a few months now. I tested as INTP recently and was partially convinced that I was one, despite the fact that I tested INFP in high school and could be the poster child for the IFP type.

This is a great thread. It pretty much sealed the deal for me that I am an INFP. Thank you.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
word. i was going to say something along those lines too..
perfect handle choice, brainheart. :D

ps how are the intp boards - will they laff at you now that youre outed as infp? (this is a not so clever way of asking if they will do the same to me)

B

brainheart

ps how are the intp boards - will they laff at you now that youre outed as infp? (this is a not so clever way of asking if they will do the same to me)

no, intpforum is extremely cool. I think it helps though that I considered myself an INTP up until this point so I've already established my street cred. Now that I have their respect, they are viewing INFPs in a newfound way, I think. When I 'came out' they were all amazed- "but you're so smart and... and... rational!"

But I like them all quite a bit. I like INTPs. I like them more than non-INFP fs, in general.

and koocoo... in what way?

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
no, intpforum is extremely cool. I think it helps though that I considered myself an INTP up until this point so I've already established my street cred. Now that I have their respect, they are viewing INFPs in a newfound way, I think. When I 'came out' they were all amazed- "but you're so smart and... and... rational!"

sweet :yes:

hm..sometimes i wonder why we INFPs seem to admire our T counterparts more than they do us (initially).. sometimes i regret letting too much of my NF side out when i interact with NTs because i worry they're going to dismiss me as some hyperemotional (read: probably inferior) creature that may as well be an alien. i guess there are plenty of melodramatic NFs, but there are plenty of atypical examples as well.. (hello, thread topic)...
it seems it takes a very logistical, "T-developed" F to sort of break the ice in many cases..

..really, why can't an INFP be "smart"? we are introspective, sensitive to details, and we have the added ability to empathize (when we are focused externally enough not to be caught in our own emotions, of course!).

INFPs are so subjective by nature i think they can easily become rational as a means of creating clearer framework for their own perceptions..or something. at any rate one of the smartest girls i know is another INFP and she is particularly impressive because she is the sweetest, humblest and most accepting personality - you'd never guess she was so smart or talented by her demeanor. that's something we share with our INTP brethren, i think. i am rambling now. i digress..

on OP: i don't know if i am any more "atypical" than any other INFP, but i definitely don't personally understand the description of INFP spirituality or philosophical outlook much... the whole "good vs. evil", "black-and-white" viewpoint seems too sterile and limited/limiting for any N type to me, and furthermore i don't know why a relatively unconventional archetype is said to be so likely to fall in line with organized religion.. one of my favorite INFP traits is a willingness to explore (at least mentally) pretty much anything once, and i find i have long been doing so with different faiths, philosophies, social standpoints, etc..

B

brainheart

hm..sometimes i wonder why we INFPs seem to admire our T counterparts more than they do us (initially).. sometimes i regret letting too much of my NF side out when i interact with NTs because i worry they're going to dismiss me as some hyperemotional (read: probably inferior) creature that may as well be an alien. i guess there are plenty of melodramatic NFs, but there are plenty of atypical examples as well.. (hello, thread topic)...
it seems it takes a very logistical, "T-developed" F to sort of break the ice in many cases..

I think the admiration can be mutual. For example, I had an INTP friend who considered me to be a very good writer. I would say he admired that I was able to put into words things he was incapable of.

I think it's the TJs that have more of a problem with us. If INTPs do have a problem with NFs, I think it's due to the stereotype- the melodramatic irrational NF, as you say. I think they can feel uncomfortable because they may be worried that we will do something unpredictable and they won't know how to react.

I seem to be a T-developed F. Yes, I would say it helps.

..really, why can't an INFP be "smart"? we are introspective, sensitive to details, and we have the added ability to empathize (when we are focused externally enough not to be caught in our own emotions, of course!).

We are smart. And thanks to the Te, I think we tend to do well in school. But I only know a couple of INFPs, so my data pool is pretty limited.

on OP: i don't know if i am any more "atypical" than any other INFP, but i definitely don't personally understand the description of INFP spirituality or philosophical outlook much... the whole "good vs. evil", "black-and-white" viewpoint seems too sterile and limited/limiting for any N type to me, and furthermore i don't know why a relatively unconventional archetype is said to be so likely to fall in line with organized religion.. one of my favorite INFP traits is a willingness to explore (at least mentally) pretty much anything once, and i find i have long been doing so with different faiths, philosophies, social standpoints, etc..

I am 100% with you on this one. I am incredibly aspiritual. Not interested, don't think about it, even though I was raised to be so. That was one of the things that made me think I was an INTP instead of an INFP.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hm..sometimes i wonder why we INFPs seem to admire our T counterparts more than they do us (initially)
Arrogance. "Illogical bastards. Pshaw." It's natural, I think. I honestly have no idea why you guys like us so much. Shouldn't you tend to look down on us as cold and heartless?

I actually admire you guys a lot, and more Ts should too. After all, you have such great understanding of your emotions, and I tend to be clueless about mine. Plus, INFxs have a degree of control over their emotions (often) that blows my mind. And don't all Ts want control over their emotions?

The one INFP I know is very smart. She's quite an intellectual. Based on what I've read about INFPs, she isn't that "typical" either... probably because she wears her SJ suit every day (she's a high school Government teacher).

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
The one INFP I know is very smart. She's quite an intellectual. Based on what I've read about INFPs, she isn't that "typical" either... probably because she wears her SJ suit every day (she's a high school Government teacher).

. i think there's a fair number of INFPs masquerading as other types out there..

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I always thought that INFPs were supposed to be smart.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
. i think there's a fair number of INFPs masquerading as other types out there..
This is proof of how little I know about you guys. Pardon me. :doh:

EDIT: I think, when I was posting the previous message, I was thinking that INFP stereotypes (the ones I've heard on this thread, anyway) don't bear much resemblance to SJ stereotypes. Of course, I'm not sure if I like the word "typical" in this context. I mean, in all seriousness, a truly atypical INFP would be one that actively seeks out conflict, and ENJOYS it. Besides that, there's a lot of wiggle room, right? You know, borderline N, etc?
Eh... I dunno. I'm kind of digging my own hole here. No more editing for me!

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is it not the wish of infp's to actively pause for a bit of a disclaimer when it comes to general characteristics, ever the perpetual seekers no?
The certainty being uncertain in the preclusion of deviation from the sense that can pigeon hole the state of what it is like to exist.

So yeah, you will find a cross platform of differentiation, isn't that with each personality. The stronger Fi the more overstated expression in personality style I would of thought but then that is for all functions.

When congregated together the Fi, Ti or whatever screams plutonium oxide or something, lots of heat for lots of fluff n logic sacred cows.

Yes similarities are there yet we are all individual, the background, history, culture, experience make each person their own, self seeking answers and commonality to make sense and belong.

Its common to want to disassociate from the general picture of description because there is discrepancy, as sweet as it is its a fuzz bucket that can explain general components rather the the entire dimension.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
..my concern is not to fit in with or deviate purposefully from any description, but to understand others' perceptions.. perpetually seeking..

B

brainheart

Synapse:

The certainty being uncertain in the preclusion of deviation from the sense that can pigeon hole the state of what it is like to exist.

I am trying to wrap my brain around this sentence. The only conclusion I can come to is that you are determined to include your avatar in each post. Example: "I am trying to extricate myself from this decadent lifestyle, but I just can't shake the monkey off my back."

No disrespect meant or anything, but do you always write in non sequiturs?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hm..sometimes i wonder why we INFPs seem to admire our T counterparts more than they do us (initially)

Pfft....INTP guys always want to date me & I keep rejecting them :devil:.
Seriously though, they usually regard me as intelligent, but ultimately, they think no one is as smart as they are :rolli: :D.

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4

My T is very developed, so I get on well with Ts. When people are getting to know me, they see me as intellectual. As they get to know me though, they find my heart and emotions rule my drives and decisions. There is a lot of passion in feeling, and that's something they always bring up: how they wish they could see things as I do and have the passion I do for what I am after.

I love INTPs, and wish I could meet an INTP with a developed Fe. They do have intense emotions, but I find they don't trust them and will not make decisions based on how they feel about anything. They seem to have an absolute need to be able to understand and explain everything in a logical sense.

I think NTs can run into serious problems when they need to make a decision that cannot be made on logic alone, such as what constitutes art, or matters of the heart. It's like they hit a wall or get stuck in a loop and can't move forward, often shutting down or lashing out in frustration so that they can just move on.

Intelligence only gets you so far...