• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Non-"typical" INFPs

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Most of the INFPs I've known had a comfortable distaste with humanity in general*, though they still don't want to see people harmed. It's the internal sense of, to pick one word, "justice" which rules the INFP (versus the internal sense of logic which rules the INTP).

*may be why we got along.

More like an aversion for human nature not human beings.
Because we think everyone is innately good, their actions don't define them.
It's analogous to someone saying something is stupid without the person actually being stupid.

...At least that's the way I see it :)

I've been called insensitive by some Fe types because my empathy is all embracing, and, yes, impersonal. I also suppose that the cartoon description of types is always unfair to them, and maybe with INFP's this happens even more often since we tend to, uhm, confuse people. :yes:

Yes. Me too.
I had an INFJ friend tell me once that "something was wrong with me" because I didn't believe in capital punishment. To further persuade me, she gave the classic "what if the murderer killed your family?" example, and I told her that although I would be completely distraught and lost without my family I'd find the strength to forgive that person and believe in my heart that the crime in itself was punishment enough. She still didn't really get it.

But that said it's mostly a matter of semantics; I think that we are indeed prone to smooth things out, but not in a let's all agree and wub each other Fe kind of way,more as in always provide the balance when the balance is off. Sometimes this requires stirring things up. We love conflict sometimes, because it can restore harmony.

We strive for peace and will do anything to acheive it. Even if that means protesting, rebelling, being argumentative, etc. to get our point across.
I like the way you describe our role as the one who establishes and maintains balance. That's better than our portraying the thin-skinned peacemaker stereotype.

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
Think of every internal self that someone could be and that is the cast of an INFP.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If Fi is about personal authenticity, then it would suggest that Fi-dominants would be the least given to categorization and labels.

I also continually get confused by discussions comparing INFJ and INFP because almost everything said here about universal empathy I have heard applied to the INFJ. The discussions tend to address certain topics, but swap out the J and P to a point I've never been able to understand.

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
J's try to make the universal empathy, while P's try to live it out.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I always thought that INFPs were supposed to be smart.

For a moment, I felt ashamed of being smart, because it made me trite. Just for a moment. ;)

Then I felt ashamed of needing to feel unique, because it made me trite. There wasn't any getting out of that loop. :doh: