• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Non-"typical" INFPs

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I like MBTIc because it isn't biased. An INFP forum or an INTJ forum will result in all the members doing there best to be as INFP or INTJ as possible, and the impression you get of people is skewed. It's good here because not everyone even beleives in MBTI in the first place.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
As I read more on the types I become more and more skeptical. A lot of things I can understand, but to try and categorize everyone and shove them into a box? I think MBTI does an okay job at outlining several branches of personalities, but I don't think anyone can pick a type and say that it's them to a 'T'. I'm sure there are a lot of gray areas in between.

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
An INFP forum or an INTJ forum will result in all the members doing there best to be as INFP or INTJ as possible, and the impression you get of people is skewed.

YES. Absolutely agreed. I hate that. :yes:

Cameigons

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
4w3
Yes, I could say I'm atypical too, or at least I dislike feeling trapped inside this "personality box". But if I was forced to pick one of 16 boxes, that one I would feel less uncomfortable would still be the INFP box.

I'm not a firm MBTI "believer" either. If anything, I stick with Jung's position on the matter, as he would be against such classification system.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Going along with the non"typical" INFPs, I think a lot of people think of us as "peaceful", passive, not willing to fight, calm, and all these great things, but the truth is not necessarily that. I'm not willing to be a follower, but I will stand up and fight for my values, like my family, and the people I love. At any given second, I'd be willing to fight to the death for loved ones, and I'm not exagerating. It's a classic F trait..making decisions off of values. That being said, we aren't these peaceful, calm, quiet, harmonious little creatures..

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Going along with the non"typical" INFPs, I think a lot of people think of us as "peaceful", passive, not willing to fight, calm, and all these great things, but the truth is not necessarily that. I'm not willing to be a follower, but I will stand up and fight for my values, like my family, and the people I love. At any given second, I'd be willing to fight to the death for loved ones, and I'm not exagerating. It's a classic F trait..making decisions off of values. That being said, we aren't these peaceful, calm, quiet, harmonious little creatures..
Oh god...Good INFP friend of mine, I (+ an INFP and INTP...) would give him so much shit. He's the kind of guy who will hardly tell you his political opinion even if you directly ask for it, but he has the "Bush Sucks" calendars and some great t-shirt graphics. Like: A big peace symbol in which the two diagonals are halves of a broken rifle. We call it the "Break All Guns" shirt. And the shirt with two doves and an olive branch I guess in their mouths, with "PEACE" underneath. Of course we'd remind him that the birds are fighting over the branch, and are prepared to kill to win.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Isn't a typical INFP one that thinks he/she is non-typical?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm glad the OP posted this.
Like most people here, I think I tend to be a lot darker than some of the INFP type descriptions would have you believe.
I'm sensitive, most definitely, but truth be told, people would have trouble picking it.
Hard to pin down IRL, would describe me best, and I'm a tempermental b!@*%, as well. Especially if I dislike some one. I also cut off people dead, if they have annoyed/hurt me. Although this is harder to do if I had been close with them.
I come across warm, to a certain point, but nobody gets too close, unless I let them. Never without my permission. I'm kinda detached as well.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bumping this thread for people to discuss the OP. I personally totally agree with it. A lot of these "typical" INFP traits seem like BS.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Show me an infp who knows how to use a stupid semicolon on occasion.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say I'm sensitive & vulnerable...warm & fuzzy, not so much. Irrational - at times, at other times I'm quite rational.

I agree a lot with the first post, and I also feel that while the INFPs values are at the core of who they are, the values will vary from individual to individual. Not all INFPs will value harmony above all else - while I value it, it is not at the top of my list.

A lot of INFPs seem to test INTP and question their type because of the whole nicey nice INFP stereotype (myself included).
I've gone my whole life being tagged as aloof, detached, cold, etc because my feeling is introverted, yet I also get stuck with "sensitive".
My family always tells me I need to get off the logic train and be more sentimental :shock: (lots of Fe users & expressive extroverts in my family...).

In other situations, strangers peg me as gentle & passive, and an overall mystery....which means they get to fill in the rest, possibly reducing me to a fluffy little frightened bunny.

There seems to be several layers to the INFP...keep peeling to get to the center, and try not to cry :cheese:.

I relate to a lot of the type descriptions I read. But I think that many descriptions emphasize words like 'good', 'peaceful', 'conflict avoidant', 'loyal', 'sensitive', etc etc paints the picture in readers minds of fluffy kitties and angels, when it's all entirely possible that INFPs come off quite the opposite. All these traits are very internally directed and can't be seen from the outside all the time, so I suppose that's what happens when you come across a 'non-typical' INFP.

I agree that a lot of what these descriptions describe are internal workings, not the outside impression given to others.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I realized recently that I do know a number of INFPs and all I have to say is in general INFPs are aloof. Even prickly. And yes, cold. Not effusive, warm, touchy feely, sweet, etc. - save those adjectives for ISFXs! :alttongue:

However, many of the INFP that I have seen greatly appreciate high Fe users and respond very very well to people who are tradtionally 'sweet', very friendly, warm, etc. I think it mirrors back what the INFP themselves would like to be like or even see themselves like and softens up their hard Fi shell. The irony is that they do not respond well to their own style of Fi dominance - that is, of holding firm to values.

It's kinda of annoying, actually. Ha ha ha ha, okay I'm thinking of a particular INFP whom I dated. I will not hold this against all INFPs, promise (just her).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I realized recently that I do know a number of INFPs and all I have to say is in general INFPs are aloof. Even prickly. And yes, cold. Not effusive, warm, touchy feely, sweet, etc. - save those adjectives for ISFXs! :alttongue:

However, many of the INFP that I have seen greatly appreciate high Fe users and respond very very well to people who are tradtionally 'sweet', very friendly, warm, etc. I think it mirrors back what the INFP themselves would like to be like or even see themselves like and softens up their hard Fi Ti shell.

Eh, this could very well describe me.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

However, many of the INFP that I have seen greatly appreciate high Fe users and respond very very well to people who are tradtionally 'sweet', very friendly, warm, etc. I think it mirrors back what the INFP themselves would like to be like or even see themselves like and softens up their hard Fi shell. The irony is that they do not respond well to their own style of Fi dominance - that is, of holding firm to values.

I'd say this is mostly true :yes:
Sometimes when I hear people describe INFPs, it sounds waaaay more like a nurturing ISFJ.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Warm? Fuzzy? Irrational? Sensitive? Vulnerable? Am I the only one calling BS on these being typical INFP traits?

I've expereinced all of these things for most of my life and I'm an INFP, so I definitely would not say that it's "bullshit". It's just not the whole picture.

My personal experience has shown INFPs to definitely not be clingy, needy, vulnerable (on the outside), overly emotional (on the outside) and all that.

I am capable of being all of those things. Maybe the INFPs you knew just didn't trust you enough or whatever to show you this side.

Am I just being crazy about this or something? I thought INFPs were a hard nut to crack, and what goo comes out when you do is dependent almost entirely on the individual.

I'm definitely a nut. I can also be sarcastic, glib, snide, bitchy, or funny. Of course nobody acts like a kitten 24/7.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
*shoves all INFPs in an INFP box and tells them that we know everything about them to watch them squirm*

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
*shoves all INFPs in an INFP box and tells them that we know everything about them to watch them squirm*

No squirming. Just giving you a calm "what do you think you're doing?" sort of look.

Warm? Fuzzy? Irrational? Sensitive? Vulnerable? Am I the only one calling BS on these being typical INFP traits?

I'm all of these things at different moments, but only in private or when I'm with someone I trust. At all other times, I remain stowic. I think INFPs really only open up when they're with someone they trust, and very few people see that level of openess. This could also be the challenge for INFPs: To allow the world to see them, without fear of judgement.

When it comes to empathy, it's about a search for understanding. You don't have to agree with someone in order to understand why they are who they are or why they've done what they've done. If I can understand the reasons behind something, I can accept pretty much anything for what it is and then either move on or find a resolution.

Redbud

MBTI Type
INTP
What is the real difference between an INTP and an INFP and how can you tell them apart?