• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and the effect of music

milti girl

MBTI Type
INFP
Are NFs more likely to listen to the same music/song again and again and again? Most NFs I know (including me) have a favourite playlist they don't mind listening to over and over again. Hence they make pretty bad DJs at parties.

And does anyone else experience this feeling that some music is sooo haunting...that it takes you to someplace far away in your head or reminds you of some memory or dream or just makes you feel really really happy or sad?

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
That's funny. I'm definitely that way. I listen until I kill it.

Also, I have my iPod set on random cause I'd rather have someone pick my songs for me than have to choose them myself. It's stressful!

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Are NFs more likely to listen to the same music/song again and again and again? Most NFs I know (including me) have a favourite playlist they don't mind listening to over and over again. Hence they make pretty bad DJs at parties.

And does anyone else experience this feeling that some music is sooo haunting...that it takes you to someplace far away in your head or reminds you of some memory or dream or just makes you feel really really happy or sad?

No. No no. I am going to pretend that you are not attempting to correlate listening to songs on repeat with the combined traits of Intuition and Feeling.

And to the second part, yes.

Last edited:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I do that all the time. But I have what some people call "Strong Fi."

RiderOnTheStorm

E. N.. T... :P
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I might listen to the same song 2 to 3 times, but that's the extent of it. I'd get annoyed if I had to listen to the same music over, and over again. I have a rare appreciation for all types of music I like to think. Some people say they like "all" music. Nein. Definitely not the case.

Funny you should mention DJ, because there is a DJ position I am currently pursuing.

Yes, there are songs that remind me of a certain place and time in my life. Very vividly I might add. I have a photographic memory.

milti girl

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, I wouldn't say my own memory is very photographic. It's okay - and some images I see are very vivid. But what bothers me is that some music I listen to reminds me of places I've dreamt about - either daydreams or night dreams, or both, I usually can't place which. And then I close my eyes tightly and long to just escape this world and enter the song and then I feel sad and empty...it's disturbing!
:boohoo:

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
I do that all the time. But I have what some people call "Strong Fi."

I don't think it's because of Fi. My ENFJ (Fe) friend listens to the same sad song over and over again for years and never knows how to get tired of it.
I, on the other hand, do get tired of old songs. But for a lot of times I do not really care, just need some background noise for my "head-in-the-clouds" mind.

persse

MBTI Type
?
If there is a song I really like, I'll listen to it again and again until I don't feel like listening to it anymore. Usually, I'm into some songs at one time, but after some time I get into other songs and stop listening to the first ones.
But I do get bored eventually and I change the playlist.

Lalaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah I usually do that too. Lately I have been listening to the Yoshida Brothers and Perfume. Their albums have been on repeat in my iPod for months.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
No. No no. You are not asking this question. I am going to pretend that you are not attempting to correlate listening to songs on repeat with the combined traits of Intuition and Feeling.
Yeah...

milti girl

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah I usually do that too. Lately I have been listening to the Yoshida Brothers and Perfume. Their albums have been on repeat in my iPod for months.

After I got the Fray album I couldn't stop listening, even after I learnt all the songs. I just couldn't. I associated them with a holiday my parents and friends and I had gone on, and now I can't ever listen to their music without wanting to look at the photographs and relive that holiday again.

Oh, and this happens with movies too. I tend to watch the same movie againa nd again till it's burned in my head for life.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I wouldn't say my own memory is very photographic. It's okay - and some images I see are very vivid. But what bothers me is that some music I listen to reminds me of places I've dreamt about - either daydreams or night dreams, or both, I usually can't place which. And then I close my eyes tightly and long to just escape this world and enter the song and then I feel sad and empty...it's disturbing!
:boohoo:

I experience the same thing with certain songs. And then I listen to them...over and over and over...and over...until eventually I've sucked all of that feeling out of a song. And yes, the feeling is one of limitless sadness and longing, but it is also so vague I can't tell what it refers to. It's a bit like a random case of homesickness. However, the imagery is quite nice, usually of places I've never been to, heard of, or researched in my waking hours.

I don't think it's something disturbing. I seem to identify it as something incredibly human.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Same here man, same here. I overdose on songs until I temporarily get sick of them. Then we're back again usually, not always.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes. Definitely. In the extreme sense.

I can listen to one song on repeat the whole day, like even 10 hours straight. And I like doing so. I always have music playing when I'm at home. Usually I have a little more variety in my playlists, but that's the extreme case. If someone is ever going to live with me, I'm sure I'm gonna drive him crazy with my endless repeats.

That also applies on a larger scale. I have like three or four artists that I like above all else and I just never get tired of them. For example, I've been listening to one particular artist like six years now, and I've heard all the songs a few billion million times... I just never get bored.

It's funny when some friends occasionally brag that "this song is so good that I listened to it three times!". Ha. From my perspective that's just nothing. Make it 300 and that's something!

I know I'm weird when it comes to music, but I just breath it. I play instruments and I compose music myself, so I'm quite of a musical being.

I listen to a very wide variety of (styles of) music, but the few favorites I have are something that just keep on going year after year. I have to say my favorite artist list has been expanding in the last few years more rapidly, and that's essentially a good thing.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah, I like listening to this one CD I have of pipe organ music originally writen by Johan Sebastian Bach. It's one of my faves.

IamDisplaced

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know if it's an NF thing, but I can definitely say that I listen to songs over and over again. Each and every song represents something- a feeling inside, a thought/memory.. something. A certain riff, word, and/or phrase in a song will cause me to listen until I just can't listen anymore. Today, I've been listening to John Mayer's "Gravity" for HOURS, all because of the phrase: "Just keep me where the light is." I have quite a few songs/albums that I will never get tired of listening to.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i cannot listen to a song back to back
it has to be on a different day
but i usually pair songs together, for transition and contrast purposes