• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and the effect of music

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
lmao yeah... i can(and have) listen(ed) to a song 50 times straight.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sometimes i don't even hear it it's just the meaning of the message.

it's mood regulation, something i can tune or attune myself to.

it helps me organize my internal emotional environment.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If I really like an album I've just purchased, I will usually listen to it exclusively for a long time. The amount of time depends on how much I like the album. I can only listen to the same song over again so many times before I need to change it.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I know you all have heard what I'm about to say a million times, but it's so completely true with me:

Music inspires me. That's it. When I listen to certain music, it inspires me to act..to do things. It's motivational, and adds depth to our lives. It gives us our own unique characters.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
this is such an interesting thread..that honestly speaking, kinda bit touched me. hehe

along with this, i'll make a new thread, specifically discussing about how then would you treat the music that you like.
so check it out! :)

Levitas

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
After I got the Fray album I couldn't stop listening, even after I learnt all the songs. I just couldn't. I associated them with a holiday my parents and friends and I had gone on, and now I can't ever listen to their music without wanting to look at the photographs and relive that holiday again.

Oh, and this happens with movies too. I tend to watch the same movie againa nd again till it's burned in my head for life.

I was the same way with The Fray. Amazing the effect they can have on people. I associate their music with speaking to my dad for the first time in ten years. Every time I listen to them that's what I think of.

Even though I am not NF...

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am guilty of killing the replay button for a lot of songs. The songs themselves change, there are others that having more staying power. Some, I know are special songs off the bat but other songs have more of an acquired taste to them. I hear something new in the songs with each listen. Even listening to a song multiple times in a row/multiple times in the same day. There are some songs that I relate to a lot or connect to certain situations in my life.

I find a way to connect to each and every one of the lyrics. It could be the tune/instrumentation of the song that brings me back too if that part is good. Some songs are just so good that I torment that poor little replay button, what did it ever do to anyone but give them great music and videos? Sometimes, I may connect a song to a certain show/movie/character that I'm obsessing over.

Yes I listen to the same music a lot. Fortunately my tastes span multiple genres and time periods and thousands of songs, so I don’t get bored. I don’t tend to play the hell out one or two songs for hours anymore or have one CD (back before digital storage) in the stereo for a week.

Each piece of music takes me somewhere but most songs don’t take me to the same place every time unless a powerful memory is attached to it. Instrumentals really take me away which is definitely a necessity in this world.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I do listen to the same music over and over again - though there are times when I need to try out new music so it doesn't get stale. The same songs can be inspiration for different scenes that I imagine in my head, or just relate to.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
If album is average I would listen only once, maybe twice but if album good I will buy CD or download it. True music lovers had CD/Vinyl/Cassette collections but today I don't see a point buying album or song if you don't want to listen it anymore. :)

For example I listened all songs from Shokran but only once, maybe some song twice or three times and that's it. They are good but this is not my type of music, neither this music inspired me.
But Septicflash for example I can listen same album (not just songs) over and over again and never get bored. If you like something or someone you are hard to move from it. :)

I think searching for music is some TP thing since they don't know what they like or dislike. :)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not saying all of the respondents are NFPs, but I wonder if the tendency to hit repeat multiple times for the same song is in any way related to having weak but valued Si. Or not type related?

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
NFP literally can play same song over and over again everyday if they like it. Obsession for not just song but band. They can listen 5 bands and repeat it over and over again till your ears bleed. :D

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Are NFs more likely to listen to the same music/song again and again and again? Most NFs I know (including me) have a favourite playlist they don't mind listening to over and over again. Hence they make pretty bad DJs at parties.

And does anyone else experience this feeling that some music is sooo haunting...that it takes you to someplace far away in your head or reminds you of some memory or dream or just makes you feel really really happy or sad?

allllllllllllll of this.

i will literally kill a song, infact if we had records mine would be scratched up. My Cds are still some of my favorite things. i am grateful my car still has this option.

I am so connected to music that i feel it all the way through, i have cried from the beauty of a song. or put together another entire lifetime off of the feeling of a song.

I do hope Plato is right and we become an infinite melody in a beautiful song when we die.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
NFP literally can play same song over and over again everyday if they like it. Obsession for not just song but band. They can listen 5 bands and repeat it over and over again till your ears bleed. :D

i am so into the ear bleeding. and like really really Loud sometimes like it cant get loud enough.. and then other times its just one part of the song and i just to play that verse over and over and over.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
One of the things i most admire about infp's is their love for sadness xDD.
I don't know ... melancholic temperaments always had this way to think about the world in a unique way.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I'm not saying all of the respondents are NFPs, but I wonder if the tendency to hit repeat multiple times for the same song is in any way related to having weak but valued Si. Or not type related?

That does seem to be quite likely, my Si is pretty developed but nowhere near as good as Si doms, it seems. (I say after the type me post where I figure out I'm INFP, not ISTJ) It seems like there's some truth to the words where Si doms are actually more open to change, my Si seems to be stuck on doing the same things, not like Si for whom there is a function towards doing things the same way.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Maybe. I once played the same exact song for 5 days straight. I even took it in my car.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I used to listen to Symphony X's The Odyssey-a 25 minutes epic- every morning for a period of month before going to school in order to learn it, appreciate it, and understand it more.

I think this is an N thing rather than it is NT or NF. One might listen in loops to appreciate the depth and meaning, while someone else would do that to explore their feelings if they can connect them to the song.

And does anyone else experience this feeling that some music is sooo haunting...that it takes you to someplace far away in your head or reminds you of some memory or dream or just makes you feel really really happy or sad?

A song, a smell, a touch somewhere in the body, a place, a word,... Etc, might play the role of a trigger/anchor to a certain memory or a certain feeling. The same anchor might lose its association once being summoned/explored frequently.

e.g: You visit some place, it might remind you of your ex. Visit that place frequently enough, and it will have a different association and meaning.

It's a human thing.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have more than 800 songs but I often find myself listening to the same ones. I like music that touches me on an emotional level.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Due to inferior Si, I can definitely see the ENPs in general having the tendency to relisten to the same songs. They won't do this all of the time though, and it's better that they don't. It's more like a resisting sort of thing because it's framiliar and comfortable. Often inferior Si appears as revisiting a favorite place or movie or book or episode.