• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and the effect of music

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
^ Really? I'm seeing NF - or at least N - involved.

Well, you posted this in the NF section...but there have been at least three T's that responded saying that they also related. And like Trinity said, this is an overwhelmingly N forum, so we aren't really able to see if and how the S folks diverge from this pattern.

Lizzy1813

MBTI Type
ENFP
For me, it depends on my mood. When I'm one way, I want 'this' type of music, another way, 'that' type.

But when it comes down to it, if I find something I really like, I can listen to it endlessly...much to the chagrin of some friends and family. :headphne:

milti girl

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, I guess the fact that people from all parts of the MBTI spectrum are able to identify with the question shows that appeal to music either really is universal or is totally dependent on the individual involved. I'm just surprised because a lot of people I know in real life want variety in their music playlists and the movies they see, but a large number of people here seem to be perfectly happy sticking to music they know they like.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Are NFs more likely to listen to the same music/song again and again and again? Most NFs I know (including me) have a favourite playlist they don't mind listening to over and over again. Hence they make pretty bad DJs at parties.

And does anyone else experience this feeling that some music is sooo haunting...that it takes you to someplace far away in your head or reminds you of some memory or dream or just makes you feel really really happy or sad?

Yup, both of the above.

I've forced people I care about to "listen to this great song - it means so much to me" time and time again, only to have them stare blankly at me, not getting it. I stopped doing that a while ago.

I am the one who will stop in their tracks and stare off into space if I hear an evocative song. I could be an a noisy restaurant or a retail store, but I will still stop what I'm doing and walk to the speaker so I can hear the song. People close to me have learned to grant me this indulgence.

Reminds me of this guy: [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGF93X39kRg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGF93X39kRg[/YOUTUBE]

Lotr246

I love those songs that give you chills. I'll listen to those all day long.

Brutus01

MBTI Type
INFP
I love those songs that give you chills. I'll listen to those all day long.

ya im the same way, ill listen to it a thousand times. but as for not being good djs, im a dj:newwink: and im usually good at putting others listening preferences above my own.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
When I listen to music, I don't think it'd be far fetched to say that I see flashing colors and pictures, piecing them together as I listen; when I watch a film or read a book, I have a difficult time focusing because my mind is trying to form visual pictures while my eyes are trying to focus on a picture. It's an experience not unlike looking at a rapidly flashing .gif with, say, words and/or several thousands of other flashing pictures. Unless I am able to completely separate my use of the two senses, the pictures flash too rapidly for me to get a grip on anything.

Suffice to say, listening is a strength.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I say Haphazard and I should make our new little cognitive functions based on solfège. :D

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
When I listen to music, I don't think it'd be far fetched to say that I see flashing colors and pictures, piecing them together as I listen; when I watch a film or read a book, I have a difficult time focusing because my mind is trying to form visual pictures while my eyes are trying to focus on a picture. It's an experience not unlike looking at a rapidly flashing .gif with, say, words and/or several thousands of other flashing pictures. Unless I am able to completely separate my use of the two senses, the pictures flash too rapidly for me to get a grip on anything.

Suffice to say, listening is a strength.

Si IS your tertiary function...

i have a lot of Si dominant friends (ISTJs and ISFJs) who describe music in terms of visuals. my one friend always says images flash in his head when he hears a song.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Si IS your tertiary function...

i have a lot of Si dominant friends (ISTJs and ISFJs) who describe music in terms of visuals. my one friend always says images flash in his head when he hears a song.
Maybe this also explains why I'm afraid of working with my hands.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Maybe this also explains why I'm afraid of working with my hands.

it wouldn't have anything to do with that lol. i know a lot of (and i hate this notation) XNXPs that dont like working with their hands. personally, i love working on cars so everyone is different.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
it wouldn't have anything to do with that lol. i know a lot of (and i hate this notation) XNXPs that dont like working with their hands. personally, i love working on cars so everyone is different.

I know several ENFPs who also love working with their hands. I'd bet that having Ne three steps above Si helps.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Me too. Working with my hands is very cathartic for me. Actually, for my twin sister Pink, too. She was a mechanic for years. Working on cars is therapeutic. Well, as long as I don't have to lay under one for weeks on end. lol

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I know several ENFPs who also love working with their hands. I'd bet that having Ne three steps above Si helps.

that depends on E vs I, the orientation shifts between the two

I just like doing it as a form of escapism. also Si is an unconscious process for me (shadow function) so i doubt it is that. I'm pretty sure it's just that i like creating and rebuilding systems which can be a very ENFP thing. ENTP even more.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
that depends on E vs I, the orientation shifts between the two

I just like doing it as a form of escapism. also Si is an unconscious process for me (shadow function) so i doubt it is that. I'm pretty sure it's just that i like creating and rebuilding systems which can be a very ENFP thing. ENTP even more.

That's the possibility that I was hinting at, yes.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
ahh ok, well an orientation shift makes quite a difference.

snowflurri

MBTI Type
INFP
That sounds like me. Most of the time.

Though sometimes I like the a song so much that I refrain from listening to it too much in case I get tired of it. But usually I do end up listening to it over and over again.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i think the music looses its emotional kick if i listen to it over and over again. then ill usually forget about a song and hear it again after a long time. then it's like ive never heard it before

Jaded

MBTI Type
INFP
Music

I personally find that if i dont lsn to music, i cant think/ function lol :doh:
so its much more to me than just enjoying it, its part of how i work lol, many of my friends find it weird how i can read + work with music on all the time , but i duno, i jst can!!! and about the whole gettin bored of songs, it all depends on my mood, i actually have playlists labled by different moods, so all in all each song gets its turn, and that way i could lsn to a song 100 times and if im in the mood for it i wouldnt mind, i lsned to 'violet hill' - Coldplay 100 times maybe loolz...anywways thats jst me=)...:headphne:

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
Heh, I do that all the time. Now I have fallen in love with the good old Bach's Toccata and Fugue and Rachmaninov's Prelude.

I'm generally a very musical person and obviously a musical thinker. For example, I learn almost everything using rhythms and melodies. I'm also totally into the theory of music, lol.