• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Are INFJS ever aware that perfection doesn't exist and some other things.

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp
You have two threads criticizing INFJs. The language you use assumes facts not established. Let me look at your OP.

The very title of the thread "Are INFJs ever aware that perfection doesn’t exist and some other things" is immediately critical and hostile. It is insulting and condescending.

Yet I suspect you can't even see that.

Ouch, look at all those assumptions. Where is your evidence that "INFJs need perfection"? They might see better ways, but usually consider the feelings of others and are slow to be meanspirited or hypercritical. IME, it is a very different type that gets hyper critical and insensitive.

And "if the littlest thing sets them off", wowsers. IME, INFJs are actually the opposite. They accommodate to great ends before they let themselves be set off.

"Are they wanting to be by themselves" is a regular feature of INFJs and introverts, given that is how most introverts recharge.

Again, pretty rude and cold criticisms here, assuming facts that are unsupported. The word choice is not in the least bit compassionate, understanding, or empathetic.

We get that you judge the INFJs you know as "rude and cold", but neither of those is commonly associated with FJs in generally, unless they are unhealthy.

Idealism is great, but those ideas presented here are usually associated with a very different type.

Most get along really well, actually. They are kind and understanding and quickly read the emotional states of others, without needing to look inside themselves.

A lot more of scattered criticisms. Perhaps they reject your ideas not because "in reality they don't care about anything you have said" but because they just disagree. People too often mistake accommodation for agreement, so they can be shocked when they learn otherwise.

"So you pretty much mean nothing at all to them" is another huge leap without foundation.

Wow, huges leaps of irrational thinking. Again, "what I always walk away with" really is you assuming what the INFJs are thinking.

Again "if youre not 100 percent perfect in their mindset of perfection" looks like yet another assumption for which you projected your thinking on to the alleged INFJs in your life.

"In short, nothing in this world is going to make them happy." is yet another assumption and judgment critical of INFJs. There is nothing to support it.

Wow, just wow. Such a cruel and wrong judgment.

The road to hell is paved with "good intentions." Yet more assumptions, projections, and judgments.....

INFJs as vampires......interesting.

The INFJs, like all FJs, are feeling mostly externally. Many struggle to know what they are feeling themselves. INFPs tend to feel very hard internally. And look inwardly to find what others are feeling. So, your criticism here looks like more assumptions and projections.

Pretty much all FJs do. It is what external feelers do.

So, your OP is full of judgment and assumptions. It seems you are projecting things that you dislike about yourself on to INFJs, which is normal with projection.

So, again, I sorry about your relationship with people you believe to be INFJs going south. But these posts of yours are pretty hostile and appear based out of your own issues....

Could you inform me on how to name a thread so I know for the future?

My evidence is only what I've experienced with the INFJ in my circle of friends as well as what I've read from others. In almost everything I read it says they struggle with perfection and that it might be in one area of their life or in several. Also from gathering what I've been accused of from other INFJs, I wonder if they believe in perfection to such a great extent since the do the exact same thing and insist it's their personality type.

Is the reason they are slow to be mean-spirited or hypocritical all that mostly true or is it something they do in ways to avoid conflict and actually speak their minds?

If they accommodate, I think they do it within their own heads. How is another person to know that someone they're talking to (most specifically an infj) to know that? Is everyone supposed to be mind readers?

Right. I forgot to mention "unhealthy" in the title, but I think I mentioned the word unhealthy once or twice in the thread. I am sorry my overall thead was not correct.

So you're saying that I mistake accommodation for agreement? I don't. I'm more shocked on how INFJs can change their personalities and their reactions depending on which person they're hanging out with.

What more could a person assume when an INFJ doorslams? I mean is there some some sort of secret portal where an INFJ can meet with another personality type so the other person can actually know what the problem is? Is it the INFJ's way to make the other person figure out everything on their own?

I never said that INFJs were vampires. If anything, INFJs call INFP's vampires in my experiences or from what I've read. I'm just saying after someone has apologized a great deal and hasn't heard anything back -- it sort of drains you.

I never said anything about myself being perfect or innocent. I have clearly started that I have my own issues that I have acknowledged and are working at. I noticed them because of the INFJ in my life telling me that -- but I'm not sure the INFJ senses their own faults in my situation, is what I'm saying.

When someone in your life points out all of your flaws in a negative and cruel way, but doesn't at all take a look at themselves... is that exactly fair?

That seems very judgmental but of course everything I've said is completely wrong. You know INFPs -- we're always the victims while INFJs are just misunderstood and misdiagnosed if they so much as resemble anything negative -- which then makes them an INFP.

I wish I could apologize for my sarcasm, but it runs in the family.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is classified as young age wise?

It's just such a complicated issue. Because after my confusion and hurt faded away, I saw what was underneath it all or I assumed it to be. Everything I was told I was... emotional vampire, toxic, selfish, and so forth I started to realize while reading that the infj shared either the same or more than me.

Toxic behavior exists in the world. So much of it doesn't even phase people because they're so used to reacting a certain way. I wouldn't blame any type for being toxic or behaving in such a way if it wasn't deliberate. But I'm able to accept people as who they are. It doesn't mean I have to like them, but I'd never let the bad outweigh thr good in someone who was close to me. That just seems like having too much of a choke hold on perfection.

So after I got over being hurt and having my self esteem stepped on, I started to focus in on myself and try to fix what someone close to me had pointed out. I thought the same would go for my infj friend but it didn't happen.

What if the infj sides too much with darkness? I know people can't be saved, but it isn't as if they fade from your thougts. It isn't as if them behaving in such a way makes it easy to know if you're overstepping boundried or not.

Basically, you're not going to just forget about them.

I guess I wonder if through everything I said, though they don't directly ask for it and they most likely won't say thanks, does it make a difference.

I understand it's within themselves but outside people, I would imagine, or myself really, tend to want to help as in sending little notes or a quick hey.

I don't mind not getting a reply back anymore, I just wonder if I'm doing the right thing by showing I care or treating the person like they're just like everybody else. As in not bringing up what's wrong but just trying to include them in my everyday life. Like calling a friend and saying hey... I tend to do that to several friends in one day every so often.

I'm talking about the under 35 demographics here.

Let's start from the beginning you don't mind: What exactly happened between you and this INFJ friend of yours?

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm more shocked on how INFJs can change their personalities and their reactions depending on which person they're hanging out with.

I do this not because I am being fake or insincere, but because I find all walks of life to be so interesting and enriching that I feel I must take on a shift-shaper in order to get along with that other person. Why create waves for nothing?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Every time I take time out to read about an infj I just sit there thinking that one minute I should attempt to reach out in one direction only to get to the bottom or the middle of the page to find out that my first idea won't work and that I should try another or that in reality they don't care about anything you have said so you pretty much mean nothing at all to them.

I am not sure if this is what you are referring to....but possibly it applies...

My experience with INFJs is typical of most Fe types in this way. They listen to the opinions, views, etc of people they admire and trust, perhaps based on long-terms impressions of who that person (or even an organization) is. This doesn't mean paranoia cannot enter the picture (ie they suspect someone of being bad, then become hypervigilant to signs that support this; yes that is an unhealthy pattern that does not define the type). But what it means is they may focus more on the source than the info itself, which flies against Ti logic. Even Fi types, being introverted rationals, will consider the reasoning in itself, independent of the source, and the idea of something being dismissed because of who it comes from is maddening.

But there is validity in the FJ way, although like all type preferences, it ends up giving you a sliver of truth and not the whole picture (the problem every individial faces). The validity I see is they are, in a way, questioning the premise. Why bother considering the reasoning if the premise is off?

As NPs, we can pride ourselves in seeing many perspectives, but in doing so, we lose out on the focused view, which ironically, is the more common mentality (ie mostly SJs).

There is also the danger in going down the rabbit hole because of using reasoning to try and make sense of every premise. Questioning the premise is a valuable tool I have learned from other types.

Young INFPs can learn that....if you made a thread asking, "How come INFPs smell like peanut butter?", then too many young INFPs may start exploring why that could be, just taking it for granted, instead of recognizing the premise is nuts and considering what motivated the OP to present that premise.

So to us, INFJs may seem too dismissive to outside input or overly suspicious of motive, whereas INFPs can be too susceptible to alternate views and give too much benefit of the doubt to others (which can then trigger self-esteem issues and a feeling of being criticized all the time; doesn't necessarily look nice or naive). These opposite styles may create frustration between the types.

What I always walk away with is that if youre not 100 percent perfect in their mindset of perfection, you aren't deserving if their time. In short, nothing in this world is going to make them happy.

This sort of thing happens with people when they don't want to see their own flaws, and yeah, that is a major flaw I see in INFJs - not wanting to face their own imperfections. To accept imperfections in others, you often have to face and accept your own.

Everyone, regardless of type, will have a tendency to project their own flaws onto others and be hyper critical of what they fear is in themselves. I notice INFJs can be sensitive to suggestions they are selfish and arrogant, and they tend to paint their "flaw" as being too giving, too caring, too unselfish, and if only others would be humbled and listen to them. Yet, that isn't what others are seeing....

Using INFPs as an example of how this works in another type.... We may complain about others being too critical and unable to see other veiws, and we may dismiss their values (ie often as "shallow"), but this really shows our own critical side, inability to really see their view, and a feeling of having our own values dismissed.

Also, just curious, do INFJs have a sense of humor at all? Does anything truly make them laugh? Do they react carefree of anything in the world?

If you know someone like this, then that is sad (not pathetic, but I truly feel sorry for them), because it seems like they must be in a really bad place to have lost all humor.

I almost never meet anyone with no sense of humor. All of the INFJs I've yet to meet have a sense of humor, although they tend to be more appreciative of it then generating it.

And for those who aren't an INFJ... have you ever felt yourself trying to take everything they say or don't say (you've read about it and applied it to someone you know ) about themselves and work with it or work with them to try to help them along -- only to find out you've failed? And that your good intentions were just met with constant annoyance or igorance?

I try not to give advice or input unless solicited explicitly. Otherwise it will annoy people and be met with obstinance.

If someone wants to vent a lot and never hear any outside input or always dismissed my input (when sought out), then honestly, I may reevaluate the relationship. I may realize I haven't set good boundaries, for the benefit of us both (see comment about codependency below). Basically, I stop being their free therapist. It can pain me to feel like I am giving up on someone because I don't want to be a fairweather friend. I don't want to be a person who runs from the broken and hurting when they are in a time they may need people the most. But some sort of codependency can begin if you are not careful.

I don't write people off as toxic, but I start to think of setting the firm boundaries as a kind of needed tough love (which I mostly loathe!) as well as respect for myself.

And if the greatest or one of the greatest things with INFJ is feeling so hard, why is it that they never seem to have the ability to feel outside if their own feelings?

Meaning do they truly care about other people's feelings more than their own?

People who are not emotionally healthy generally do not truly care about or understand others feelings, although they may put on a great show about it. Strong empathy is usually something that goes out the window when people disintegrate.

A lot of what you describe may be how it goes down for some INFJs, but other types have their own way of breaking down and not really caring about others (however they appear) is almost always a part of it (egocentric).

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp
The dynamics you describe sound like a plausible unhealthy INFJ, but there are also environment specific issues at play. Some of the answers for how to relate to this person will come from their individual experience and not being "INFJ" only. Your experiences sounds deeply complex, and I hesitate to offer any "advice" because there is no way I can know enough. The only input I can think of that might be useful fyi is to describe feelings I have that relate to what you have described -in the case it provides a useful reinterpretation of someone's behavior. Although I think people of the similar types can be fundamentally different from each other.

Ni-doms individuality is so distinct that they are at odds with the outside world. While this may be expressed as disappointment the world is imperfect, I think the core of it is simply that the external world of people is incompatible. For myself I find imperfection is what creates beauty. A perfectly formed crystal is the shape of its atomic structure and each one is identical. It is the random influences upon a crystal that give it its uniqueness and beauty. Imperfections in people are often their purest beauty.

I will confess to being an INF who wants to withdraw from the world, and I feel a lot of pain and disappointment. There is a funny way I don't judge it, but feel more confused by it. I see how people interact, notice the way it hurts me, but also notice that they seem to like it that way among themselves. If other people want it that way, it is their prerogative, but hopefully I also have the right to have my own choice about how to live. Alot of it though, is just a feeling of freedom that maybe I'm not required to conform all the time and be involved. Maybe I can have permission to be alone and embrace what I find most beautiful and uplifting. I can wish the world all the best, but allow myself to be separate. I like to see other people be free to live authentically. It would help a lot of people to be able to feel freedom to not have to always interact and conform. That permission may be helpful in interactions.

I embrace criticism from individuals who have the credibility to offer it. Because I've analyzed my own flaws and internal world so extensively, I find flippant criticisms to be patronizing. Even in the discomfort of it, I've appreciated criticisms from respected professors for my creative endeavors, which at times were very harsh and uncomfortable. I've valued personal criticisms from professional counselors over the year of my life. I'm careful to work with a counselor I find intelligent and insightful and then during sessions i am brutally honest about my flaws and receive feedback gladly. The drive by criticisms by online strangers seem absurd to me most of the time, so I don't welcome all criticisms and advice. From friends and family I'll listen if their motives are sincere.

For people who cannot hear criticisms from friends and family, it may be worth asking "what are they hearing?" They may be so internally self-critical that they have an inwardly turned megaphone. In those cases, it can be helpful to try to draw them out to describe their own flaws, rather than dictating them. By offering up honest descriptions of your own shortcomings, it can create a safer place for both people to talk about their flaws. Also if there is distrust about the motivation, that can close someone off. When I think someone is manipulating me, I won't confess my flaws, but that doesn't mean I couldn't write a book about my shortcomings. If someone is offering up a lot of criticism, but not willing to take it, then that is another level of issue that goes beyond type. If they criticize you, but reject your criticisms, I would take the literal criticism they gave you and ask how would they feel if you told them "......" and repeat exactly what they said mirrored back at them. I actually did that once. A "boyfriend" wrote me an incredibly mean Christmas card full of criticisms, so I called him up and read him the card. I asked how would he feel if I had sent him that card.

I've alrady done that.

I've asked them how they think it would make them feel, but I never got an answer back. If the INFJ is in the realm of being always right, then what she said was the truth.

And certainly, it could have been the truth, but I think the INFJ expected me not to react the way that I did. It had turned into me being manipulative, playing the victim, and pathetic.

I would never react negatively towards the INFJ in question anyway. She's shifting dangerously into the unhealthy zone or she has already been there for the longest time and I couldn't sense it to the extreme (nor did I know what personalities even were, mine, theirs, or whoevers). I could have already pointed out their own behaviors, but I'm not gonna do that to someone who is clearly in a bad place.

Instead I try to send positive vibes their way. I don't get a reply back, but it doesn't feel right to me not to reach out to someone in need -- especially someone as close as family.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay. Trying wasn't constant it was just one of those areas where I wondered... does this INFJ ever laugh?

I get different types of humor as all the other people in my life have them, but generally I can read it. I wasn't ever sure how to read the INFJ's sense of humor and when someone asked me what made the infj laugh I totally blanked.

Are you a man and this INFJ is a woman?
I have a feeling that she's just not that into you, as a partner as well as a friend.

It happens. I used to have an imbalanced friendship with someone who just didn't liked me at all, secretly, and it was difficult for me to make her laugh or be happy for longer than five seconds. Some people will be incompatible with me and that's fine.

Maybe the INFJ hid that because it was part of their true self which I've read they lose sight of because of all the people pleasing they do in their lives.

kek

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp
I'm talking about the under 35 demographics here.

Let's start from the beginning you don't mind: What exactly happened between you and this INFJ friend of yours?

Oh okay. We both are under that age... the INFJ is a year or so older than I am.

I've already mentioned that enough two months ago. I think I'm going through the cycles as in like I think I stated I was in a place of hurt and confusion, but now I have a better understanding. It's just that the understanding is more on the sense of okay, this INFJ is most likely not in the best of health at the moment right now -- what can I do to help. I only asked the questions I did (or made the assumptions I did) because I truly don't have that much experience with INFJs except for the one that isn't speaking to me. I talk casually with a few, but they're based off a blog site and I'm truly not sure what their age is and how immature they are -- so I'm not completely sure if they actuall are injs or if they just feel they're "misunderstood" therefore they must be INFJs. That again isn't meant to be offensive to INFJs either.

I have no issues mentioning a bit more over PM, but in the end I don't even see what's worth of what happened. I'm over it. I'm more in the land of this is stupid, can't this be fixed, but also knowing saying it's stupid is only one sided because the INFJ clearly doesn't feel that way.

I'm just still figuring if it's INFJ or if it's unhealthy INFJ -- and just basically wanting to hear from other INFJs. Nothing is meant to sum up all of them because people can't be spoken of together. Sometimes I'm too direct and probably my emotions get in the way of my writing, but I do everything with my emotions so I don't fully realize that.

If that's a flaw then I'll work on that too.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, like me and what the others have pointed out, sometimes you just can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. INFJs do have a very strange sense of idealism and what we want to be perfect, whether it is ourselves or our relationships with other people and so on, that when this perfection is rattled by reality, we take it extremely hard. I used to always wanted the absolute perfect relationship where the other person never challenges what I have to say and we never fight about anything, ever. That will obviously never happen and I got over it.

You and this INFJ sound young and confused. It's sad to lose a friend, but don't think of it as it having any worth of who you are as a person. You're not bad for losing this friend. Friends come and go. That's life. Someday you will find another INFJ to befriend who hasn't let their own disillusion get to them.

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp
I almost never meet anyone with no sense of humor. All of the INFJs I've yet to meet have a sense of humor, although they tend to be more appreciative of it then generating it.

That is good to know. Thank you. It's just hard to tell with this particular INFJ.

I try not to give advice or input unless solicited explicitly. Otherwise it will annoy people and be met with obstinance.

If someone wants to vent a lot and never hear any outside input or always dismissed my input (when sought out), then honestly, I may reevaluate the relationship. I may realize I haven't set good boundaries, for the benefit of us both (see comment about codependency below). Basically, I stop being their free therapist. It can pain me to feel like I am giving up on someone because I don't want to be a fairweather friend. I don't want to be a person who runs from the broken and hurting when they are in a time they may need people the most. But some sort of codependency can begin if you are not careful.

I don't write people off as toxic, but I start to think of setting the firm boundaries as a kind of needed tough love (which I mostly loathe!) as well as respect for myself.

Understood. I've stopped trying a great deal -- too busy with everything else in my life, but there are times where I run into something that reminds me of the INFJ and I still wonder. There wasn't any closure or any back and forth conversation of understanding. It was just an abort doorslam (in my opinion, maybe it's different in the eyes of the INFJ) so it took me awhile to stop using my energy on what was the root of the problem. I came to realize that it's more the INFJ than it is me and at this particular point in town, it's entirely the INFJ. As someone stated already -- they can't be helped. They have to help themselves.

The word Toxic just doesn't sit well with me. Well -- it didn't. After I read how so many people are toxic in their own way it just added to the reality that's... reality. I think the INFJ I speak of wants to classify why they feel a certain way. They want their opinions validated or that they want their opinions to be correct because it means that it gives them complete knowledge of the situation. That's great and it's very 'smart' of them, but what can do they do about it really? I'm all for people making efforts to change the world, but they don't seem to be out there wanting to change the world. They seem to just want to change those who are closest to them and that's sometimes near impossible. People don't pick their families or even those that come into their families (in certain ways, I'm saying) -- and I get that severe toxic behavior is terrible for all types, but unintentional toxic behavior that isn't so rooted in working against someone is something I feel perfectly fine with accepting on a human level because it goes right back to not being able to change someone.

I think we all want validation though. I know of times I want it or I wanted it. I've kind of seen that within myself since this issue with the INFJ and I'm doing my best to stop it. I'd like to be heard, but I'm getting more and more okay with not having those closest to me on the same page as me. I can remember wanting someone on my team when it came to an opinion and that shouldn't be. I wasn't so accepting of my INFJ and their opinion on a few things. It didn't happen repeatedly, but it did happen a few times and more than once or twice I feel was more than enough.

I don't think my INFJ friend is exactly far off from in that sense. It doesn't come from me, but from someone else close to them... they want their validation like in the past, but it doesn't happen anymore.

But that's just it, or how I think -- or figure. Validation isn't there so instead of trying to work it out within themselves it's easier to try and figure out what is it about everyone else that makes them wrong. And that's what's hell watching because when the INFJ gets to the end of the line, what will they achieve or learn? That it's also within themselves to fix something and that those they spent so much time on correcting or applying labels to still are the same people. Maybe I'm wrong and the INFJ will get what they want, but it's a terrible road to go down and it does appear like they're pinning the blame on other people.

None of my intentions here or elsewhere are to even come off sounding mean-spirited. My directness and intense need for sarcasm gets in the way, but in the end I'd just like to help my INFJ friend even from the sidelines. That's what keeps the personal and emotional drive going.. because I get that feeling like you can't kick someone when they're down or you don't want to leave someone alone when they already feel alone.

If anything I'd like to have had boundaries set from the INFJ so I could follow them. I can conform a lot to how other people react. I know they say INFP's have a way of getting a rile out of other people, but I only do that about fun stuff. When someone is seriously upset or afraid of something I won't mention it. I find it to be cruel.

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp
Well, like me and what the others have pointed out, sometimes you just can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. INFJs do have a very strange sense of idealism and what we want to be perfect, whether it is ourselves or our relationships with other people and so on, that when this perfection is rattled by reality, we take it extremely hard. I used to always wanted the absolute perfect relationship where the other person never challenges what I have to say and we never fight about anything, ever. That will obviously never happen and I got over it.

You and this INFJ sound young and confused. It's sad to lose a friend, but don't think of it as it having any worth of who you are as a person. You're not bad for losing this friend. Friends come and go. That's life. Someday you will find another INFJ to befriend who hasn't let their own disillusion get to them.

I don't seek out people based on their personality type so maybe yes or maybe not. If anything I'm interested in people's zodiac signs and not their personality types, but that's for another day.

Honestly, I think the INFJ is the more young sounding and more confused. I've been pretty accepting of the world not being a perfect place for a long time and while I agree that people should aim for the best out of their lives, I don't believe in shutting people out forever so I can get there. That's where the INFJ and I differ or what I've been left to assume. I'm not a good friend or a good person, or that I am, but I'm not the best or what the INFJ deserves within their world.

And that really does hurt. I don't think it matters what age anybody is. To know that that the people you are closest to don't have room for you in their lives anymore. I would never do that to someone else. I can't expect others to do the same though, I am well aware of that.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm so sorry you feel that way. I think you should just process the feelings you have and talk with your family and closest friends about how this situation has effected you. Talk and connect with other people in your life that care about you; often times, we take a romantic or a platonic break up very harshly because we made the other person our entire world when that's never really a healthy thing to do. Reach out to the people in your life that has always been there for you... you'd be surprised by how many people there are left in your life that still love you a lot.

This INFJ person is gone but you will find other friends. You will get through this.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm so sorry you feel that way. I think you should just process the feelings you have and talk with your family and closest friends about how this situation has effected you. Talk and connect with other people in your life that care about you; often times, we take a romantic or a platonic break up very harshly because we made the other person our entire world when that's never really a healthy thing to do. Reach out to the people in your life that has always been there for you... you'd be surprised by how many people there are left in your life that still love you a lot.

This INFJ person is gone but you will find other friends. You will get through this.

Oh. Is this the same friend the OP has been talking about since day 1?

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp
Oh. Is this the same friend the OP has been talking about since day 1?

You could have directed your question at me. :)

It is, but I understand now that the INFJ friend is of the unhealthy nature and not a straight forward INFJ.

I wasn't aware that the unhealthy versions of personalities existed in a large way.

I am also aware of other unhealthy issues within INFPs (my type) and a whole bunch of others. It's the other side of the personalities I hadn't known of before.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could you inform me on how to name a thread so I know for the future?

My evidence is only what I've experienced with the INFJ in my circle of friends as well as what I've read from others. In almost everything I read it says they struggle with perfection and that it might be in one area of their life or in several. Also from gathering what I've been accused of from other INFJs, I wonder if they believe in perfection to such a great extent since the do the exact same thing and insist it's their personality type.

Is the reason they are slow to be mean-spirited or hypocritical all that mostly true or is it something they do in ways to avoid conflict and actually speak their minds?

If they accommodate, I think they do it within their own heads. How is another person to know that someone they're talking to (most specifically an infj) to know that? Is everyone supposed to be mind readers?

Right. I forgot to mention "unhealthy" in the title, but I think I mentioned the word unhealthy once or twice in the thread. I am sorry my overall thead was not correct.

So you're saying that I mistake accommodation for agreement? I don't. I'm more shocked on how INFJs can change their personalities and their reactions depending on which person they're hanging out with.

What more could a person assume when an INFJ doorslams? I mean is there some some sort of secret portal where an INFJ can meet with another personality type so the other person can actually know what the problem is? Is it the INFJ's way to make the other person figure out everything on their own?

I never said that INFJs were vampires. If anything, INFJs call INFP's vampires in my experiences or from what I've read. I'm just saying after someone has apologized a great deal and hasn't heard anything back -- it sort of drains you.

I never said anything about myself being perfect or innocent. I have clearly started that I have my own issues that I have acknowledged and are working at. I noticed them because of the INFJ in my life telling me that -- but I'm not sure the INFJ senses their own faults in my situation, is what I'm saying.

When someone in your life points out all of your flaws in a negative and cruel way, but doesn't at all take a look at themselves... is that exactly fair?

That seems very judgmental but of course everything I've said is completely wrong. You know INFPs -- we're always the victims while INFJs are just misunderstood and misdiagnosed if they so much as resemble anything negative -- which then makes them an INFP.

I wish I could apologize for my sarcasm, but it runs in the family.
What gets confusing in threads like this is that everything you are saying is probably 100% of the person in your experience. There is a certain miscommunication that happens thousands of times online when specific, personal experience gets tangled up in abstract generalized theory in threads like these.

There is a way that threads about bad experiences with a particular type imply or outright state that the bad behaviors you are actually experiencing from an individual are also present in the strangers reading the thread because they share a type. So then people push back saying not all INFJs are guilty of this, and it gets communicated to sound like your experience being discredited. There can be elements of your experience that could resonate across type.

Like when I read your post, I definitely empathize with the experience of being told you are a horrible person from someone who cannot acknowledge any blame themselves. It was two different types between which it occurred in my case. I have no reason to doubt the credibility of your experience happening exactly as you describe it. My experience is different. The mistakes I make are different than you describe. So I can agree with the validity of your experience, but can't necessarily shame the blame of the behavior you describe because I didn't do that. I'm sure you know that, but I'm just trying to explain what is so confusing about these threads.

Perfectionism has to do with Enneagram 1, although I can see it being part of many INFJs personality in various ways, so that may be another part of the picture.

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp
What gets confusing in threads like this is that everything you are saying is probably 100% of the person in your experience. There is a certain miscommunication that happens thousands of times online when specific, personal experience gets tangled up in abstract generalized theory in threads like these.

There is a way that threads about bad experiences with a particular type imply or outright state that the bad behaviors you are actually experiencing from an individual are also present in the strangers reading the thread because they share a type. So then people push back saying not all INFJs are guilty of this, and it gets communicated to sound like your experience being discredited. There can be elements of your experience that could resonate across type.

Like when I read your post, I definitely empathize with the experience of being told you are a horrible person from someone who cannot acknowledge any blame themselves. It was two different types between which it occurred in my case. I have no reason to doubt the credibility of your experience happening exactly as you describe it. My experience is different. The mistakes I make are different than you describe. So I can agree with the validity of your experience, but can't necessarily shame the blame of the behavior you describe because I didn't do that. I'm sure you know that, but I'm just trying to explain what is so confusing about these threads.

Perfectionism has to do with Enneagram 1, although I can see it being part of many INFJs personality in various ways, so that may be another part of the picture.

I see. I'm sorry for that. Clearly I don't know how to word myself very well when it comes to just trying to hear back from some INFJs. I think it's better when I read about them (as well as other personality types). Maybe I'll just stick to reading more and not posting so much so that I don't offend anyone. I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically.

Thanks for pointing things out for me in a nice way. Sometimes I feel like I'm not really accepted here, but that's all good too! :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see. I'm sorry for that. Clearly I don't know how to word myself very well when it comes to just trying to hear back from some INFJs. I think it's better when I read about them (as well as other personality types). Maybe I'll just stick to reading more and not posting so much so that I don't offend anyone. I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically.

Thanks for pointing things out for me in a nice way. Sometimes I feel like I'm not really accepted here, but that's all good too! :)
It's not just you. The issue I tried to describe in response to your post goes on all the time - thousands of times. I've done it myself with some individual post replies and one rant thread I put in the graveyard soon after a bad relationship experience. I read in your thread sincerity because you are trying to include positive and negative information about the entire dynamic. It is stressful, overwhelming, and confusing to go through bad relationship experiences and so I completely get cutting people some slack. I don't personally think there is anything wrong with your thread title here. You are asking a legitimate question. Check out the more outright hate threads where various types are called 'evil'. I think the INTJs got the worst one of those. Your thread is not insulting like a lot of threads are, but I think it does share that confusing mixture of theory and personal experience which often leaves everyone (thread starter and readers alike) feeling like their experience, feelings, and personhood are being dismissed.

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp
Ouch. That's awful to have hate threads going on. I remember the last time I was here I was like "I'll never be friends with an INFJ again" because I was still very upset. Now that I'm not, I understand more of what people are saying and it makes a lot of sense. At the end of the day -- it's just personalities!

I think sometimes it's hard... I tend to live my life while referring back to experiences. Bad or good... I'm like those people who have a soundtrack to every event in their lives or every memory in their head. Seriously that is what I like.

I've always got a soundtrack playing.

Numbly Aware

I wanna fcken feel right
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's too bad that manipulation or anything that doesn't meet an INFJ's standards is something they find disgusting.
I'm guessing by "standard", it means a sound human being.

It's a human flaw more or less so where does that exactly leave them?
I guess it depends on what you define human as.
I don't believe children are manipulative, manipulation is something learnt.
I believe manipulation is a selfish flaw and disrespectful, not a human flaw.

I guess INFJ do like to use "facts" and details to their advantage, but idk how this fits manipulation.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.