• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Why do I have a high Ni?

StarFollowed

Stardust
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an ENFP, and I score high on Ni usually. It is my aux function after Fi. (I know I'm an ENFP despite testing Fi as my first function.)

Why is this? I don't have high Fe, so why would I have a high Ni? Or should I just consider another type? I almost always test as ENFP (and I relate to the thread on PerC "Ten Stages of a Depressed ENFP." My animal totem was a snow leopard, always comparing/relating myself to books, people and things, etc. But I occasionally test as INFP from time to time.)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe you are ISFP or ESFP?

Or pure cognitive theory isn't 100% correct after all, and it's completely possible for ENFP to have Ni. :shrug:

Or maybe the cognitive function tests suck. ;)

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd love if someone could answer that question for me too, thanks. :wink:

One guess is that when you're proficient in an extroverted function you sometimes may guess you're good at both. Being your example you claim to have Dom Ne so you'd think you'd have high Ni. So essentially you're mistaking your breadth to include depth. Which is not true. Just relax. You just feel good at Ne and descriptions are difficult to find a clear difference especially when you're newer at this.

I just think you answer yes on anything intuition related. It's a test lol.

StarFollowed

Stardust
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe you are ISFP or ESFP?

Or pure cognitive theory isn't 100% correct after all, and it's completely possible for ENFP to have Ni. :shrug:

Or maybe the cognitive function tests suck. ;)

I'm not a sensor. That I know. I think the cognitive function tests are a bit unreliable, yeah.

Another reason I'm confused is that I take a look at Celebrity Types (I know they have their own biases, but still.) and I relate to some INFJ quotes like feeling like an outsider looking in. And I relate to INFP quotes as well. But when I speak, I speak like an ENFP. I talk about how I'm a contradiction and other things. But I'm also OBSESSED with depth and symbolism and deeper meanings, especially in people/books/art in general. Some ENFPs aren't too concerned with creating symbolism in their art or writing from what I've read.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm an ENFP, and I score high on Ni usually. It is my aux function after Fi. (I know I'm an ENFP despite testing Fi as my first function.)

Why is this? I don't have high Fe, so why would I have a high Ni? Or should I just consider another type? I almost always test as ENFP (and I relate to the thread on PerC "Ten Stages of a Depressed ENFP." My animal totem was a snow leopard, always comparing/relating myself to books, people and things, etc. But I occasionally test as INFP from time to time.)

ENFP is N dominant type and therefore strong Ni scores are possible. However it is questionable if this is really true or tests simply suck regarding this issue.

I for example have fairly observable Ti scores in many cases ... and that shouldn't be the case. This is the main reason why I often think that 4 letters are better methodology since they are much more concrete.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm not a sensor. That I know. I think the cognitive function tests are a bit unreliable, yeah.

Another reason I'm confused is that I take a look at Celebrity Types (I know they have their own biases, but still.) and I relate to some INFJ quotes like feeling like an outsider looking in. And I relate to INFP quotes as well. But when I speak, I speak like an ENFP. I talk about how I'm a contradiction and other things. But I'm also OBSESSED with depth and symbolism and deeper meanings, especially in people/books/art in general. Some ENFPs aren't too concerned with creating symbolism in their art or writing from what I've read.

Though Ne isn't typically associated either depth, it still wants to know "enough" and to get to a deeper understanding of what things are. The key being though, is it is more concerned with only getting deep enough, getting the gist of something. Fi though, DOES go deep, very deep in wanting to understand. At least for me, my depth comes from my Fi influence, rather than Ne, but since the top two functions have a sort of partners in crime scenario for me (I associate with the Fi rather than the Ne subtype in Socionics for example) my depth may feel like it's tied to my Ne, but it's not. That's my Fi interacting with my Ne, searching out that depth in understanding.

Starry

This is not unheard of [MENTION=28419]StarFollowed[/MENTION]. I score near equally on Ne and Ni.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is really common for NFPs to score this way. There is no actual single, real cognitive process called Ni. Rather that represents an ego type, and many cognitive processes may show up as common patterns in people with this ego. The idea is to look at your overall identity and lens for reality, not to get stuck on particular thought processes you may engage in at times or the end result of those.

Some of what gets attributed to Ni may also be Ne and vice versa, much as it is silly to equate a focus on human value with Fe or Fi (tends to be a theme for Feeling in general, regardless of the attitude of the function). You may test high on Ni because of a general preference for iNtuition.

Add to it that even though Fi is technically rational, it can feel more exploratory and insightful, etc, and it can have a detachment from people in the moment too because it's rather abstract. So an NFP may "mimic" a Ni preference with Ne + Fi, basically.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i always do too. the tests either suck or we're bad test takers.

or...i guess we have good ni too? idk