• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Are NFs the types most likely to believe...

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am talking about beleiving in things that cannot be proven. Religion, spirituality, metaphysical, supernatural, etc. Not that you necessarily believe in all of those, but that you believe in something that cannot be proven.

I am not implying that all NFs believe, just whether they are more likely to. I think that a strong N would make someone more likely to believe. It seems like the vast majority of NTs are pretty skeptical. "I don't belive it because you can't prove it." So I was thinking maybe NFs would be more open to believe?

I am an NT but also a metaphysical gal, a "New Age type." It really puts me at odds with the majority of NTs. Sometimes I wonder if I am more like NF than NT.

Ilah

redacted

Probably. Some of the NFs I know have some pretty random beliefs. NFPs are probably the worst. And a bunch of SFPs I know have some pretty wacky beliefs as well.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't know about others but definitely not me. I need proof to be believe in something like that.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Not really. I have no religion... I find theories that can't be proven interesting and I really enjoy discussing them and thinking what it would mean if those things were true. I do not, however, believe in them neccesarily. I try to keep an open mind so I really don't subscribe to anything in particular.

I will admit I had a really crazy astrology phase. I'm really glad I did though; that lead me to all sorts of personality theories and eventually to MBTI.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hahaha, I am. :blush: Don't know whether or not I should admit that weakness. On the other hand, I am not sure whether or not that is a Carolyn fault or an ENFP fault. *shrugs*

redacted

Well, it's definitely not a fault of all NFs. But someone with that fault is probably more likely to be NF.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eh, my Faith is based on quite a bit of observation in my own life and comparing how things are with and with out trying to live in that Faith. In the end it's not blind belief that I have, but it is a deep seated one that may make some people think I'm blind.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yeah. I like that everything cannot be proven... sort of... exciting! The whole mysterious transcendent of human understanding factor! Otherwise, it's just boring.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I need proof or a personal experience for me to believe these things. I like to think that things like this are possible, but i like to leave the options open.

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
I believe some things that cannot be proven.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
I need proof to believe or have faith in something.

I do like to talk about what can't be proven though.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
We actually interviewed people with different types from around the world to find out what draws them toward spirituality, what pushes them away. A couple findings:

• ESTP, ESFP, ISTP, ISFP, ENTP, INTP aren't very common in any organized Western religious communities (Protestant, Catholic, Fundamental, Unitarial, Ba'Hai, Jewish) but for very different reasons
  • For the rest, it seemed to matter whether their early religious experiences honored their dominant function. For example if dominant Intuitives got to come up with their own insights and also hold contrary positions; if Dominant Sensing types were part of practical traditions that helped them with the here and now, if dominant Feeling types were part of places where grace instead of judgment was shown; if dominant Thinkers were allowed to question and argue (kinda rare environments...)
  • Some types don't question family traditions until they're older. Some question during adolescence or before
  • NTs who grew up without a family religion often see no need. They may study religions (a ton of INTPs had read all kinds of sacred texts more than once; ENTPs had visited all kinds of different communities or experiential stuff) but they don't make it personal unless they've come to the end of every other resource--or someone whose wisdom they trust shows them logical reasoning

Workshops on type and spirituality are a blast to lead because people fall out of their chairs when they see what other types consider spiritual/sacred/meaningful/prayerful/whatever you want to name it.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I am talking about beleiving in things that cannot be proven. Religion, spirituality, metaphysical, supernatural, etc. Not that you necessarily believe in all of those, but that you believe in something that cannot be proven.
I'm not an NF, but I think the examples are somewhat loaded. I think many of those things can be proven, but they use a different standard of proof than some might be used to. For example since religion has a moral component, then proof of valid religion or spirituality would be if a person's character was changed in a way that the religion teaches.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Probably, but I don't think I am. One of my friends definitely is the classic paranoid ENFJ.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm not an NF, but I think the examples are somewhat loaded. I think many of those things can be proven, but they use a different standard of proof than some might be used to. For example since religion has a moral component, then proof of valid religion or spirituality would be if a person's character was changed in a way that the religion teaches.

That'd be true if people actually did what the religion was asking them to rather than pick and choose their favorite parts. As Chesterton put it, "The trouble with Christianity isn't that it's been tried and found wanting; it's that it hasn't been tried..." (I mighta messed up a couple words;see my avatar...)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
  • For the rest, it seemed to matter whether their early religious experiences honored their dominant function. For example if dominant Intuitives got to come up with their own insights and also hold contrary positions; if Dominant Sensing types were part of practical traditions that helped them with the here and now, if dominant Feeling types were part of places where grace instead of judgment was shown; if dominant Thinkers were allowed to question and argue (kinda rare environments...)
Interesting.

I was forced to go to church every Sunday until I was in 2nd grade (or perhaps even before that), when I vehemently refused to go, due to all the Jesus this, Jesus that, worshiping. (It gave me the hardcore heebeejeebies). At the same time, I was concurrently attending a (reform) Jewish elementary school where bible studies and temple were mandatory, and I loved bible studies, it was fun, and we were encouraged to ask questions and interpret multiple meanings. Although I am an atheist, I appreciate(d) Judaism, and the Jewish tradition FAR MORE than Christianity and the "Christian way". I have never met a dogmatic Jew, (though I am sure they exist), and yet I have met far more dogmatic Christians than I have met non-dogmatic ones.

Being a dominant intuitive means that I definitely have the tendency to have and believe hunches about things that are yet to be proven. (Um, isn't that a given :huh:).

I trust myself (my intuition and my ability to reason), and have trusted myself far more than I have ever trusted any or most "authority" figures.

I have zany theories, but a lot of them have panned out.

(shrugs)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
That'd be true if people actually did what the religion was asking them to rather than pick and choose their favorite parts. As Chesterton put it, "The trouble with Christianity isn't that it's been tried and found wanting; it's that it hasn't been tried..." (I mighta messed up a couple words;see my avatar...)

Heh, this is a valid point. Still I have met plenty of people who were both sincere and have had life altering experiences because of faith/religion. Although I believe that there are considerably more people out there who either miss the point or are just going through the motions.

sade

• Some types don't question family traditions until they're older. Some question during adolescence or before.

Interesting..

I don't believe in things that can't be proven, and not really in Christianity despite still being part of the chruch. All my religion teachers always called me an atheist, and I did come to my believes when I was 10 years old, which I later found out to be sort of existentialism. I don't know if something beyond exists, but I need proof.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i believe so and just because you're an NF and you don't, it doesn't matter because we're talking about the bigger picture. i have read that NT's are the temperament least likely to believe in a higher power. may be the lack of proof to some that causes this. SP's believe in the here and now, so the question may not be that interesting to them. not as much anyways. SJ's are norm reinforcers, and i've known SJ's that reinforce their own religion significantly. they need to be in an environment that fosters the religion though of course. as an NF, i can see how our romanticism can develop a tendency to believe in a god etc. we do like to conceptualize, but we are less harsh than NT's. these things put together can make us more religious. ENFJ's are the group most likely to believe in a higher power btw. that's more than coincidence.

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
I don´t believe that only things exist which can be proven. ;)