• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do You Find it Difficult to Describe Someone When Asked?

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I have a certain synesthesia, and that really seems to come out in trying to describe people. Most people don't care about whether or not someone one was a fresh and majestic as a waterfall of diamonds, and their memory lingers like music, and they they were as fresh and brisk as peppermint. I find myself describing people with descriptors heavy with metaphors and similes . Plus I have similar problems with what has already been listed by others... The outside of a person tends to make less of an impact on me as what I feel from them while experiencing them. One of my closest childhood friends...we've drifted apart over the years often gets very frustrated at me, so does my dad. Why can't I just simply answer the question? Well I am, as best as I can.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Yes, the particular nuances that make up who a person is are very difficult to put into words.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I have difficulty describing anything, really. Unless of course I have time to think about it first, and even then my verbal communication abilities are god-awful compared to my written abilities.

I also don't have a strong mind's eye or collection of concrete details in memory. I'm also terrible at remembering faces, names, what people were wearing, etc. This makes for a "fun" and oftentimes embarrassing dynamic at work. I'm constantly forgetting what clients look like, not remembering their names or other important details.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel uncomfortable when someone asks me to describe someone else - especially when the person is known to both because there is a very fine line over to gossip. I don't like speaking of known people when they aren't present. I usually try to zero in on the purpose of it and answer that specific question with as positive an answer as is truthful.

It might make for an interesting endeavor to actually just try to describe someone. I can try to translate my literal mind here to represent my impressions of people, and there is more feeling of openness to do it here where the described people are unknown.

"Pale blue and light like the sky, but with inexplicable strikes of lightening that burn. There is a peaceful calm on the surface, but an undercurrent of anger that seeps through roughly. There is a feeling of openness to possibility, but a choking constriction of control. I feel deep, turbulant anxiety that I'm obligated to dismiss, but it persists. Words and intentions dart around quickly like shadows from an ever shifting spotlight. There is connection and not connection, mystery and sadness, and finally a need to exit."

"Piercing eyes in a mellow frame of dark purple. Conscientious focus, ordered, negotiated, but never resolved. Flying past and looking aside, frustration with absurdity, but striving, soaring always towards peace. Disappointment, unending repetition, structures fallen and built again. A dull ache that never ends, and why? What is amiss? Having tried and tried."

"Cool and composed like a china doll looking for a new direction. Sweetly adorned, empty, alone, disappointed and bored. Strategist of sensation with ease to determine a new source of excitement. Easier done than said."

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have difficulty describing anything, really. Unless of course I have time to think about it first, and even then my verbal communication abilities are god-awful compared to my written abilities.

I also don't have a strong mind's eye or collection of concrete details in memory. I'm also terrible at remembering faces, names, what people were wearing, etc. This makes for a "fun" and oftentimes embarrassing dynamic at work. I'm constantly forgetting what clients look like, not remembering their names or other important details.

Jesus yes. This, and worse.

julesiscools

MBTI Type
ISFP
Eh, it's more like having this idea of someone, like being able to see their soul, who they are beyond the superficial, but not being able to translate that to others. I could just say simple descriptors to describe them like oh, they're nice, but I always feel I'm doing a disservice to them by not accurately describing the entirety of who they are and what they're all about.

But I like that, I guess you can say it is somewhat like not wanting to attach a simplistic view to them, some robotic criteria :)

I relate to this in that, I can describe someone, but I always feel that it's lack luster or doing them a disservice. I pretty much always end up finishing with, "You'll understand when you meet them," or, "You'll see when you meet them."

KitchenFly

No not really at least in my own head. I tend to talk about the things I think people will recognise with out causing shock, but often what I may say to an other is not what I may think in my own mind for my own understanding of the other.

I tend to think in a far to complex way for almost all people.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i most often have trouble describing someone when the person already knows them (or is likely to meet them)... i don't like coloring the perceptions of others with my (often less than tactful) views... i do my best to say nice things, but sometimes my phrasing isn't as kind as my thoughts of the person... there are however parts of how i see people that are difficult to describe... these are most often tied to what i think of as a person's "core"... that part of the person that is "operating the levers" and playing the role we see acted out... so, i don't fully know what you mean, but there is a link perhaps between this aspect and what you are describing...

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Yeah. I just wanted to describe it themselves. See it themselves.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am not the best person at describing other people... I have gotten better over the years but not my strong suit. I suppose because of the way my brain is wired. I worry that I may something insensitive out them without meaning to. It often trips me up. What I say comes out sounding very minimal and not very descriptive.

I want to give the other person a full picture but it's just something that trips me up. Or this may not cross my mind if I'm being asked to describe someone out of the blue.I know what they're like but I'm terrible at putting it into words. I have to be around them for a long period of time and know them well in order to properly describe them. Otherwise, I'm just being put on the spot.