• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Turning off your auxiliary function

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
There was an article on Funky Fiction posted lately where she talks about turning off her auxiliary function (Fi). I found this interesting that a feeler would be able to turn off their feeling function. Are INFJ and ENFPs able to do this? I don't think I am able to turn off my feelings so I wonder if that is something that INFP and ENFJs are not able to do? Thoughts and experiences?

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never heard of this phenomenon, I don't think this has ever happened to me.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've never heard of this phenomenon, I don't think this has ever happened to me.

I didn't think it was a thing either but I was wondering if others had experienced it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
They may be able to fake it but I don't believe they actually can.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds dumb.

Link?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Usually attempts at turning off part of yourself is a reaction to some kind of stress. Survival instinct. Sometimes useful, sometimes not. I don't think it's really a conscious decision, nor do I believe it could be broken up so cleanly as deactivating a particular function.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Usually attempts at turning off part of yourself is a reaction to some kind of stress. Survival instinct. Sometimes useful, sometimes not. I don't think it's really a conscious decision, nor do I believe it could be broken up so cleanly as deactivating a particular function.

I was about to post then I saw your comment. But yes, I've gone a time where I essentially cut off my Fi, and that was directly tied to a highly stressful and emotional situation I was in. Over time, my other functions began to shut off like some failing body, and pretty soon I was almost exclusively living out of Te/Si. It was really, really gross. But on a normal, day-to-day, no, I don't think it's possible. I feel it's definitely something that is forced upon you, to then respond and try to adapt to the situation, by cutting off your feeling function. The brain is so very plastic, really, you can adapt to nearly any situation thrown at you...even if that new version of you isn't sustainable.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
eh, i dont really trust that girl. she once told me that if i could go to see a movie with my friends that if my friends said they hated it, if i could still like it that i can't be an isfj. ever since then i take everything she says with a (large) grain of salt.

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ugh, if I did that to my Te, I would surely suffer. Ni-Fi loops are not fun.

Hank

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Like, consciously turning off your aux function? Nah. I can't shut off Fi if I want to. There are times when using Te is more appropriate for a situation than using Fi, but that's more because I can't throw feelings at a math problem and expect anything to happen. I don't cease to use Fi, but it's less useful in solving particular problems in life. Or is that the sort of situation you're referring to?

Ne-Te loops are a whole nother matter, but even then, it's still an unconscious shift (at least in my experience.)

Silent

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I'm under high stress right now and can't shut off mine, but would desperately love to. If any one can figure out how to, please let me know.:(

á´…eparted

passages
I don't really shut Ni off? I guess the only time I would is in situations where Se would function so much better, but even then it just sort of powers down slightly since it's not as quick or based in the external world.

Regardless, if I am a pure FeSe person I am a BEAR to deal with (either by being an annoying obnoxious/annoying ball of energy, or just an utter asshole), so it's generally not a good thing, despite it being the best thing ever at the time.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm under high stress right now and can't shut off mine, but would desperately love to. If any one can figure out how to, please let me know.:(

Use your Se, that actually helps you get out of stress. A Fi-Ni loop is hell.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I can turn of tertiary and especially inferior. However never aux. My Te and Ni are so nicely glued togather that there is no way to determine where one starts and the other one ends.