• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] are you impulsive?

joealienprince

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
over time I've heard many adjectives used to describe NFs fundamentally, and one I hear at a somewhat lower frequency than others (creative, spontaneous, kind-hearted, etc.) is impulsive
it always sticks out for me though
I've known that I was impulsive since about 8th or 9th grade, and honestly it might just be a personal case, but it seems to become a more prominent character trait throughout the years
now I'm still a teenager technically, so this might be a phase, but I just biked home from a friend's house about 6 miles away at 4 am, and it got me thinking
would anyone else describe themsel(f)(ves) as impulsive? I've always been interested in how others control themselves and their impulses. discuss!

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
In my youth I was a bit impulsive but now as an adult I am more cautious. Maybe it has something to do with the development of Si for INFPs in adulthood.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
over time I've heard many adjectives used to describe NFs fundamentally, and one I hear at a somewhat lower frequency than others (creative, spontaneous, kind-hearted, etc.) is impulsive
I've known that I was impulsive since about 8th or 9th grade, and honestly it might just be a personal case, but it seems to become a more prominent character trait throughout the years
now I'm still a teenager technically, so this might be a phase, but I just biked home from a friend's house about 6 miles away at 4 am, and it got me thinking
would anyone else describe themsel(f)(ves) as impulsive? I've always been interested in how others control themselves and their impulses. discuss!

Impulsive in what way though? Usually that's more of an sp thing I would think if you're thinking what I'm thinking.

joealienprince

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Impulsive in what way though?

idk I think I might mean more in a spontaneous way. I'm like impulsive and cautious at the same time, because I worry so much but I also want to be crazy and spontaneous sometimes

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
idk I think I might mean more in a spontaneous way. I'm like impulsive and cautious at the same time, because I worry so much but I also want to be crazy and spontaneous sometimes
And what is meant by spontaneous?

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It could be an age thing. Not that all teenagers or early 20-something year olds are always spontaneous and impulsive beings, but it does taper off after a while and then you mellow out as you grow older.

Numbly Aware

I wanna fcken feel right
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am very impulsive.... It usually goes like, "Ahhh, what the hell?"
Then the repercussions come in...... maybe it wasn't... NOPE, I already knew, dammit. :bored:

But, when I piss people off, sometimes I didn't realize it, or sometimes I didn't read all the "details". oopsa
Maybe that's why raw honesty is my love language... :blush:
Correct me if I'm wrong! I didn't know! :wubbie:
Hmm, freedom of expression is what I crave. :rly???:

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
sometimes i choose to be...

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Usually no, I can be though.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Most people see me as brutally deliberate.

I basically suck everything into some kind of structures or plans and I am natural coordinator. Therefore I never rush impulsively into situation. (I have test scores where I am 100% J)

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I can be but only when I plan it.

Seriously though... it depends. I am impulsive in the way how I decide - in spur of the moment - to try something new but when I see in my head how it will end up, I decide not to do it cause I've kinda experienced it already. So I am and am not.

Sorry.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESI (ISFj in Socionics and either ISFP or ISFJ in M/B typology) is, as far as I know, regarded as the most impulsive of all the Sociotypes. As an EIE (ENFj in Socionics and ENFJ in M/B typology), I am definitely not impulsive. Quite the contrary. I am a plotter and a planner. I make decisions very slowly and only after careful deliberation. Then I act on those decisions with a definite plan based upon a throughly-considered long-term strategy. I would say that impulsivity, generally speaking, is not a typical feature of NF types.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I'm very calculated. I've actualy been called unspontaneous.

I would rather associatie being spontaneous with P types than NFs.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, i reason and weigh my wants

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm very calculated. I've actualy been called unspontaneous.

I would rather associatie being spontaneous with P types than NFs.

I am spontaneous, not impulsive. My change is reasoned for a bit, then i jump. Not really an impulse, i listen to my reasoning. I may seem impulsive though

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Eh, I tread a fissure crack between the lines of reckless impulsivity and acquired information in service of a longer aim.

But I may have other issues that contribute to this, largely to do with rapidly changing moods.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Realizing the thread was intended for NF types I still found the question interesting enough to respond to.

Typically ENTPs are seen as impulsive ( this seems a common thread in ExxP types) and I don't think I'm any exception. When I was younger I was incredibly impulsive and definitely not risk averse.

Over the years and well into my thirties now I've become somewhat more tempered but the impulsive urges are still ever present.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sort of. But I try my hardest to hold back. On the other hand, one defining trait that people describe me as is "calculcated".