• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] are you impulsive?

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
But I may have other issues that contribute to this, largely to do with rapidly changing moods.

Yeah me too. My moods change as fast as the weather, and often with the weather. Getting worse with growing older (37).

(I have test scores where I am 100% J)

Impressive. I only score about 60% J and I'd like to tone it down a little.

I've said many times I want to be more laid back like P types. But my shrink says that's not gonna happen ;) He also reminded me that being more laid back or too laid back comes with its own catalogue of issues.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Impressive. I only score about 60% J and I'd like to tone it down a little.

I've said many times I want to be more laid back like P types. But my shrink says that's not gonna happen ;) He also reminded me that being more laid back or too laid back comes with its own catalogue of issues.

Impressive ? More like awkward. :D

I am often silent just so that people don't get the feeling how "determined" I can be.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Impressive ? More like awkward. :D

I am often silent just so that people don't get the feeling how "determined" I can be.

Yeah, impressive sounded less offensive ;)

I have an ENTJ boss. He never shuts up. Ever. But I respect him deeply (and vice versa, we have a great symbiosis). He's always right. A tad bit judgemental sometimes. (We work in construction btw, me as ICT manager and he's basically general manager, and a damn good one ...you work in construction too ? given your avatar). Every company should have at least 1 ENTJ & 1 INFJ & you're golden.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yeah, impressive sounded less offensive ;)

I have an ENTJ boss. He never shuts up. Ever. But I respect him deeply (and vice versa, we have a great symbiosis). He's always right. A tad bit judgemental sometimes. (We work in construction btw, me as ICT manager and he's basically general manager, and a damn good one ...you work in construction too ? given your avatar)

The only thing I will say is that I am in freelancer/adventurer, private business owner waters. But yeah I have the tendency to piss off people, come as too hard or too wordy, people accuse me that I turn everything into "debates" ... while I think that my environment is just too "random". (however most of foreigners actually agrees with me)

My avatar is more like "I build my future". :)

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I make decisions based on my emotions and tend to make decisions on a whim. To others this may seem impulsive since I'm not making calculated decisions but my emotions are stable most the time so I feel my "impulses" are also predictable if you know me well enough.

á´…eparted

passages
Nope. I was when I was a kid because I was a ball of energy, but now I know how.

Except when I am drunk, THEN I am super impulsive.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
The only thing I will say is that I am in freelancer/adventurer, private business owner waters. But yeah I have the tendency to piss off people, come as too hard or too wordy, people accuse me that I turn everything into "debates" ... while I think that my environment is just too "random". (however most of foreigners actually agrees with me)

Yeah, my boss also has that tendency to turn everything into debates, and being blunt ;)
I've met another ENTJ a while ago on a holiday. We even discussed MBTI as that turned out to be a mutual interest. He also did freelance kind of projects, whenever it suited him. He would work very hard on a project for months and than do nothing for a few weeks straight. I kind of admire that renegade mentality (in the sense of being independant).

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Yeah me too. My moods change as fast as the weather, and often with the weather. Getting worse with growing older (37).

Do you find it makes you somewhat apprehensive in undergoing more dramatic changes and movements in life?

For example, with me I find that the threat of uncertain mood creates a reluctance to commit. Probably a very common issue, but I find I fear my reactions from those moods and the influence of them which can make me overly controlled and rigid.

I've been working on freeing myself from this imposed constraint I've put on myself and allowing a broader spectrum of information and possibility to flow.

It's slow going, but I feel it's worth it.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Do you find it makes you somewhat apprehensive in undergoing more dramatic changes and movements in life?

I think so yes.

Probably a very common issue, but I find I fear my reactions from those moods and the influence of them which can make me overly controlled and rigid

Well, perhaps with good reason. I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I think it's actually a good idea to try and control my reactions, when in a bad mood, cause otherwise I'd be burning bridges all the time or making rash decisions. Things I'd regret later on. Overall I like control and I don't like change anyway.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Well, perhaps with good reason. I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I think it's actually a good idea to try and control my reactions, when in a bad mood, cause otherwise I'd be burning bridges all the time or making rash decisions. Things I'd regret later on. Overall I like control and I don't like change anyway.

Well I'm just of the opinion that most of my problems are self imposed and due to not managing my expectations. Following on from this it feels to me that the best solution is to learn how to manage those expectations and diffuse what feels like an inherent anxiety within myself.

This also in part has to do with letting go of a certain degree of control and accepting what i can and cannot control. And from this I attempt to reach a more realistic point of self - management and not expect more than is reasonable from myself.

Thus preventing self flagellation and excessively destructive perfectionism. Therefore I will no longer need to fear my emotions as I will have a better means of understanding and managing them.

Of course this is also part of a larger tapestry of human experience and the truth is that learning never ends.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Well I'm just of the opinion that most of my problems are self imposed and due to not managing my expectations.

Yeah, that's a realization I've had as well. Took me years to realize. Used to blame stuff on others. Blame others for not being the control freak I am. But eventually it took its toll on me and now I consciously try to tone down the expectations.
I share your sentiments.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wouldn't say I am generally an impulsive person. I've had impulsive moments but it definitely is not a defining trait. I guess when I have tried proving that I don't need help with things and gain my independence, I've had more moments. I think things through and am generally cautious. I am a big worrier over the danger component. If I am unsure of something, I usually don't jump into it or dip my toe in the water before getting used to it. When under stress, this gets less so and I get more impulsive.

Impulsive? Not nearly as much as when I was a teenager. But then that’s a trait of a lot of teenagers.

I am impatient. Which can lead to impulsiveness as a response.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My mom calls me the most well planned directionless person she's ever met.

by that she means I make 10 year plans off a whim before making a 10 year plan off my new whim I get in 2 months.

Yes.

Jaguar

If someone is being threatened, all you'll see is dust in the air where I once stood. But other than that, not really. I'm far more strategic than impulsive.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ixa- "thinks through everything before leaping, cautious as hell, can write you a handbook of why he decided yes or no for something" -erus

Nah.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can be, depends on my mood.

Wait...

That probably means yes. So yes.

I do like being strategic too, though. A nice mix of both keeps life interesting. :yes:

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You mean, as in doing stuff or making purchases?
No. I don't decide suddenly to do something and then set off on a whim. Neither do I shop like that.
Whenever I shop, I set money aside for odds and ends. I don't always know what I want or need (unexpected medicine etc.). Once that money's gone, it's gone.
I'm too lazy to be spontaneous. I like the rut I've dug for myself quite a lot, thank you very much :D

BUT, in my day to day, I am far from scheduled. In that way, I guess I am spontaneous or impulsive. If I want to play a game, I will. If I'm hungry, I'll graze on whatever snacks I have or venture out into the world to buy food. By and large, I do what I want, when I want and freely travel within my 3-5 mile comfort zone as needed.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I'm not a very impulsive person by traditional definitions. I do tend to go about my day in a manner which allows me to do things on a whim, and I can be emotionally impulsive which is a super attractive trait. :happy2: