• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] what, if anything, would change your mind in this case?

CocoLoco

MBTI Type
INFP
Hi all! I'm new here and I'm glad I found this forum.

Let me preface this by saying I can be stubbornly stubborn when I really want something to happen, despite the odds.

I (24) am an INFP and had been friends with an ENFJ (23) for about 3 months last year before we dated for 2 months. She basically initiated the friendship because she was romantically interested in me at the time, and things went great for a while. At least that's how I see it.
We went out only twice before she decided it was best that we stay friends because "It's just not there. She's not feeling it" and "she didn't want to lead me on and play with my feelings." I was surprised. Mainly because I was just starting to fall for her. She was moving too fast for me, and this statement accurately describes the whole of our time together. Despite my wanting to date her more, I agreed to staying friends and we became closer friends than before we dated. Things went blissfully well until about two months later when I revealed to her on the phone that it doesn't look like I'll stop thinking of her as more than a friend.

Since that conversation, she began to slowly distance herself from me. We gradually sent less text messages. we became like acquaintances. From what I observed, she didn't want to be friends anymore, I guessed because she wanted to make it easier for me to let of my romantic ideas of her. Then there was complete silence over Christmas break but at the beginning of the next semester, (I should mention that we attend the same school) I decided I would fight for our friendship so I began to initiate conversations both in person and text messages, but she was somewhat dismissive. She wasn't cold, she would respond but it seemed like I was somewhat of a bother to her.

At this point, I was trying to revive our friendship despite my feelings for her. But I didn't want to be disrespectful of her decision to distance herself from me so I decided to let things be. I wrote her a letter of apology explaining that tit takes me sometime to get accustomed to new situations and that when I told her what I did on the phone, I was still trying let go of my hopes of being with her (I really was). I apologized because it was because of me that she made the hard choice to distance herself from. I also said, and this is important, that I missed her and her friendship a lot but I was not expecting to return to that. I said that because I didn't want to disrespect her need for space. I still wanted to be friends.

Again, there was silence for a few weeks until the next time she saw me which was at a place that she volunteers. I sometimes dropped by to help because they really need all the help they can get and I like to help. When she saw me, she had a look of surprise and she smiled at me for a second. We didn't get the chance to have a conversation face to face because I had to leave early. But we chatted for a little bit over text, but I couldn't have a long conversation because I was busy that night. This was a relief to me! I was unsure of what reaction to seeing me would be, so this meant that there was a chance that we could patch things up. I was wrong. so wrong. Literally the next day she became cold. short text replies, no desire to invest in a conversation face to face, etc. Needless to say this baffled me. But I continued trying to patch things up. I though it would help to state my intentions clearly so I got her a bunch of flowers (not roses) and a card with a poem about my hopes for renewing the friendship. I kept this until I thought if this was the right action to take.

So the next day, I sent her a text asking if we could hang out for a bit, she didn't reply until late at night because she was out of away somewhere and mentioned it would be the same for the next couple of days. (it was also exam week, so I guess that was a stressful time for me to pick). Then her tone changed and said she didn't feel like there was anything for us to chat about and if I needed to ask her something specifically, I should text her. So I began typing up what I was going to say to her if we had met earlier that day and just as I was sending it, I received a message from her basically saying that she was starting to feel uncomfortable because she felt I was still trying to pursue her when she had made her intentions clear. She told me she needed space. She also mentioned what I said in my last letter that I was not expecting us to return to being friends and she feels the need to hold me to that right now.

My message to her and hers to mine were sent basically at the same time, so I felt the need to clear up the confusion about my intentions and replied in a message stating exactly that. I told her I would respect her need for space - And did the exact opposite thing the next morning. I still had the flowers and the card, and somehow I reasoned that after clearing up my intentions of not pursuing her romantically anymore, it would help to still give her flowers and the poem about renewing our friendship. so i left them by her door.
that night, I got a message from her telling me that it was over. She would no longer respond to my messages nor answer a phone call from me, because I disrespected her request for space.
I didn't respond. And we have not spoken since. It's been a month now, and we haven't seen each other since. I have been intentionally avoiding her, not because I hate her or anything, but because I don't want to see her uncomfortable because of my presence.
My question is, If you were in her shoes how likely are you to reconsider patching things up? we never had anything negative to say about each other. In fact we both respect each other as persons. The only conflict is that she thinks I was using our friendship to try and date her again. So what would you do?

In the next few days there is an event were we both have to attend. How should I act? should I avoid her then, or try and feel what her mood is? or should I just completely let go and not wait for her at all?
If there was anything that would change your mind in this situation, anything at all, what would it be?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You sound desperate for her.

I don't care if you're saying you want to be just friends with her. I think you do know you want to be more than friends but you want to convince her. I say let her be. Don't avoid her, just walk by her if she happens to be in your way.

You're starting to sound creepy and the worse thing you can get is a restraining order if you don't put an end to it. Just forget about her. Please.

I know the feelings can be tough but you did what you could, and if you try to push the envelope you're going to mess up everything. Just let it go.

CocoLoco

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks for your response. But you're wrong about my having ulterior motives.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for your response. But you're wrong about my having ulterior motives.

ENFJs really value interpersonal boundaries, and you inadvertently crossed hers, one too many times. If you were considered one of her "closest friends", then there might have been a little more leeway. However, it seemed like you liked her WAY MORE than she liked you.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I received a message from her basically saying that she was starting to feel uncomfortable because she felt I was still trying to pursue her when she had made her intentions clear. She told me she needed space.

She is uncomfortable, she made her intentions clear and you still went after her. No means no. Don't contact her. If she is at an event you need to be at, ignore her. Let it go.

CocoLoco

MBTI Type
INFP
ENFJs really value interpersonal boundaries, and you inadvertently crossed hers, one too many times. If you were considered one of her "closest friends", then there might have been a little more leeway. However, it seemed like you liked her WAY MORE than she liked you.
Yes, I did like her more than she did me. I guess it was harder for me to let go since I'm not the social butterfly that she is. Another question though, we were in the same room today and she started to talk to her friend about some guy that she's interested in. Is it likely that she was indirectly sending me a message (since we're not on speaking terms) that her decision is concrete and having me as a friend could potentially damage her prospective relationship? After thinking about it, I'm totally okay with that and I'm a little happy for this step in her life. It means that this episode of my life is over and I don't have to stress about it anymore.

CocoLoco

MBTI Type
INFP
She is uncomfortable, she made her intentions clear and you still went after her. No means no. Don't contact her. If she is at an event you need to be at, ignore her. Let it go.
thanks. no plans to contact ever again

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I did like her more than she did me. I guess it was harder for me to let go since I'm not the social butterfly that she is. Another question though, we were in the same room today and she started to talk to her friend about some guy that she's interested in. Is it likely that she was indirectly sending me a message (since we're not on speaking terms) that her decision is concrete and having me as a friend could potentially damage her prospective relationship? After thinking about it, I'm totally okay with that and I'm a little happy for this step in her life. It means that this episode of my life is over and I don't have to stress about it anymore.

The fact that you gave her flowers and a poem the morning after you said you would give her space was the nail on the coffin. Even if it was supposed to be a nice gesture, that would unnerve me. Those items typically symbolize a romantic advance (according to social norms) regardless of intention. Your social missteps could be construed as coming off "too strong" and potentially "creepy". So, unless you and I were really good friends, I would probably shut you out of my life even without any potential romantic interest. It's one of those "live and learn" moments.

CocoLoco

MBTI Type
INFP
The fact that you gave her flowers and a poem the morning after you said you would give her space was the nail on the coffin. Even if it was supposed to be a nice gesture, that would unnerve me. Those items typically symbolize a romantic advance (to social norms) regardless of intention. Your social missteps could be construed as coming off "too strong" and potentially "creepy". So, unless you and I were really good friends, I would probably shut you out of my life even without any potential romantic interest. It's one of those "live and learn" moments.
I see that now. I'm not the best at picking up some social cues. I should probably have made a post like this looking for advice before I did anything, I guess. It's like you said, live and learn

PotatoPeeler68

MBTI Type
INFP
WOW. Are you my secret twin or a clone?! I can relate to this almost in full, because I was/am in love with a girl and she just wanted to be friends. Here's my situation:

So, we've (my ENFJ friend girl and I) been acquaintances that slowly grew to friendship throughout the past two years or so. We grew a deep friendship that even had her thinking if she could possibly like me. We exchanged many notes (real emotional intimacy) and have become good friends, but it is still clear at this time that she wants to be "just friends". But that was just fine with me, because a friendship might be best right now.

But, being stubborn, I pushed on with more "romantic" notes (similar to your flowers and card) and she felt that they were love notes. (well, they were) and she didn't feel comfortable receiving those. She said, she will no longer accept those. But since then, we've patched things up...you're probably wondering "how?"

Let me tell you: I just accepted it. I mean can't you stay just friends a little longer??? My advice is to stay friends, show the "FUN" side of your life and that when your ENFJ girl is with you, things are a whole lot better. After being fun and friendly (never stop being those, btw), start to have deeper convos and she will be willing to listen at this point. Bring up the subject of what happened, and ask how exactly she felt, and also how you feel. That's about where I am in my relationship life right now, so I can't go beyond that. But there still might be a chance to save the friendship and even possibly a long-term relationship.

PotatoPeeler68

MBTI Type
INFP
ALright, one more thing.

If your ENFJ friend girl is really moving on to someone else, I, as an INFP, agree with your decision to be happy for her.

All that really matters is that she is happy, and then you should be happy.
Ecclesiastes 7:8 says "Better is the end of a thing than the begging thereof..." and this will help your life in the long run and will help you grow.:)

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
I though it would help to state my intentions clearly so I got her a bunch of flowers (not roses) and a card with a poem about my hopes for renewing the friendship. I kept this until I thought if this was the right action to take.

I told her I would respect her need for space - And did the exact opposite thing the next morning. I still had the flowers and the card, and somehow I reasoned that after clearing up my intentions of not pursuing her romantically anymore, it would help to still give her flowers and the poem about renewing our friendship. so i left them by her door.
Were the flowers wilted?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Forget type at all.

Let's look at the situation. She meets you. She pursues a friendship because she likes you. She eventually decides to date you, but soon decide not to pursue.

Now here is the important part: women end relationships for a variety of reasons. Here are a few:

1, she liked the superficial you, but something bothered her about you and she felt it was better to end it early.

2, she was scared.

3, She wasn't ready for a stronger and deeper relationship.

4, you were too smoothering,

And many more. Once she decided this, whatever the reason, you should have let it go. Not be friends, not try to convince her otherwise.

"Just be friends" is usually a lie, especially for younger folks.

It sucks, but it is what is.

Even if she acted out of some irrational fear or psychological issue, you need to respect it. Because no matter what, it is better for you not to pursue the relationship. It is not healthy for you.

I was one who was involved with a ISFP who tried to break off the relationship. I was able to convince her multiple times to resume. That was a mistake, because no matter the attraction, no matter the compatibility, no matter the feelings, all it did was lead to problems later. Now 21 years later, I am in a marriage that can provide deep joy and love, but is often if not usually full of great pain and suffering for me. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.....

So, let go. For your own happiness.

Just a little on type: Fi is very appealling and attractive for Fe, as I am well aware. But Fi dom is going to be difficult for an ENFJ. No matter the draw of Fi, you do not want that struggle and pain. Move on.....

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
Alright, I had a situation like this in my life as well, though it was slightly different. My fiance and I were in college together and after he graduated he left to go East, which is where we decided to eventually move to, so that he could find a job and a house for us to live in. I had one semester left so I stayed and completed that semester. During that time, I met another artist (I studied art), and before long was quite smitten with him. Eventually, we slept together - yes, when I was very young I cheated on my fiance. Once. But I told him about it, I didn't lie. Anyway, this was all taking place with the understanding that I was going to move East to be with my fiance, and that though we liked each other and enjoyed everything we did together, I wasn't going to stay there with him. He knew the entire time that I was not going to be available as anything other than a sex partner and good friend, and that after that was over, I probably wouldn't see him again. I made that very clear, and he agreed to my terms.

So, when the semester ended, we said our good-byes and I left. He wrote to me, and I wrote back, but gave him no indication of wanting to see him again. I was in love with my fiance and wasn't going to either cheat on him or leave him. Finally I wrote to him and told him that we couldn't correspond, because I felt that what we had done was a violation of the trust my fiance had in me and to continue to keep even a friendship with the man with whom I cheated, wasn't very moral.

Finally, he stopped writing to me and I thought that was the end of it. But wait, there's more...

I found out a lot of things in the years after that encounter which I won't go into here, but basically, I guess he was very angry at me for leaving (even though we had an agreement) and did some things which made me so sick I couldn't even be happy with any of the memories of my past (he was around me when I didn't even know it, like a stalker, like that Sting song.) He had absolutely no right to be angry or even hurt by my leaving.

So, my advice to you is to let her go, let it go. Or something you don't want to happen, might.

Jaguar

Respect her request to be left alone. It's that simple. There's other fish in the sea.