• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP or NF's Communicate Better 1) In Head 2) Writing 3) In Person ?

Mole

Permabanned
[MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION]! Glad to see you joined the conversation.

I agree regarding the dynamics of expressing things to people face to face and how beneficial that can be. For instance, I find that (although sometimes initially 'scary') if I have an issue with someone it is far better to go directly to them and discuss it then to gripe or talk behind that person's back. Often, we both find there is more to the matter than we thought and end up with a better quality relationship.

That is fascinating re: children being treated with telephone use. It does seem intrinsic - this form of communication - with children. If you give a toddler a telephone in play or even a toy plastic banana (laughs) they will often immediately put it to their ear and conduct a conversation with an imaginary partner on the other end :)

At the Antique Market last Sunday I picked up an antique phone, held it out to the owner, and said, "It's for you". He took the phone as if to answer it, although we both knew there was no one on the line. The habit of spontaneous reciprocity seems ingrained in us by the telephone, even when we know there is no one there.

Thank you for your welcome.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
At the Antique Market last Sunday I picked up an antique phone, held it out to the owner, and said, "It's for you". He took the phone as if to answer it, although we both knew there was no one on the line. The habit of spontaneous reciprocity seems ingrained in us by the telephone, even when we know there is no one there.

Thank you for your welcome.

A nice vignette I can imagine. It illustrates the point nicely.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I need to just get to the point, oral communication is definitely better. In writing, I'm tempted to keep elaborating, and elaborating...and elaborating, to the point where I've probably given more information than necessary and even gotten off-topic in places. In person, people don't have the patience to listen to that and it forces me to be more concise with my words.

However, if I need to explain something in an elaborate way, writing is preferable. I have trouble organizing ideas in my head but can do it more easily when I have them on paper.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my head....which is why on first thought, telepathy seems ideal. But not with people, just devices. The electronic device somehow picks up a transmission from your brain and types it all out. Although my walls of text may suggest otherwise, I hate typing. Worse than that is talking on the phone ( *shudders in horror* ). This makes texting a tolerated evil. Talking in person is fine but people seem less willing to get all philosophical and analytical in person. I enjoy the time delay and ability to edit that written communication affords. I think I come across less stupid that way.

The problem with telepathy is you would need some kind firewall to protect just anybody from accessing your brain. Identify theft could go beyond your government IDs and become theft of your psychological identity :horror:. Probably not a good idea....but way better than talking into a device and being overheard....embarrassing! So then....writing it is, via typing, as there is less potnetial for identity theft or embarrassment plus the added benefit of time delay and editing it easily.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Writing but I make a better impact through person. In head doesn't kick in much until I'm writing.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would guess that any F dom is going to do better in person. If, as is supposed, 70% of all communication is non-verbal, and if Fe is the primary, cognitive function for "picking up" on non-verbal (F-type) communication, then I'd think in person communication would work better for INFJ just as it does for ENFJ.