• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] What Are Your Coping Strategies For When You are Misunderstood

Litsnob

So, you're an INFJ and chances are you are often misunderstood. Maybe you are complex or maybe you just don't express yourself clearly. Maybe nobody gets your sense of humour so you ask yourself if you are laughing alone.

Chances are if you tell someone you are hurt by being misunderstood you will be told oh just get over it. Hah! INFJs don't just get over it.

So, what is your strategy for trying to just get over it?

Second question: In what way are you typically misunderstood?

ThePoetess

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Question 1:

I have a friend who, while he doesn't always understand me all of the time, he tries very very hard at it and does better than anyone else I know. When I feel very misunderstood then I think about him and it makes me feel better and helps me to give them a second chance while trying to explain myself better.

Question 2:
I feel misunderstood in my communication, my motives, what I mean by my words and actions, ect

DaveG

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't really have a strategy, it's just the way it is. Sometimes I even like it when I'm missunderstood, because then it's something only I understand and it became my thing and my thing only.

I feel missunderstood in my communication. Like when I tell an anecdote, I try to tell it like it is, but half of the anecdote is visualised in my mind and I forget that others don't have my images in their minds. So what I tell them is far from complete and people just nod or something haha.

Going deeper I feel missunderstood personally because I can't imagine anyone ever truly knowing what goes on inside my mind. Which makes it a bit lonely.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
I turn to my ISTP shadow.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Either find a different way to explain it or give up. Sometimes you do neex to learn to get over it, as harsh as that may seem.

Jellyfish1234

I think most people feel misunderstood in some way at some point in their life, INFJ or not - it might help if you remind yourself that you're not alone in feeling misunderstood when trying to communicate thoughts/feelings or just being who you are/seeing things the way you do.

If you're worried people might misunderstand your motives, remember that others have probably experienced this feeling themselves and so some others likely will understand that you might just be misunderstood at times if they question why you did certain things, because they can relate to that experience themselves.

If you're trying to find a way to express something, try different forms of expression other than words - art might help, depending on the person who you're trying to communicate to. But like Smile said, sometimes it just won't work and I think it's important to be able to accept that and move on. You can't come across clearly to everyone - there are just too many people in the world who see things differently. Find people who you feel understood with, or who try to understand you.

Just my advice, hopefully you'll see these new responses given the age of the thread.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have trouble communicating and feel misunderstood quite a bit. Doing artwork or reading helps with the residue emotions that are hard to pinpoint. Also, when people get to know, while the misunderstoodness never goes away, the worst parts kind of do. I am not good at putting my thoughts into words and internalize a lot. Thinking about situations from other people's perspective also may help, try to get in their shoes and knowing that they have good intensions.