• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs, do you relate to idealism? (Poll included)

Do you relate to idealism?

• Total voters

her-space-holiday

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I kind of have to be.
Otherwise I get depressed and cynical. My long term outlook is almost always optimistic.

Though I do try to be realistic about things and try to take into account as many variables about a situation as I can because I've been burnt by my own tendency to idealize in the past.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm known in my family to talk of dreams and "what if?" scenarios all the time, like talking about what we would all do if we won the lottery, what I would do if I became famous some day for my talents, and the list goes on. They entertain me, but it's obvious they are nowhere on the same astronomical plane as me.

I sort of think my idealism may come from a combination of things rather than simply being a cause for too much lala land time. I had plenty of that in elementary school. But I've always been optimistic, and reality tends to bore me easily, so I tend to fantasize new realities for myself, sometimes completely unaware that I'm even doing it! I think my idealism, at least in the way I'm describing it, comes from my wanting to see change. Not necessarily that world peace is something on my to-do list, but things that I as an individual can instigate and get things going.

Do I have my head in the clouds? more often than not
Do I fantasize and daydream for things that are most definitely out of my reach but still believe they are attainable? Absolutely.
Do I believe in the good in people? You bet!

You can tell me there is no practicality in thinking this way, but someone has to believe that things can only get better. It's contagious, and at the very least, may nudge others around me to think that they too, can achieve something great in life, even if at the end of the day, it's just a couple of people dreaming.

I have to say it, but why not take life by the reins and dream enthusiastically :happy2:

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. This is when the depression kicks in when I realize that its difficult to budge free of awaited outcomes that are out of my grasp.

Litsnob

Yes, I think most people would describe me as one. I think a little cynicism can creep in with age and experience so I hope that by now I'm somewhere nice and balanced. I wouldn't want to lose my idealism but I would also like to be realistic. I strive to be balanced. Mostly, my glass if half full and I believe the best of people. My motto tends to be expect the worst and hope for the best and generally avoid disappointment.