• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF hypersensitivity

NFs only, do you consider yourself hypersensitive?

• Yes

Votes: 71 79.8%
  • No

Votes: 18 20.2%

• Total voters

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I'm not generally hypersensitive, but I can be if I'm stressed and/or pulled in a lot of different directions. I am VERY sensitive and aware of people's (often understated) emotional states, though I am not terribly vulnerable to absorbing them myself.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I protest the "hyper". I'm sensitive to layers of meaning, values, emotional responses etc, aware of my own thought processes and sensitive to flaws in logical reasoning. But not hyper-.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That last line seems like a very emotionally hypersensitive response.
Have you been working on your NF skills? :smile:

No I dont have good F skills...maybe a few moments here and there of quality F use...but thats about it...yet they have gotten better as I rely more on my Ne..

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Okay, I'll be the only person here to say "yes". I am hypersensitive. Particularly to sensory details like sounds and visual motion. But, I have been known to be overly sensitive to other people's emotions. I can find it hard to be around people who are upset or ranting for long periods of time; the same is true for people who are hyperactively happy.

In all of these cases, if I haven't been sleeping well or eating well or feeling well, I have an anxiety attack from the massive amount of input.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"Hyper" means "overly."

I'd agree with that. The way I used that word made it sound like --sensitive to an undesirably high degree.

Highly sensitive would have been more representative of what I had in mind.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I'd agree with that. The way I used that word made it sound like --sensitive to an undesirably high degree.

Highly sensitive would have been more representative of what I had in mind.

That'd probably make me vote yes instead of no.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Would you call yourself hypersensitive?

Sensitivity implies acute awareness of an entity, so in this case I have in mind an acute awareness of emotion.

No I wouldn't. Well...it's all relative. I seem to be more sensitive than most people I know show evidence of, but pretty often when dealing with STJs especially I'm totally stumped. I guess I can only really be sensitive to people to the extent that I can recognize myself in them. Fortunately most emotions seem to be universal, but that doesn't always help you recognize which emotions are being triggered by what events. My emotions tend to run pretty slow, whereas many people can blow up at the drop of a hat. Or they can wander past moments of piercing poignance without even pausing to consider. So I guess I'm not as sensitive as I'd like, but I could be worse.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a bit sensitive to hyperactivity. Does that count?

The more I get to know people, the more I find that most people have certain things they focus their sensitivity into. Some people with a really tough exterior will have something they consider hands-off and if you intrude there, their reaction is way over the top. That type of thing seems really common to people in general. It's largely what makes human interactions so complicated.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not certain how to answer the question because it does seem I feel things rather deeply, but I do not want to be treated as a very sensitive person. I can endure a great deal and that is what i value in myself. I am tough, moreso than many people would guess. If I'm overly sensitive to something, I don't want anyone to know about that.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Hm.. that's a thing as well. I'm not sensitive in that I react easily to things, only in that I notice them. I guess it's the Fi again.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The main emotion I feel is annoyance/rage. I get annoyed super easily, but I rarely do anything drastic about it. I spaz a lot though, but nobody seems to ever freaking stop! I hate the jerky movements of Js as they try to touch me. I hate being touched. Unless it's very, very gently. >:[

laughing dolphin

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would have to say yes... I am very much aware of the emotional states of those around me, sometimes to the point of being uncomfortable about it. So I guess that makes me "hypersensitive"...then again, I think the term certainly does seem to have a negative ring to it, doesn't it? As in, "my GOD, you are so SENSITIVE!" And I'm not one of those that takes umbrage at every little thing... I think those of us with heightened sensitivity that aren't needy/borderline-crazy people need to take back the term and create a flag...and wave it proudly.
LD

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah... yeah... everyone voted no because they thought hypersensitive was something deragatory...

I'd be complimented if someone said I was hypersensitive to pure thought...that'd mean the same thing as 'very analytical and is or has potential to excell at pure reason'...

That's because hypersensitivity isn't acute perception of feelings. It's an overblown emotional response. It IS deragatory.

(i'm distraught because in the little smilie menu the smilie to the right of the headphones smilie is in love with him but the headphones smilie is too preoccupied with his music to care. the love will never be returned. it's so tragic! i can't bear it!!! i think i'll write a sincere, heartfelt poem about it)

The NFs that voted no don't think they have overblown emotional responses. The NFs that voted yes think they do. I'm surprised that any NFs at all voted yes.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It would be interesting to compare the number of rants per capita on this site vs. INTPc. Just a wee little curiosity regarding overreaction. ;)

edit: actually overreaction has more to do with being spoilt - being accustomed to getting whatever you wish through dramatic means. Usually this is a skill learned by age two or so. For some it is a life strategy.

MBTI Type
ENTP
It would be interesting to compare the number of rants per capita on this site vs. INTPc. Just a wee little curiosity regarding overreaction. ;)

so you don't think that any situation warrants a rant?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
so you don't think that any situation warrants a rant?
A rant is by nature an overreaction, right? Maybe people need to overreact at times. The frequency of rants could be a way to measure overly sensitive responses to things. My main point is that overreactions don't seem to be the domain of a personality type - even an F or T thing. It has as much to do with how a person was raised and other factors.

MBTI Type
ENTP
A rant is by nature an overreaction, right? Maybe people need to overreact at times. The frequency of rants could be a way to measure overly sensitive responses to things. My main point is that overreactions don't seem to be the domain of a personality type - even an F or T thing. It has as much to do with how a person was raised and other factors.

I tend to think that what constitutes an 'overreaction' is itself subjective. But I agree that what can subjectively be construed as an overreaction transcends type.

laughing dolphin

MBTI Type
INFJ
Booyalab:"That's because hypersensitivity isn't acute perception of feelings. It's an overblown emotional response. It IS deragatory."

Sure, you bet it's deragatory...the way you define it, in the latter sense. But not all who are emotionally "hypersensitive" (much more sensitive to their emotional environment - that's the way I take it here) are going to have "overblown emotional responses" and I think describing people as such is just another way to dismiss them. And I have had interactions with hystrionic people and can see the difference. Can you?
LD

(Yeah, I'm a NOOB and will eventually figure out how to quote correctly...promise...)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sure, you bet it's deragatory...the way you define it, in the latter sense. But not all who are emotionally "hypersensitive" (much more sensitive to their emotional environment - that's the way I take it here) are going to have "overblown emotional responses" and I think describing people as such is just another way to dismiss them. And I have had interactions with hystrionic people and can see the difference. Can you?
LD

The definition of hypersensitive is excessively sensitive. Excessive is also in the definition of overblown. Overblown emotions is the same thing as hypersensitivity.