• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Imaginative Stories by NFs

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NFs are known to be imaginative. Are there differences in the kinds of stories each type is likely to create? How does Ni, Ne, Fi, and Fe combine to create different kinds of imaginative stories?

I know a few NFs who create stories with ease, but when I attempt to type someone based on their stories, I find myself uncertain in how the imaginative style relates to functions. I especially wonder which type of NF is likely to create the most complex stories with layers, history, complex characters and societies?

huayra207

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, I'd like to think that this is defined by their main function.

Ni - Converging, they filter down a lot of ideas to one, simple truth. Look at books like Requiem of a Dream - the author seems like a Ni-user. He frequently says ideas like a single unifying vision - about the importance of having a single, clear vision and how one shouldn't get lost when chasing the American Dream (the film and the book are both really depressing, by the way). The whole story is about how 4 lives spiral out of control in the attempt to chase said dream without accounting for their own hearts, and how this caused hell for all of them.

Ne - Diverging, they are like an explosion of ideas, of what-ifs and possibilities. I find their writing digressing occasionally and more light-hearted than people with other dominant functions. Read articles by Jeremy Clarkson (an ENTP), or stuff by other Ne doms. You'd find their Ne working - finding possibilities, alternate tangents, stuff like that.

I'm just writing stuff I thought about from works I've seen, so don't go benchmarking people's work based on this. All I'm trying to say is that their cognitive functions tend to give a certain flavor that conforms to the way the function works.

huayra207

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don't ask about why there's no Fi and Fe there, I couldn't think of how they would be visible in writing. I'd assume stuff like how Fi would be more black and white in their morality and Fe would be more morally gray. But then again, you know what they say about assumptions. *winks