• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs lead dangerous lives!!!!

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wanted to come back to this thread because it brought back memories of my family arguing with me about some of the more "adventurous" decisions I had made, like serving as a volunteer for two years in a developing country. My brother was actually very opposed to this and was convinced I would die as a "martyr" (his words) in a blaze of gunfire.

To alleviate my own concerns, I researched the organization's program, safety history, country's stability, etc. I didn't make the decision lightly, nor was I driven by an unhealthy desire to "save the world." Actually, this particular agency screens out individuals who exhibit that quality because it results in volunteers with mental health issues resulting in medical evacuations. It was a calculated risk on my part. The funny thing is, and it's more scary than funny, but there was a military coup while I was living there--fortunately I wasn't on the streets of the capital that day.

I do not live under the false assumption that I can SAVE THE WORLD!, but rather, I see my small actions as a way to contribute and connect to the world and the people around me. It is as simple as that.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I thought this thread was going to be kind of different, based on the title...
I know an INFJ who does a lot of coke, that's about as dangerous as his life gets. He doesn't really put himself in danger for others, but he does associate with and attract a lot of unwholesome people. Unfortunately not all INFJs are not quite as selfless as the ones here.
(Don't get me wrong--I really like INFJs, but this thread has a lot of self-love)

EDIT: To clarify what I meant, I feel like this thread has a certain element of being in love with the INFJ image, not that the posters are infatuated with themselves. Probably won't make you think I'm less of a jerk, but just so you think it for the right reasons ;)

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought this thread was going to be kind of different, based on the title...
I know an INFJ who does a lot of coke, that's about as dangerous as his life gets. He doesn't really put himself in danger for others, but he does associate with and attract a lot of unwholesome people. Unfortunately not all INFJs are not quite as selfless as the ones here.
(Don't get me wrong--I really like INFJs, but this thread has a lot of self-love)

Thats really really bad and I totally understand where he's at. Thats scary Poppy. I'd avoid him like the plague.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Thats really really bad and I totally understand where he's at. Thats scary Poppy. I'd avoid him like the plague.
Yeah, I haven't talked to him in a long time. He's not exactly a great example of a healthy person.
Sweet as pie, though.

V

violaine

We talked about it quickly in PM and I understand you don't think any of us are narcissistic Poppy, but I would hate for any of the shyer INFJs not to add to this thread for fear of it coming off as grandstanding. INFJs are rather prone to shame in that way. I thought the stories in this thread were interesting though I didn't take the op that seriously.

No, you aren't a jerk at all, lol.

Last edited:

Jaded Idealist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Corrupt people usually tend to notice that I don't fall into their social traps. I don't kiss up to them and absolutely refuse to fall into their obvious manipulative situations. And they hate this. I don't see why some people can't just be straight up and honest with others. Why use people? They're human beings, not toys. You can get plenty far in life without having to use people at all. I have little to no tolerance for narcissism, and thus most narcissists can't stand me. I couldn't care less because they're arrogant jerks, but I hope none of them ever tries to assissinate me.

+1

Better dead than ESxx. :D

whatusername

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
We talked about it quickly in PM and I understand you don't think any of us are narcissistic Poppy, but I would hate for any of the shyer INFJs not to add to this thread for fear of it coming off as grandstanding. INFJs are rather prone to shame in that way. I thought the stories in this thread were interesting though I didn't take the op that seriously.

No, you aren't a jerk at all, lol.

I actually was kind of afraid to answer because people might think I think too highly of myself.

Thing is, I've always wanted to (and I think I will) work for the UN, Amnesty or any suchlike org after I get my degree.

I've been made aware (esp by my parents) of the dangers of working as a volunteer (kidnappings, abductions, etc.) but I honestly don't care.

Sometimes, it even adds to the excitement.

I guess if INFJs have this tendency of wanting that sort of work, it's likely they'll lead dangerous lives.

V

violaine

I actually was kind of afraid to answer because people might think I think too highly of myself.

Yes, know the feeling. (I don't care about that here anymore tbh but it took a while to get comfortable!) Glad you posted. :)

Thing is, I've always wanted to (and I think I will) work for the UN, Amnesty or any suchlike org after I get my degree.

I've been made aware (esp by my parents) of the dangers of working as a volunteer (kidnappings, abductions, etc.) but I honestly don't care.

Sometimes, it even adds to the excitement.

I guess if INFJs have this tendency of wanting that sort of work, it's likely they'll lead dangerous lives.

Cool! Hmm, I do wonder if the need to feel tangibly effective is part of it? I used to work in child protection but it ended up not being a front line position. I couldn't see tangible results for effort quickly enough coupled with that there was a lot of infighting and jockeying for position; people lost sight of the work. I became very frustrated/disillusioned in that job.

whatusername

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yes, know the feeling. (I don't care about that here anymore tbh but it took a while to get comfortable!) Glad you posted. :)

Cool! Hmm, I do wonder if the need to feel tangibly effective is part of it? I used to work in child protection but it ended up not being a front line position. I couldn't see tangible results for effort quickly enough coupled with that there was a lot of infighting and jockeying for position; people lost sight of the work. I became very frustrated/disillusioned in that job.

I think that's a big part of it. I highly doubt my choice of words, but I think it's all part of this "meaning of my life/ dying with some meaning" thing I have.

Again, I apologize in advance if this offends anyone, but I feel like if I don't end up going into that kind of work, any occupation I do would just not "mean anything." I think I'm making a mess of what it is I'm trying to say though. :soapbox: Hehe.

If I do encounter that sort of office politics as you have, I'm pretty sure I'd leave, too.

whatusername

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Oh, and I like the frontline/grassroots positions, as well. Guess there's the danger of it.

I think if we're too far removed from all the "conflicts" we're supposed to "help resolve," it'll look pointless to us. :)

V

violaine

^Nah, you're making perfect sense. :) Yes, I think it's that all that effort seems pointless if one is not involved directly.

(May also be because I have my own idea of how things should proceed and being distracted from that by things like 'office politics' is irritating!)

Ruby Tuesday

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think if we're too far removed from all the "conflicts" we're supposed to "help resolve," it'll look pointless to us.

TOTally. I work on human rights and environment issues in Asia, and though my background and training is in law and activism I was at first given a 'senior' post which was actually glorified admin and desk-driving. It brought out my shadow side big time for the first time in my life. Now I've been moved to a more active but less senior role where I'm much happier and slowly getting a grip on the shadow. It all was a lot to do with confidence and with feeling underused and belittled by that I'm sure, but also very much what whatusername said about distance - I was doing work the organization needed to have done, but the connection for me between action and outcome was way too tenuous.

S

Sniffles

I think if we're too far removed from all the "conflicts" we're supposed to "help resolve," it'll look pointless to us. :)

This is certainly how I see things too. Of course it's also a constant struggle to balance my active side with my more contemplative side.
shrug.gif

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, and I like the frontline/grassroots positions, as well. Guess there's the danger of it.

I guess any type of frontline work is potentially dangerous; I usually weigh the pros and cons as rationally as possible but you can't foresee everything that happens in a developing country, or anywhere for that matter.

And I am in complete agreement that a person has to be in that area of "conflict" even if only for a short time--that is truly the only way to understand the magnitude of the problem and all the interconnecting social, political, geographical, economic realities.

Good luck with your employment goal...sounds very interesting.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
it's a war tactic, they cut off the heads of the spiritual leaders and intellectual leaders of a country and afterwards the people who were being led to resist become much easier to conquer.