• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] How to Tell Apart NFJ's from SFJ's in Everyday Life

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I like it, creepy++ :newwink:

Its the serial killer vibe which gives them away.
Look out for beliefs of divinity, divine inspiration and other cosmic agency.

Also conspiracy theorists. Ask them about 9/11 if u are unsure of the diagnosis

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Its the serial killer vibe which gives them away.
Look out for beliefs of divinity, divine inspiration and other cosmic agency.

Also conspiracy theorists. Ask them about 9/11 if u are unsure of the diagnosis

Serial killer vibe? Ah yes, I see now, it's a dead give away.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Sounds like those ESFJ's know their stuff. I should have coffee with an ESFJ sometime. :coffee:

I know some places.

I think NFJ's, especially INFJ's, tend to hide a lot of their actual thoughts...primarily because of Fe social normative stuffs and having that consideration...due to harmony they are less likely to shove their Ni thoughts down people's throats...and maybe a mix of not wanting to be ostracised for being different.

I don't want to propagate the intelligence debate on N and S but I do think a lot of intelligent people hide their intelligence and while N doesn't equal iNtelligent, it is true (seemingly) that a lot of N's are quite bright which can also contribute to this.

Additionally plenty of people are intimidated by anything they don't understand and if they don't understand it then they can't get that illusion of control. Next step is to slowly destroy it.

Basically I think you're in a pot luck situation; if you manage to engage with someone who you think is NFJ then possibly that might come out in a more comfortable environment for them...or not.

Like I said; pot luck.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many of the "criteria" in the OP seem rather generic in that they could apply to any IN-- type, and perhaps the occasional wayward ISP. Considering the INFJ's tendency to be a social chameleon, a discerning eye will be required, and even then, one might not really "see" the INFJ's true essence without better acquainting their self with the suspected INFJ.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Easy - ask the ixfj you wish to type how many people they have doorslammed. If it's more than 1 it's probably an infj.

Usually if it's an infj the number would reach double digits ;).

Infj doorslams are permanent unlike that of an isfj.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let's say that I have been doing a lot of growing over the past year or so. As such, I've done a lot of reading, but no public writing lately, about who I am (in terms of personality) and what relationships mean to me--until today. I joined this forum because of this thread, so kudos to the OP.

I think I have some insight that might be of value to the OP. Besides, as an ENFJ, I am compelled to make the world a better place by sharing my wisdom, and, as an Enneagram Type 1, I want to always be "right" and "have all the answers." Naturally, I project that need onto the OP (who probably could care less, but who, nevertheless, asked the question that brought me here).

Please take the preceding paragraph with a grain of salt. In person, I am warm, intuitive, and attentive to the needs of those around me. In writing, however, I usually come across as a cold and cocky know-it-all. ;)

Here's what I can add. I am an ENFJ, and my wife is an ISFJ. To outsiders, we appear to be as different as night and day. While I am an Enneagram Type 1, my wife is an Enneagram Type 4. My instincts are sx/sp, whereas my wife's instincts are sp/sx. We make an OK couple, I suppose, except for the fact that I am an extrovert who needs to self-express and interact with others (melding deeply and intensely, if possible), whereas my wife is currently asleep. I exhaust her. While I've spent the past year trying to work on my own personal growth and my relationship with my wife, she has spent the past year in apparent stagnation--mainly trying to preserve her family and hoping I'll just "get over" the emotional turmoil that has been my marriage for the past year. We have been married for nearly eighteen years, and we have been physically intimate for nearly 23 years. I say "physically" intimate because I doubt she's even capable of the kind of intimacy that I crave (i.e. utter and complete physical and emotional intimacy). As an Enneagram Type 1, I am instinctual by nature, and my sx instinct is overwhelming, while as an ENFJ/sx, I want, more than anything else, to completely meld with just one person), whereas my wife has little or no desire to meld with anyone (for very good, personal/historical reasons that I don't want to explore at the moment). Suffice it to say that I know her pretty well, and I can definitely describe what I see as the principal difference between an NFJ and an SFJ. So, here's the quick answer:

I am online reading and posting while she is sleeping. She doesn't really "care" about the philosophical "hows" and "whys" of the nature of human relationships in the way that I do. She humors me and pretends to listen when I try to explore these things with her, but, truth be told, she mainly likes the way that I smell, the ways that I provide for her, nurture her, and try to please her, the ways in which I care for her and our children, and, mercifully, just the sound of my voice. So, she "hears" me, and as an S, she relishes that sound she so loves, the smell that makes her feel "at home" and safe, and the attention that she gets from interacting with me, but she's not really "listening" to me very often. Frankly, she's just not that interested most of the time. That being the short answer (chuckle), here's the longer and more complete answer (and it includes how to distinguish an SFJ from an NFJ):

First, count their friends. I have a good number of close friends, some of whom I have known since the 4th grade and with whom I maintain relationships. Nearly all of them are Ns, naturally. My wife, for her part, has just one friend on the entire planet--me. No joke. She has colleagues with whom she works, and she has some acquaintances, but I am the closest she has ever come to having a true friend. Even so, she prefers to dissociate and insulate herself, especially from me, whereas I am looking for more than friendship in the most significant relationship of my entire life. Not to knock all the Ss out there, but I can't imagine what an S-S friendship would look like. To me, I suppose it would appear shallow and virtually meaningless, for I want many deep friendships and one intensely intimate relationship. As such, I have a lot of friends and a ton of acquaintances. For example, while my wife has, perhaps, thirty contacts listed in her phone, I have over three hundred. Because my wife actively avoids truly intimate relationships, she has only one friend. Because I actively seek such relationships, I have a good number of friends and a lot more contacts and acquaintances. One could argue that this difference is a function of my extraversion and her introversion, but I hypothesize that an NFJ will have many more friends and acquaintances than an SFJ, without regard to their relative extraversion or introversion, because an NFJ is just more sensitive and attentive to people and relationships between people (because they matter a lot to NFJs and not so much to SFJs).

Second, ignore their obvious sense of aesthetics. All FJs (theoretically speaking) will be into aesthetics, so this is not a good basis for distinguishing an NFJ from an SFJ. I note that the OP mentions "pictures" of NFJs and SFJs. That suggests that the OP is an S (particularly interested in visual data). An NFJ looks for the immediate and present actions and reactions of people and wonders about the nature of the relationships between people--data that you can't get from a picture because pictures are static while people are constantly changing. SFJs will be more interested in what other people are wearing (how it looks and whether it fits--i.e. sensory data), whereas NFJs might not even notice what a given person is wearing on a given day.

Third, and most importantly, pay attention to the topics they like to discuss. Ns (just over a quarter of the population) tend to be deep thinkers who are interested in relationships--not just between people but between everything (the nature of the universe, the "hows" and "whys" of existence). Ss (just under three quarters of the population) don't often discuss such things--not unless they have some desire to please an EN who just won't quit talking about these deep subjects. While an ESFJ might know the name of every person who attends his or her school reunion, that same person might not really care (and probably doesn't know) what makes those same people tick. An NFJ might not be able to name all those people, but the NFJ will have an "intutive" sense of them and will better understand what's important to them. Who those people really are will matter to the NFJ more than their names. This principle applies to more than just people. For example, my wife likes to talk about and think about fashion--apparel, in particular. When discussing apparel with her, I want to know where the goods are made, under what conditions the laborers who made the goods work, what materials, precisely, compose the goods, whether they are a good value, and whether they are high or low quality. My wife, for her part, wants to know what colors and sizes are available for a given piece of apparel that has caught her discerning eye. We can discuss these things because we're both into aesthetics, but the N (me) wants to understand the "hows" and "whys." My wife cares more about the things she can sense directly--i.e. color, size, style, fit, smell, sound, and "the feel" of the merchandise. She only cares about the working conditions of laborers in Indonesia because I do. Generally speaking, and very broadly generalizing, I admit, such topics are only marginally on the S's radar. This, I would suggest, is the key difference between an SFJ and an NFJ. The NFJ wants to know the relationship between a shirt and workers in Indonesia. Indeed, the typical NFJ wants to understand the relationships between all things. The SFJ, on the other hand, wants to know the sensory data and the utility that can be gleaned from a shirt, and will readily discuss such things. Only when an N is around will the conversation about something as mundane as a shirt turn to working conditions in foreign factories. Watch for it.

In any event, that's my two cents. :D

Last edited:
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Which one gets to the answer faster?

I like to think of Si as a Storehouse of detailed information, and Ni as a Intuitive Tardis, if that sounds fair? I'm not saying Ni is any better than Si or vice-versa, but that's how I like to think of it. Also, someone wise once told me that Ni is a forward thinking' version of Si (and Si is a 'detailed version' of Ni). Both Si and Ni symbolism can appear similar, but with different meanings/motives. That also makes it hard to distinguish, as they are both Introverted Perception Functions, unlike Ti and Fi, which are Introverted Judging Functions (and also harder to distinguish). Well developed Ni/Si can come across as like each other, especially when backed with Se/Ni.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know some places.

I think NFJ's, especially INFJ's, tend to hide a lot of their actual thoughts...primarily because of Fe social normative stuffs and having that consideration...due to harmony they are less likely to shove their Ni thoughts down people's throats...and maybe a mix of not wanting to be ostracised for being different.

I don't want to propagate the intelligence debate on N and S but I do think a lot of intelligent people hide their intelligence and while N doesn't equal iNtelligent, it is true (seemingly) that a lot of N's are quite bright which can also contribute to this.

Additionally plenty of people are intimidated by anything they don't understand and if they don't understand it then they can't get that illusion of control. Next step is to slowly destroy it.

Basically I think you're in a pot luck situation; if you manage to engage with someone who you think is NFJ then possibly that might come out in a more comfortable environment for them...or not.

Like I said; pot luck.

I really agree with that Cellmold, Ni is a little off from normative culture. N isn't intelligence right. It's sad that it is that way how people always want control and can't simply let things be.

Many of the "criteria" in the OP seem rather generic in that they could apply to any IN-- type, and perhaps the occasional wayward ISP. Considering the INFJ's tendency to be a social chameleon, a discerning eye will be required, and even then, one might not really "see" the INFJ's true essence without better acquainting their self with the suspected INFJ.

Lol it's tumblr, that's why I said I was "desperate" xD It's very true the INFJ will hide him or herself with the complementary Fe.

Easy - ask the ixfj you wish to type how many people they have doorslammed. If it's more than 1 it's probably an infj.

Usually if it's an infj the number would reach double digits ;).

Infj doorslams are permanent unlike that of an isfj.

This is rather true, but it happens to less people than you would think.. depending on the person and situation he/she is placed in. But I have rather plenty due to some odd situations I have had lol.

Which one gets to the answer faster?

I like to think of Si as a Storehouse of detailed information, and Ni as a Intuitive Tardis, if that sounds fair? I'm not saying Ni is any better than Si or vice-versa, but that's how I like to think of it. Also, someone wise once told me that Ni is a forward thinking' version of Si (and Si is a 'detailed version' of Ni). Both Si and Ni symbolism can appear similar, but with different meanings/motives. That also makes it hard to distinguish, as they are both Introverted Perception Functions, unlike Ti and Fi, which are Introverted Judging Functions (and also harder to distinguish). Well developed Ni/Si can come across as like each other, especially when backed with Se/Ni.

How does this help me identify somebody though, I'm not trying to identify myself or get to know a very particular person better haha?

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How does this help me identify somebody though, I'm not trying to identify myself or get to know a very particular person better haha?

Face fucking palm! Read your thread title please. You wanted to know the difference between INfjs and ISfjs, and HOW to identify them. These are my experiences on how to identify them. The starting line was a joke, yes. The rest wasn't. :fpalm:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Face fucking palm! Read your thread title please. You wanted to know the difference between INfjs and ISfjs, and HOW to identify them. These are my experiences on how to identify them. The starting line was a joke, yes. The rest wasn't. :fpalm:

If you read my OP, Mr. Rude. I said everyday life. What's your problem? LOOK ON THE OUTSIDE NOT ON THE INSIDE.:dry:

Don't you dare use that crap against me and abstraction does not equal experience buddy.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you read my OP, Mr. Rude. I said everyday life. What's your problem? LOOK ON THE OUTSIDE NOT ON THE INSIDE.:dry:

Don't you dare use that crap against me and abstraction does not equal experience buddy.

Yeah. That's how I identify them in everyday life, Mr.INFJ4LookMeSpecialSnowflake. You're not my Momma [emoji14]

And my experiences and perceptions of reality are different from yours. What you may call abstractions are actually legitimate observations from experiences in my lifetime, which I have noted and tested. Which have evolved facts from hypotheses many moons ago ;) Oh yeaah!

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Let's say that I have been doing a lot of growing over the past year or so. As such, I've done a lot of reading, but no public writing lately, about who I am (in terms of personality) and what relationships mean to me--until today. I joined this forum because of this thread, so kudos to the OP.

I think I have some insight that might be of value to the OP. Besides, as an ENFJ, I am compelled to make the world a better place by sharing my wisdom, and, as an Enneagram Type 1, I want to always be "right" and "have all the answers." Naturally, I project that need onto the OP (who probably could care less, but who, nevertheless, asked the question that brought me here).

Please take the preceding paragraph with a grain of salt. In person, I am warm, intuitive, and attentive to the needs of those around me. In writing, however, I usually come across as a cold and cocky know-it-all. ;)

Here's what I can add. I am an ENFJ, and my wife is an ISFJ. To outsiders, we appear to be as different as night and day. While I am an Enneagram Type 1, my wife is an Enneagram Type 4. My instincts are sx/se, whereas my wife's instincts are se/sx. We make an OK couple, I suppose, except for the fact that I am an extrovert who needs to self-express and interact with others (melding deeply and intensely, if possible), whereas my wife is currently asleep. I exhaust her. While I've spent the past year trying to work on my own personal growth and my relationship with my wife, she has spent the past year in apparent stagnation--mainly trying to preserve her family and hoping I'll just "get over" the emotional turmoil that has been my marriage for the past year. We have been married for nearly eighteen years, and we have been physically intimate for nearly 23 years. I say "physically" intimate because I doubt she's even capable of the kind of intimacy that I crave (i.e. utter and complete physical and emotional intimacy). As an Enneagram Type 1, I am instinctual by nature, and my sx instinct is overwhelming, while as an ENFJ/sx, I want, more than anything else, to completely meld with just one person), whereas my wife has little or no desire to meld with anyone (for very good, personal/historical reasons that I don't want to explore at the moment). Suffice it to say that I know her pretty well, and I can definitely describe what I see as the principal difference between an NFJ and an SFJ. So, here's the quick answer:

I am online reading and posting while she is sleeping. She doesn't really "care" about the philosophical "hows" and "whys" of the nature of human relationships in the way that I do. She humors me and pretends to listen when I try to explore these things with her, but, truth be told, she mainly likes the way that I smell, the ways that I provide for her, nurture her, and try to please her, the ways in which I care for her and our children, and, mercifully, just the sound of my voice. So, she "hears" me, and as an S, she relishes that sound she so loves, the smell that makes her feel "at home" and safe, and the attention that she gets from interacting with me, but she's not really "listening" to me very often. Frankly, she's just not that interested most of the time. That being the short answer (chuckle), here's the longer and more complete answer (and it includes how to distinguish an SFJ from an NFJ):

First, count their friends. I have a good number of close friends, some of whom I have known since the 4th grade and with whom I maintain relationships. Nearly all of them are Ns, naturally. My wife, for her part, has just one friend on the entire planet--me. No joke. She has colleagues with whom she works, and she has some acquaintances, but I am the closest she has ever come to having a true friend. Even so, she prefers to dissociate and insulate herself, especially from me, whereas I am looking for more than friendship in the most significant relationship of my entire life. Not to knock all the Ss out there, but I can't imagine what an S-S friendship would look like. To me, I suppose it would appear shallow and virtually meaningless, for I want many deep friendships and one intensely intimate relationship. As such, I have a lot of friends and a ton of acquaintances. For example, while my wife has, perhaps, thirty contacts listed in her phone, I have over three hundred. Because my wife actively avoids truly intimate relationships, she has only one friend. Because I actively seek such relationships, I have a good number of friends and a lot more contacts and acquaintances. One could argue that this difference is a function of my extraversion and her introversion, but I hypothesize that an NFJ will have many more friends and acquaintances than an SFJ, without regard to their relative extraversion or introversion, because an NFJ is just more sensitive and attentive to people and relationships between people (because they matter a lot to NFJs and not so much to SFJs).

Second, ignore their obvious sense of aesthetics. All FJs (theoretically speaking) will be into aesthetics, so this is not a good basis for distinguishing an NFJ from an SFJ. I note that the OP mentions "pictures" of NFJs and SFJs. That suggests that the OP is an S (particularly interested in visual data). An NFJ looks for the immediate and present actions and reactions of people and wonders about the nature of the relationships between people--data that you can't get from a picture because pictures are static while people are constantly changing. SFJs will be more interested in what other people are wearing (how it looks and whether it fits--i.e. sensory data), whereas NFJs might not even notice what a given person is wearing on a given day.

Third, and most importantly, pay attention to the topics they like to discuss. Ns (just over a quarter of the population) tend to be deep thinkers who are interested in relationships--not just between people but between everything (the nature of the universe, the "hows" and "whys" of existence). Ss (just under three quarters of the population) don't often discuss such things--not unless they have some desire to please an EN who just won't quit talking about these deep subjects. While an ESFJ might know the name of every person who attends his or her school reunion, that same person might not really care (and probably doesn't know) what makes those same people tick. An NFJ might not be able to name all those people, but the NFJ will have an "intutive" sense of them and will better understand what's important to them. Who those people really are will matter to the NFJ more than their names. This principle applies to more than just people. For example, my wife likes to talk about and think about fashion--apparel, in particular. When discussing apparel with her, I want to know where the goods are made, under what conditions the laborers who made the goods work, what materials, precisely, compose the goods, whether they are a good value, and whether they are high or low quality. My wife, for her part, wants to know what colors and sizes are available for a given piece of apparel that has caught her discerning eye. We can discuss these thing because we're both into aesthetics, but the N (me) wants to understand the "hows" and "whys." My wife cares more about the things she can sense directly--i.e. color, size, style, fit, smell, sound, and "the feel" of the merchandise. She only cares about the working conditions of laborers in Indonesia because I do. Generally speaking, and very broadly generalizing, I admit, such topics are only marginally on the S's radar. This, I would suggest, is the key difference between an SFJ and an NFJ. The NFJ wants to know the relationship between a shirt and workers in Indonesia. Indeed, the typical NFJ wants to understand the relationships between all things. The SFJ, on the other hand, wants to know the sensory data and the utility that can be gleaned from a shirt, and will readily discuss such things. Only when an N is around will the conversation about something as mundane as a shirt turn to working conditions in foreign factories. Watch for it.

Thanks so much for joining the forum just to answer my post. I think there's another forum achievement for me. Thanks for the well written response. This is quite an exceptional feat you did here and I very well appreciate it. I will be using you certainly as reference as there has been only a few sources that have been able to comprehend the depth of my questions because I understand some people have time restraints but I know you do so too! Whether you're here to stay or just merely here for the time being I can tell I'd easily like a person like you. :)

I am very much into the how and why into the things and you gave good concrete examples balancing both theory and application. Now by se in your instinctual variant reference do you mean by so or sp? Your wife very much reminds me of my mom who she would want more friends but is content at least on the outside, living a life with just her family and my dad. She doesn't need to worry too much about how her social status or anything really and she is quite introverted too.

Now while currently I'm in a haze whether I'm an INFJ or INTJ is that I am happy to express myself with running through surges of anxiousness because of high sensitivity, but it's so easy just to tell people up straight rather than trying to find a white lie or roundabout answer to tell someone the "polite" way. I know I cannot be IXFP because I don't have inferior Te responses but rather inferior Se responses. I believe my Fi is tertiary too because I don't have "deep feelings" at least frequent enough and I don't like to show my feelings as much even though sometimes that's all I want to do in hopes of a savior sometimes but I know even the most amazing people don't just respond to strangers in a very well caring tone because of all of a sudden motion which can seem like I'm only trying to manipulate or I'm crazy lol.

But all in all, I'm going to try to devise some questions or formulate some situations in my head how to best approach people and learn what they truly desire.

Thanks so much again.

:yes::thumbup:

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know, go by your own conviction Forver. Pictures are a tool of stereotype and people tend to view types in stereotypical ways. To be honest, I often find it hard to relate to other NFs or INFPs or NFPs and yet I am still typed as one simply because I fit the type in a different way.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps looking for inconsistencies helps to determine Ni over Si. Si is more consistent in relationship to its experience. It is also more consistent in its relationship to concrete reality. I think many people I know in classical music use Si in which they can recreate complex masterpieces down to the most detailed nuance. There can be a sense of exquisite, discerning taste in using Si. Their styles, their cooking, their performances, etc. will tend towards more constancy. Si also has a strong sense of nostalgia to it, so that can also be communicated in life style and choices.

Ni looks at the abstract big picture and as a result can produce internal dichotomies. I find there is a need to reconcile a lot of dichotomies inside myself - like a need to intimate connection, but a need for extreme space. Everyone experiences these things, but it's possible that it can be taken to a greater extreme with Ni. Also, concrete world is not categorized the same way for Ni. I've recently gone to some black metal concerts and I can see interesting similarities to a church service. They aren't opposite categories for me, but externally it would shock people who know me to realize the diversity of how I live or create art. People would be more confused by me the more they knew me because my internal sense of category is completely different from other people. My sense of fashion is a good example. I like clothing to serve somewhat as metaphors for the ethereal and lack of boundaries, preferring layered, sheer fabrics, uneven hemlines, etc, but I have moment of poor taste thrown in the mix that would shock someone with a Si fashion sense. It would be consistent with my internal world, but I think the Ni sense of how everything interconnects is different from the externally established connections.

These are just some ideas thrown out there and are not necessarily the definitive difference. Si could have external inconsistencies if that was part of the person's experience growing up. I think Ni can have more inconsistencies with their own history.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

Here's what I can add. I am an ENFJ, and my wife is an ISFJ. To outsiders, we appear to be as different as night and day. While I am an Enneagram Type 1, my wife is an Enneagram Type 4. My instincts are sx/se, whereas my wife's instincts are se/sx. We make an OK couple, I suppose, except for the fact that I am an extrovert who needs to self-express and interact with others (melding deeply and intensely, if possible), whereas my wife is currently asleep. I exhaust her. While I've spent the past year trying to work on my own personal growth and my relationship with my wife, she has spent the past year in apparent stagnation--mainly trying to preserve her family and hoping I'll just "get over" the emotional turmoil that has been my marriage for the past year. We have been married for nearly eighteen years, and we have been physically intimate for nearly 23 years. I say "physically" intimate because I doubt she's even capable of the kind of intimacy that I crave (i.e. utter and complete physical and emotional intimacy). As an Enneagram Type 1, I am instinctual by nature, and my sx instinct is overwhelming, while as an ENFJ/sx, I want, more than anything else, to completely meld with just one person), whereas my wife has little or no desire to meld with anyone (for very good, personal/historical reasons that I don't want to explore at the moment). Suffice it to say that I know her pretty well, and I can definitely describe what I see as the principal difference between an NFJ and an SFJ. So, here's the quick answer:

Third, and most importantly, pay attention to the topics they like to discuss. Ns (just over a quarter of the population) tend to be deep thinkers who are interested in relationships--not just between people but between everything (the nature of the universe, the "hows" and "whys" of existence). Ss (just under three quarters of the population) don't often discuss such things--not unless they have some desire to please an EN who just won't quit talking about these deep subjects. While an ESFJ might know the name of every person who attends his or her school reunion, that same person might not really care (and probably doesn't know) what makes those same people tick. An NFJ might not be able to name all those people, but the NFJ will have an "intutive" sense of them and will better understand what's important to them. Who those people really are will matter to the NFJ more than their names. This principle applies to more than just people. For example, my wife likes to talk about and think about fashion--apparel, in particular. When discussing apparel with her, I want to know where the goods are made, under what conditions the laborers who made the goods work, what materials, precisely, compose the goods, whether they are a good value, and whether they are high or low quality. My wife, for her part, wants to know what colors and sizes are available for a given piece of apparel that has caught her discerning eye. We can discuss these thing because we're both into aesthetics, but the N (me) wants to understand the "hows" and "whys." My wife cares more about the things she can sense directly--i.e. color, size, style, fit, smell, sound, and "the feel" of the merchandise. She only cares about the working conditions of laborers in Indonesia because I do. Generally speaking, and very broadly generalizing, I admit, such topics are only marginally on the S's radar. This, I would suggest, is the key difference between an SFJ and an NFJ. The NFJ wants to know the relationship between a shirt and workers in Indonesia. Indeed, the typical NFJ wants to understand the relationships between all things. The SFJ, on the other hand, wants to know the sensory data and the utility that can be gleaned from a shirt, and will readily discuss such things. Only when an N is around will the conversation about something as mundane as a shirt turn to working conditions in foreign factories. Watch for it.

OF COURSE!
CREATE A THREAD ABOUT THEM AND HOW MYSTERIOUS THEY ARE!

dammit. should have thought of this one :laugh:

well played sir, well played.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
The difference between ISFJ and INFJ is basically the difference between Si and Ni.

Si looks back. ISFJ says, "Look what has BEEN and see how it affects what IS.'

Ni looks forward. INFJ says, "Look what IS and predict what WILL be."

Also, Si is more concrete. Therefore, ISFJs are more concrete. They are better at routine tasks and at small talk. They will discuss your kid's soccer game and the best way to make mashed potatoes with you.

Ni is more abstract. INFJs are better at inventing and are terrible at small talk, but ask one about something not commonly discussed and they'll be happy to oblige you. They really are bored to tears when you talk about your kid's soccer game and how you make mashed potatoes; even if they don't tell you.

Both give off an approachable vibe. However, ISFJs seem more down to earth while INFJs seem more aloof and spaced out.

á´…eparted

passages
They are better at routine tasks and at small talk. They will discuss your kid's soccer game and the best way to make mashed potatoes with you.

I actually find this example (and many like it) to be unreliable and misleading.

I'm ENFJ, but I love small talk. Of course on topics of mutual interests, but I still enjoy it. Always have. It can be on the most mundane things as well. I've met INFJ's before who felt the same. The whole idea of wanting to talk shallow or deep is really not type restricted.

That said, there is a "quality" difference that is difficult to put to words. I noticed this difference when I met [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] in person (an ESFJ and a parallel contrast). I tended to be more "comfortable" delving into deeper things that my ilicit internal unknowns or scary things, and whether them fairly well, whereas she was not as apt to do so, or didn't find it as enjoyable as I did (I'm thinking of the dreams conversation you, I, and [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] had). However, I'd argue she's much more philosophical than I am.

I think a better difference between SFJ and NFJ is comfort with different areas, and the desire to get into them.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know, go by your own conviction Forver. Pictures are a tool of stereotype and people tend to view types in stereotypical ways. To be honest, I often find it hard to relate to other NFs or INFPs or NFPs and yet I am still typed as one simply because I fit the type in a different way.
True. True. I am a picture of probably of a fabulous ISFP. Yes we're all unique, sometimes I wish I could say that's fortunate.

Perhaps looking for inconsistencies helps to determine Ni over Si. Si is more consistent in relationship to its experience. It is also more consistent in its relationship to concrete reality. I think many people I know in classical music use Si in which they can recreate complex masterpieces down to the most detailed nuance. There can be a sense of exquisite, discerning taste in using Si. Their styles, their cooking, their performances, etc. will tend towards more constancy. Si also has a strong sense of nostalgia to it, so that can also be communicated in life style and choices.

Ni looks at the abstract big picture and as a result can produce internal dichotomies. I find there is a need to reconcile a lot of dichotomies inside myself - like a need to intimate connection, but a need for extreme space. Everyone experiences these things, but it's possible that it can be taken to a greater extreme with Ni. Also, concrete world is not categorized the same way for Ni. I've recently gone to some black metal concerts and I can see interesting similarities to a church service. They aren't opposite categories for me, but externally it would shock people who know me to realize the diversity of how I live or create art. People would be more confused by me the more they knew me because my internal sense of category is completely different from other people. My sense of fashion is a good example. I like clothing to serve somewhat as metaphors for the ethereal and lack of boundaries, preferring layered, sheer fabrics, uneven hemlines, etc, but I have moment of poor taste thrown in the mix that would shock someone with a Si fashion sense. It would be consistent with my internal world, but I think the Ni sense of how everything interconnects is different from the externally established connections.

These are just some ideas thrown out there and are not necessarily the definitive difference. Si could have external inconsistencies if that was part of the person's experience growing up. I think Ni can have more inconsistencies with their own history.

Yes Fia, living with one in consistency and being the same does work out for them. To me it seems so unnatural for lack of a better word to do the same thing or see the same structure everyday but yet they feel content with it. Black metal or not (I haven't been to a concert like that, I'd afraid I'd get thrown into a moshpit helpless lol) church leaders always say the same things over and over again, I'm like in my mind would Jesus him being typed as INFJ find this enjoyable? No, he'd continue doing his own thing and telling people to follow his example. Which is a weird situation to think about, since so many Christians follow this routine style, how would it change the world's religious lifestyle of living? Alas, that is for another thread lol.

The difference between ISFJ and INFJ is basically the difference between Si and Ni.

Si looks back. ISFJ says, "Look what has BEEN and see how it affects what IS.'

Ni looks forward. INFJ says, "Look what IS and predict what WILL be."

Also, Si is more concrete. Therefore, ISFJs are more concrete. They are better at routine tasks and at small talk. They will discuss your kid's soccer game and the best way to make mashed potatoes with you.

Ni is more abstract. INFJs are better at inventing and are terrible at small talk, but ask one about something not commonly discussed and they'll be happy to oblige you. They really are bored to tears when you talk about your kid's soccer game and how you make mashed potatoes; even if they don't tell you.

Both give off an approachable vibe. However, ISFJs seem more down to earth while INFJs seem more aloof and spaced out.

Really like how you did this structure Ene. I'll take these concepts home haha. Unfortunately, I never even get to have those conversations because I am poor with small talk lol. It's so hard to find a talking buddy sometimes. It's so sad to see on the other side that what I talk about bores them to death too lol. But yeah when I took a cooking class I just kept thinking about the end result and just wanted to eat all the small steps were so boring. :laugh:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually find this example (and many like it) to be unreliable and misleading.

I'm ENFJ, but I love small talk. Of course on topics of mutual interests, but I still enjoy it. Always have. It can be on the most mundane things as well. I've met INFJ's before who felt the same. The whole idea of wanting to talk shallow or deep is really not type restricted.

That said, there is a "quality" difference that is difficult to put to words. I noticed this difference when I met [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] in person (an ESFJ and a parallel contrast). I tended to be more "comfortable" delving into deeper things that my ilicit internal unknowns or scary things, and whether them fairly well, whereas she was not as apt to do so, or didn't find it as enjoyable as I did (I'm thinking of the dreams conversation you, I, and [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] had). However, I'd argue she's much more philosophical than I am.

I think a better difference between SFJ and NFJ is comfort with different areas, and the desire to get into them.

That's because [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] is an INTJ in disguise. ( [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] ;) )

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I just really don't generally remember my dreams for more than like a day. I'm also not superstitious at all, so that may have contributed to the impression.

Are you saying I'm more philosophical, or EJCC?

That's because [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] is an INTJ in disguise. ( [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] ;) )

Me, INTJ? :rofl1: