• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs(maybe SFs too?) and "emotional absorption"

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm sure this must happen to a lot of you, for example you guys are witnessing a fight in the street and will feel uneasy for an hour or two even though you had nothing to do with the fight and might actually become agressive yourself in other to "purge" the emotion. You're pretty much like a sponge...
It's quite annoying actually, I remember watching a documentary where someone had been attacked and gotten his hand cut off by rebels in Haiti I believe I felt a weird sensation in my arm and was paranoid for the next four days o.o.
Or for example someone tells you about something painful and you get tingly all over, weak in the knees for example. Happens to me all the time, I saw three minutes of SAW III with a friend thinking: ha, I can handle it.
I still remember the scene....disgusting, I decided to stay away from violent and scary movies forever after that. Does anyone else have to literally shut themselves off from the world periodically before they lose their sanity?:)

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I normally don't react physically to practically anything... but if I see graphic depiction of violence, demorphisms or injuries I become pale and tingly and my heart starts racing and I start sweating and shivering.

I also have to stay very, very far away from violent movies. Horror is a big NO. :D

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
The more emotional someone else is, the less emotional I become. The less porous my sponge becomes.

Usehername

On a mission
My ENFJ friend talks about this sponge sort of stuff and while I can conceptually understand it... I can't imagine being that affected by a movie or book, like she can.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ENFJ friend talks about this sponge sort of stuff and while I can conceptually understand it... I can't imagine being that affected by a movie or book, like she can.

It's as much a gift as it is a curse, it's why I don't read on the bus unless I'm wearing sunglasses :blush:

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Yeah, I've known NFs who, for example, refused to watch violent or bloody films with me, and get in a bad mood if it ever does happen that we watched one. There is one who cannot see vomit or she will start retching. Yet she is not as bothered as I am by watching someone being bullied if she doesn't like the person.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I've known NFs who, for example, refused to watch violent or bloody films with me, and get in a bad mood if it ever does happen that we watched one. There is one who cannot see vomit or she will start retching. Yet she is not as bothered as I am by watching someone being bullied if she doesn't like the person.

Oh shit, I laugh during those... that might be a bad thing... :doh:

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Yeah, that is pretty much her reaction unless it is someone she otherwise likes or is neutral about.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*shrug* a lot of people laugh at Adam Sandler, I laugh at dipshits getting filled with hot lead *sigh* ><

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Mean! I knew you guys weren't made of sugar and spice and everything nice. :tongue:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mean! I knew you guys weren't made of sugar and spice and everything nice. :tongue:

*shrug* I'm not a chick either so I tend to get away with it... :D

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
*shrug* I'm not a chick either so I tend to get away with it... :D

;)
I'm a chick, so I use that to explain why it upsets me when I'm supposed to be weak F. Who said gender stereotypes were a bad thing? :cheers: My friend? Well, she's just weird.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP

Bwahaha, I do enjoy making my ennemies feel bad..makes me feel better:devil: I think we are keen on revenge, well maybe not all of us, just the evil nfs.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Bwahaha, I do enjoy making my ennemies feel bad..makes me feel better:devil: I think we are keen on revenge, well maybe not all of us, just the evil nfs.
Is that what your signature refers to? ;)
I think most people can sympathize with revenge, but I meant something different.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm sure this must happen to a lot of you, for example you guys are witnessing a fight in the street and will feel uneasy for an hour or two even though you had nothing to do with the fight and might actually become agressive yourself in other to "purge" the emotion. You're pretty much like a sponge...
It's quite annoying actually, I remember watching a documentary where someone had been attacked and gotten his hand cut off by rebels in Haiti I believe I felt a weird sensation in my arm and was paranoid for the next four days o.o.
Or for example someone tells you about something painful and you get tingly all over, weak in the knees for example. Happens to me all the time, I saw three minutes of SAW III with a friend thinking: ha, I can handle it.
I still remember the scene....disgusting, I decided to stay away from violent and scary movies forever after that. Does anyone else have to literally shut themselves off from the world periodically before they lose their sanity?:)

Speaking to an Fe-primary, it's a constant battle to shove other peoples' feelings OUT of my body. I consider myself to be resilient, not tough, so in no way can I stand around watching something horrible happen happen to another being without it doing significant psychological damage. I may remain calm and functional through something like a crisis, but not without severe fall-out later. It's much like being forced through sympathy pains for everyone's hypothetical pregnancy.

I can't watch realistic harm come to humans or animals. It goes into me like a knife. Real peril activates my rescuer. So no, I can't be exposed to such things on regular basis. I had an NT friend pitying me the other day because I have no choice about what emotions soak into me. Makes me feel like a walking target. That's why I require so much time to myself every day. Just off-loading/processing through what happened YESTERDAY.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Empathy. Wedekit talked about it.

Oh...so this post wasn't necessary ._.
Secretly I'm a wannabe T, then I could enjoy scary movies without having nightmares....xD. My t friends sure do :yes: I was always excited to go with them at first, I proposed the idea then I was too scared to do it again...kinda pathetic if you ask me :D

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh...so this post wasn't necessary ._.
Secretly I'm a wannabe T, then I could enjoy scary movies without having nightmares....xD. My t friends sure do :yes: I was always excited to go with them at first, I proposed the idea then I was too scared to do it again...kinda pathetic if you ask me :D

When you have the nightmares take control. Realize you're dreaming then start kicking the monster's ass. It's your dream, you're the one handing everyone their ass, not the other way around. :D

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
When you have the nightmares take control. Realize you're dreaming then start kicking the monster's ass. It's your dream, you're the one handing everyone their ass, not the other way around. :D

Actually looking back...I usually rarely have dreams unless something is bothering me. And usually they're nightmares for the most part! But I am wondering if there is a difference with display of emotion between enfx and inf because most people around me feel that I am unemotional when it's quite the opposite inside.:shock: Do you guys get that too? Only people very close to me are aware of that, the rest think of as very "t" (haha! yeah right...I wish though:smile:)

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am not an F, type but this happens to me as well.

I do have a fairly high Fi though. My Fe on the other hand is really low.

It doesn't happen all the time, but I find that emotions are "sticky" with me sometimes. By sticky I mean that if I put the book down or turn the TV off my emotional reaction lingers. Sometimes for hours or even days. My problem is not so much violent things but things that are sad, people dying, relationships ending, some personal tragedy.

I hear other women talking about loving sad movies, because they cry, but after that they feel better. They have catharsis. If I cry, either because of a movie or book or because something in my life is sad, I don't feel better afterward.

Books tend to do it for me more that TV. Especially if it is a series and I have "known" the characters for several books.

In general, I tend to experience a high level of emotion when I read. I never understood people who say that staying at home reading is "boring" because for me it is often an emotional rollercoaster.

Ilah