• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Why are you so quiet?

Tropics

MBTI Type
INFP
I am so sick of this question, it's usually asked like an accusation. It's like if you're not shooting your mouth off all the time and saying something and trying to get the attention everybody gets all concerned and sooner or later one of them asks THE question. It is so irritating because usually they are interrupting a very good train of thought. Does any other INFP's or other introverts get this?!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I usually get asked "Why are you gripping that knife so vigorously while staring into my eyes and twitching?" but yeah, that too.

heart

heart on fire
I get it all the time in offline life, like a broken record from hell.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I am so sick of this question, it's usually asked like an accusation. It's like if you're not shooting your mouth off all the time and saying something and trying to get the attention everybody gets all concerned and sooner or later one of them asks THE question. It is so irritating because usually they are interrupting a very good train of thought. Does any other INFP's or other introverts get this?!

Yeah, this annoys me too, though I haven't really encountered it since high school. It's as if it's my responsibility to be talking as much as the other person.

sassafrassquatch

I've always gotten that. People have always been telling me to smile, too. I should put a smile on their faces.

*chews knife blade.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:yes:

Always get the combination of "quiet" and "smile" as in your so quiet I don't know if you're ok unless you smile resulting in a demand for me to grin like a fool :steam:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Would you rather I yell? :huh:

Tropics

MBTI Type
INFP
I get the smile thing too, quite regularly and then like a "good little" INFP I oblige cause I don't want to hurt the persons feelings. Sometimes it gets me extremely cranky though and that smile IS NOT happening, I just ignore the person and act like I never heard but 9 times out of 10 I smile though. I need some backbone!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I was a teenager, another girl told me that I laugh too much. She said it was annoying. That made me self-conscious about it for a while but I just couldn't stop so I just said to hell with her and forgot about it.

The older I get the funnier things get too.

I also have never had the "why are you so quiet?" question. Mostly because I tend to gravitate towards quiet people (I like them a lot) and I guess I talk more than they do. When I get around really talkative people, I tend to not talk and listen to them.

I have asked the question to certain people before in the past though. :blush:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I am so sick of this question, it's usually asked like an accusation.

Better than "why won't you shut up?", isn't it? I've heard them both (and that I'm too loud), but in a more friendly tone. It never seemed like an accusation to me. I've also heard that I laugh too much, but then again I hear often that one of my good features is my laugh.

So, I dont bother to think about these things too much.

Snail

MBTI Type
INFP
I get "Why are you so quiet?" and "Why don't you smile?" all the time. In case anyone really wants the answer, I'm quiet because I don't have anything I feel like communicating right now, and I'm probably thinking about something interesting that I'd rather not talk about until I get it all worked out in my head. I'm not smiling because it's inauthentic to smile unless I feel like it, and I'd rather not be fake about my feelings. If I must smile to put you at ease, I will, because I aim to please. I just don't like being forced to choose between being honest and being kind, because I'd really like to be both.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i just realized how much i dislike overly extroverted people.
and i get it like its a sign on my head
" ask me about my laconic nature "

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because I have nothing to say on this tediously boring subject that won't be skipped over anyway...

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah me too, why don't you smile, why don't you talk. I don't have anything to say to them.o_O...Funny though I ask my enfp sister the opposite: why are you always talking to me? I want to be alone.She actually keeps talking xD....

sade

No one's ever asked, then again I sometimes warn people of it out of politeness.
Some have thought I just don't want to talk.
Once I received a comment that "I know you well enough not to get insulted by the quietness." Uhh? But that was my aunt, who is really extroverted as a person..

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, appearantly being quiet comes across as "I think i'm too good to talk to you..a.k.a snobbism" I went to do an internship in a restaurant once and well since I barely talked and came from a relatively good school they took it an as me being a snob or being disgusted my the kitchen o.o...

Tropics

MBTI Type
INFP
I get "Why are you so quiet?" and "Why don't you smile?" all the time. In case anyone really wants the answer, I'm quiet because I don't have anything I feel like communicating right now, and I'm probably thinking about something interesting that I'd rather not talk about until I get it all worked out in my head. I'm not smiling because it's inauthentic to smile unless I feel like it, and I'd rather not be fake about my feelings. If I must smile to put you at ease, I will, because I aim to please. I just don't like being forced to choose between being honest and being kind, because I'd really like to be both.

Ditto! You just summed it up perfectly for me right there, that's exactly how I feel!:)

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I am mostly quiet because it upsets me when people are loud. Plus calm almost always seems the logical approach.