• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] INFJ or INFP: what type is more compatible with ENFP?

INFJ/INFP: which type is more compatible with ENFP?

• Total voters

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The title is self-explanatory. According to you, between an INFJ and an INFP, who is the most compatible partner for an ENFP?

Rules:
1. Please dont tell me "type Z" when I've told you to choose between types "X" and "Y". I dont care if you think it's actually INTJ or ISFP.
2. Priority given to the NFs. Im not particularly interested in the opinion of an ISTP or ENTP or whatever
3. INFJs and INFPs, please do share your experience with us! :D
4. Maybe limit on the socionics, it gets confusing

From a theoretical point of view
1) is it easier for ENFPs to be compatible with INFPs, since the two types share the same functions and could therefore understand each other and feel understood?
OR
2) is it easier for ENFPs to be around another perceiver type (INFJ), who has all the mirror functions of the ENFP in the same order (Ne-Ni, Fi-Fe, Te-Ti, Si-Se) and who could possibly complement the ENFP more.

Im particularly interested in individual experiences, please share yours!

Thanks!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've only really spent a lot of time with INFPs. I find them very highly compatible. We speak the same language, we are capable of having similar goals. Although, so far, I haven't found that I'm attracted to them.

I've really only spent considerable time with one INFJ, she seemed very interested in me, but I couldn't for the life of me understand why, our interests were in alignment, but our values were completely different. That was a no go for me.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think an INFP might be a better match for an ENFP, due to the compatible cognitive functions. It seems that couples with different interests can still find matching communication styles, better foundations of mutual respect, etc. when they're seeing the world through the same filters (albeit in a different stacking).

I've really only spent considerable time with one INFJ, she seemed very interested in me, but I couldn't for the life of me understand why, our interests were in alignment, but our values were completely different. That was a no go for me.

Haha, this has been the problem I've had with INFPs. We get along when our interests are similar, but we pretty much need matching values in order to be good friends, so as to eliminate the possibility of explosive disagreements. I'm especially prone to encountering trouble with INFPs who have reactive Enneagram types, like Sixes and Fours. Something about overly sensitive Fi has a powerful way of testing my patience (just as, no doubt, my aux-Fe tests theirs).

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I vote INFP too. It is like speaking the same language, but with the introversion and different function order there's no boredom that can come when it feels like I'm talking to myself. And I really enjoy the cooler, more mysterious aura there is to them. :drool: With this INFP guy I knew, we could get into discussions about what we value while still keeping it funny and lighthearted and I loved that. It's like we both connect on this level where we're both serious but playful at the same time. I've been friends with another INFP guy for a long time and we can honestly talk about anything or do anything and enjoy ourselves no matter what. The difference is he's a little more held together and I'm less...not like he's uptight and I'm a slob but I'm more expressive even if it makes me look like a doofus while he kind of just looks at me like "the fuck you doing?" and laughs it off and kind of keeps his bigger emotions to himself. But the dynamic is enjoyable for us so it works.

Maybe I just have a bad track record with INFJs. Recently there's been this one girl (tested as INFJ and I buy it) who literally cannot stop talking about herself. Like...that's the only thing she's capable of talking about. Someone could bring up something about their life that they think relates to what she's saying and she'll just say "yeah" and redirect the conversation back to herself. I'm so annoyed by it as of late. :dry: I know this INFJ dude who is a family friend and he's nowhere near as bad. He's nice and gentle, but also he's bad at addressing his problems and he doesn't like listening to other people trying to offer him advice. To him there's only one single way to do things, and everything else kind of just gets tuned out.

A lot of people say INFPs are more self-absorbed because of the Fi vs Fe difference but I don't get that. But between all the INFPs I've known and all the INFJs I've known...the INFJs have bigger over-inflated egos which is more of a problem for me.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
You would expect an INFJ, but it is hard to know. Consider Enneatype as well. If we imagine stereotypes an INFP would probably struggle to rein in the ENFP's free-wheeling energy, and could have trouble being direct with them; INFJs are supposedly better at this but that is not my experience.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
INFJ is recommend with ENFP. INFJ and ENFP both share introverted intuition and extroverted intuition who share the same view of the world. I can make the same argument with INFJ and ENTP.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well Lenore Thomson says that INFP is the match for ENFP. Where Meyers Briggs (original) will say INFJ. I think Beebe said ... oh no wait you don't want to here about type Z :D

So I guess, one will have to understand where Lenore Thomson is coming from, some says that her definitions of functions are slightly different than Meyers... so maybe somebody else can share something.

--- side note ---

And I would say, if I had the opportunity to be with an ENTJ (following the Lenore here). I would take it. (my personal opinion). It's like the better version of me and vice versa. However I haven't been in a relationship with one, but I adore them. So I can't tell. (They all seem married from an early age) :dont: Off topic I know.

Who proclaims ISFP is the best for ENFP? That makes no sense.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP...eh, I am slow at discerning MBTI types for people I know. My brother might be ENFJ, my best childhood friend is ExTP, and my closest friends at the moment are all introverts.

There's a 4w3 guy I know that's probably ENFP, and we get along swimmingly in person. The issues we have arise in regards to punctuality, or respect for time, which he seems pretty unaware of. I'm not talking 10 minutes late, I'm talking postponing coffee for an hour right at the time we were supposed to meet, and then pushing it half an hour more after that. I actually really like the guy, I'm just really confused by our amiability in person juxtaposed with his aloofness and lack of outreach when we aren't in the same room. It's like he forgets you exist. I've had other friends mention frustration over this with him too though, so it's not strictly an ENFP-INFJ thing, I don't think.

Oh! I do have another ENFP friend! She's the sweetest, most fun, but also insightful person! We have a really strong connection, but as has been said, I think it's more about Enneagram than MBTI-- she's 7w6, Sx+So (not sure which first). Yeah, I'm going to pull a me and just chalk all of the chemistry stuff up to instincts. ;) Choose your INFx based on that. :D