• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Why Do Thinkers See Emoting and Thinking as Dichotomous Processes?

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
Carried over from here to start a new thread.

EDIT: Realizing a lot of people may not want to start of a thread by clicking on a link, I'll summarize.

Recent research in psychology has found that thought and emotion are not disparate processes but are instead interdependent. Emotion is particularly important in decision-making processes. One important book in the field is Descartes' Error.

And I'll add here that I think that understanding these advances is important in having a more accurate idea of the psychology of both "thinkers" and "feelers". It can help to avoid "stereotyping" as opposed to "typing".

I'll also add that I realize that feeling and Feeling are not the same in MBTI, but nonetheless many times I see both thinkers and feelers - but most often thinkers - conflating feeling with Feeling. I also see thinkers making the assumption that their own thought processes are relatively free of emotion. Whereas if Descartes' Error and other like research is correct, it is not only impossible but undesirable for human thought to be free of emotion.

Last edited:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Should you add the "immature" up there.. just in case...

redacted

a lot of heavy T users aren't accepted as normal in their childhood. so they look for internal validation, coming to the conclusion that "feeling people" are irrational. when they learn MBTI, they see the word "feeling" used to describe value judgments and subconsciously make the connection to their childhood annoyances/tormentors.

then they learn MBTI more and realize that feeling is necessary for thinking to even take place. they see the utility of value judgments and figure out that a balance between T and F is the goal.

i guess the correlation is probably there -- Fs (on average) immaturely express their value judgments more than Ts. but not by much. the conclusion certainly is not applicable to individuals anyway.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
a lot of heavy T users aren't accepted as normal in their childhood. so they look for internal validation, coming to the conclusion that "feeling people" are irrational. when they learn MBTI, they see the word "feeling" used to describe value judgments and subconsciously make the connection to their childhood annoyances/tormentors.

then they learn MBTI more and realize that feeling is necessary for thinking to even take place. they see the utility of value judgments and figure out that a balance between T and F is the goal.

Ay, those prejudices are what makes a Thinker's life hard. Or do you have proof to underline it, then I said nothing

sketcheasy

MBTI Type
ENFP
i think for the most part everyone's just playing a game of which is better...

doesn't matter. if you lean strong to one end, that just means you have to work on the other even more.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't think F types should be allowed to vote or make big decisions, but other than that they're pretty awesome.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I guess, when you tell a thinker that his emotions are scrumbled due to his youth and due to him being an idiot.

You are no feeler, because feeling I always connect with wisdom

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
Should you add the "immature" up there.. just in case...

I don't think it's about immaturity, though. I think it's about philosophical and psychological beliefs. I think it's quite possible to be mature enough not to really repress emotions, without even realizing it. And still imagine oneself to be mostly detached from emotion. Because our concepts will guide what we perceive and remember.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX

I think it's possible for people just to have a belief because of the lack of widespread popularity of the philosophical and psychological advances in understanding how thinking and emotions relate.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Did you really mean that ? I mean are you serious ?

Nah. I've just seen a lot of these threads lately... Bit tired of them.

I don't think it's about immaturity, though. I think it's about philosophical and psychological beliefs. I think it's quite possible to be mature enough not to really repress emotions, without even realizing it.

Aha, ok, thats a bit different view. Sure, this might even turn out to be interesting.