• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Why Do Thinkers See Emoting and Thinking as Dichotomous Processes?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok, now we're not being fair.

Thinkers are not the only ones to see a parallel in emotional and logic.

Also this thread is just trolling anyway...
There's no real answer to the question.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*shrugs* I do not see this thread as trolling - it is a fair question if thinkers *really* feel that way. I could never see thinking and feeling as two separate things: they are complemetary aspects that are both necessary to arrive at a conclusion. Right???

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, now we're not being fair.

Thinkers are not the only ones to see a parallel in emotional and logic.

Also this thread is just trolling anyway...
There's no real answer to the question.

That's because the real answer is extremely boring and couldn't fill a whole page. It goes like this: "they misunderstood the theory".

If anyone wants to discuss why people misunderstand theories, then you'd better start that thread in the philosophy forum.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's because the real answer is extremely boring and couldn't fill a whole page. It goes like this: "they misunderstood the theory".

If anyone wants to discuss why people misunderstand theories, then you'd better start that thread in the philosophy forum.

Hey that's a good idea - shall you start it? :D

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX

I think you're right that people do misunderstand the theory. As Hap has pointed out, the names lend themselves to this misunderstanding. I saw you suggest somewhere else that maybe instead of thinking and feeling, the names would be better as logic and ethics. I think that would be an improvement. But I think all the humanities and arts, not just ethics, have a lot to do with what MBTI calls feeling. Also, there is a lot more to reason than logic. Not to dicker about it too much, because I liked where you were heading and what your intention was.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Has anyone actually read one of Damasio's books? That was what the thread was based on right?

I think that there is a lot of interesting discussion that could be had about Descartes Error or Looking for Spinoza and how it relates to MBTI and psychology in general.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
as if YOU were in the first place. Why don't you shut up.
28vrb61.jpg

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jack, you calm down and be a good little boy, now. :D

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
Has anyone actually read one of Damasio's books? That was what the thread was based on right?

I think that there is a lot of interesting discussion that could be had about Descartes Error or Looking for Spinoza and how it relates to MBTI and psychology in general.

Thanks, I agree. I think my title and timing stood out more than the topic. I have not read the whole book, but I have read part of it. As I recall emotion is crucial for decision-making, but not overwhelming emotion. Overwhelming emotion does not help cognitive processing. Moderate emotion not only can help thinking but is necessary for making decisions.

When you think about it, thinking without any emotion at all will just lead to analysis, analysis and more analysis. It will be never-ending. Also, when you think about it, emotion helps to guide focus. Emotion of liking or disliking something helps us pay attention to it. Emotions such as a feeling of urgency or impact help us make decisions. I guess those are the obvious examples. Other ways emotions interact with thinking are more subtle, I'm sure.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes I'm reading Looking for Spinoza right now another Damsio book. One of the interesting things I got was his concepts of Emotions being sort of the physiological precursor to Feelings( mental processes). Basically you view everything through a lens of those emotions. when you're sad or depressed your heart and stomach sinks, your thoughts are slower and more descriptive, you run loops, critically analyze. When your happy you get a rush of thoughts in quick succession, have positive outlooks on things, feel different body sensations.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
I think this makes a lot of sense, since we human beings are biological beings. Emotions and sensations are part of our filter, and I think it takes more than the intellect to try to become more free of emotions that are blocking happiness or truth in some way. I think it takes some sort of a discipline or method that involves the body and the deeper levels of the psyche. For some people it might involve therapy of some kind. It could also involve meditation or psychedelics or art or other things. I guess what I mean is a sort of "cleansing the doors of perception" thing.

I think INTPs who get involved in some sort of discipline have a lot of potential to free their minds in this way maybe more easily than some other types provided they do not have some sort of psychological trauma or scarring to deal with.

But what frankly scares me about this type of process at its most extreme is that people who really pursue it become transpersonal. Then it seems like they do not have the perspective of a living human being anymore. It seems like they have a perspective that I would associate with the dead or with a non-human fictional entity such as an alien or a demon. I guess that is the NF in me feeling some revulsion at completely transpersonal or impersonal thinking. Yet I also find it fascinating when somebody appears to have somewhat achieved it.