• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Extraverted feeling and introverted thinking processes in INFJs functional stack

Darlene

MBTI Type
INTJ
There might be already a few threads about this topic in this forum. The reason for this post are those many contradictory and inconsistent arguments and discussions I've seen in some web forums, concerning NF's, or in this case, especially INFJ's usage of its third, introverted thinking process and how it can, may, can not or may not manifest itself, so I decided to to ask your opinions about this matter anyway.

About the introverted thinking process...
Recently I found an interesting argument from an MBTI-related website when going through INFJ-related posts. They claimed that INFJ uses Fe more than they think in logical reasoning, as opposed to using Ti. What I know from myself, I would claim this is only half the truth. I don't know of all INFJs there though. While Fe is supposed to be able to do logical reasoning in its terms as a feeling function, by its human terms-objective framework and concerning human values, I still question the statement whether or not an INFJ is using Fe for tasks requiring abstract logic.
When I engage in certain hobbies of mine, as they require the use of abstract logic, I assume I'm using Ti for logical reasoning though, not Fe. I base this to an obsevation, and as far as I have understood, Ti is using inductive reasoning, as opposed to Te which uses deductive reasoning. When facing a logical dilemma (which is completely detached from any human-related connection), I tend to approach and analyse it first in terms of inductive reasoning - my question is, is Fe supposed to do that (as claimed in the post I found). I remember reading from somewhere that when INFJ engages in introverted thinking process (=as it shuts down the opposite function Fe, according views stated by one personality website, I'm not sure wheter or not I agree with that), it is something that doesn't feel quite comfortable and you have to sometimes even strain and push yourself to engage in to that process, say, for example to mathematical reasoning. At first, I find this is true. It is not perhaps easy, but once you have pushed yourself over the threshold, it starts to feel comfortable and actually very enjoyable. But it by no means is compared to my flow state, which is when enaging in Ni-Fe activity. The problem with Ti using, with me at least, seems to be it's tendency to overly concentrate on details first, and not on the big picture. My Ti seems to be more in its comfort zone, when analyzing things that subjectively matter to me, but it is not restricted to that however. Objective, abstract reasoning, which is not restricted to subjective views is possible to me as well, I'm just trying to figure out its source.

About naivety in thinking and extraverted feeling...
Another thing I've been thinking about, is how I've seen comments claiming how naive thinking INFJs' worldviews presents, or that INFJ's thinking comes across as naive in general. I admit, in some cases or sometimes this can be true, I agree with that, but as in general... not that much. If I dream about something, I tend to idealize how things should be or could be, but I consider myself to be realistic too, as not expect my dreams and ideals to necessarily manifest in reality the way I pictured them. I don't like generalizations in terms of different personality types, as it narrows the view too much to see the different deviations from the main stream. My question is however, do you consider the INFJs you now as naive in their judgements, or in their thinking in general?
I know Ti is the third function in INFJ's functional stack, and it can never be in the same position and have the influence as it has in NTs' functional stacks. Apparently, it can never achieve the place where it can function as coherently and in such an innovative style as it works with intuitive thinkers. Perhaps in general it is that some INFJs are able to fields where the intuitive way of using abstract logic is crucial, but the majority of them probably thrive somewhere else. When it comes to INFJs in general, of course, Ni-Ti can work together to certain extent, and in my case I think it is what makes me able to or even attracted to the topics and those hobbies I have. Perhaps the Ti in INFJ's thinking represents itself as more mechanical way and more linked to Fe and Se than Ni? I'd like to hear your points to this as well.

As much as I like my Fe too, as in me it manifests by being polite and considerate to people in general and very warm to people that matter to me personally, I have to admit, that in the rough paths and patches of life it has been the element which have made me vulnerable as well. Fe seems to be the process that in many cases makes you liked by others, but the other side of the coin seems to be that it makes you vulnerable. I have found that using Ti balances me, in a good way, and to be used along with Fe, it works quite well. I wonder however the naivety question though - how much the INFJ lacks the ability to gasp the overall picture and general view of subject matters, if Fe is not engaged in the process, and to what extent can Ni-Ti draw objective, consistent conclusions on their own.
Perhaps the naivety of thinking in some cases is an outcome of thinking in Fe-Ti terms in a way that one can't switch the viewpoint from subjective to objective analysis. Possibly to some extent, a Fe-Ti user may exclude and miss some crucial points and facts from the overall picture (by thinking in terms of subjective standpoint), that, for example a Te-Fi user would not do, and thus resulting somewhat naive judgements and thinking of things in general. I'd like to hear your considerations of these as well.

Last edited: