• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Why do some thinkers demonize feelers?

Why do some thinkers demonize feelers

• Total voters

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
They just don't understand how feelers make decisions.
They're big meanies!
Feelers demonize thinkers in private instead of openly.

I think that if a feeler gets demonized by a thinker it's usually because he doesn't understand or can't accept the feelers conclusion to a subject. We could perceive you as irrational and not contributing to our thought processes.

Then there's the fact that a thinker will assume you can take criticism and not take it personal while a feeler will be more aware of other people's emotions.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Learn to formulate criticism properly then :coffee:

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Because we contradict each other, and thinkers are probably more apt to express their views without worrying about the emotional backfire (which I admire because that's like, impossible for me).

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Feelers demonize thinkers in private instead of openly.

Either you're new here or haven't read through many of the channels. I assure you, there's plenty of open demonization on both sides of the fence. It's unfortunate.

hommefatal

Either you're new here or haven't read through many of the channels. I assure you, there's plenty of open demonization on both sides of the fence. It's unfortunate.
private demonization isn't any better, is it?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why do you think I'm a teacher? I'll never be unemployed. :devil:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I've often reflected on the fact that no perfectly, or universally satisfying words can be found for the functions. Someone will always complain that they sound wrong in one way or another, and those who rely on connotation are especially difficult to satisfy.

But I did come up with one idea that I at least think is better than Thinking and Feeling, which are highly ambiguous. My idea was that it might be better to call them Logic and Ethic. Logical and Ethical. Of all the words I could think of, none seemed to more closely match the definitions of Thinking and Feeling than logic and ethic. It is what the two functions principally deal with.

I partially agree. I think the designation should be logic and emotion. Let me explain:

I use logic and emotion to check how my thought process jibes with my values, and also how they fit together. Feelings/Values/Logic are the three components of desicion making (I am referring to decisions about human based problems, not simple logical problems). The best decision is emotionally satisfying, reasonable and supports my values. They will never be in perfect balance, but that imbalance is a signal to go back and reassess.
I think that feelers may short-change the logical part of the process in deference to support of values and emotion, thinkers leave out emotions. These omissions can be obvious to the intelligent observer, because it will seem that something has been omitted, or that something else has entered into the equation; hence the frequent sense that there is another motivation involved that is beyond those three parameters.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Simple lack of understanding "the other" is always the dominant reason why people have prejudice against someone who is different than they are.

However, I think that there are a variety of reasons why different individuals would demonize feelers. Some really are immature or emotionally undeveloped. I was surprised how many Ts had extremely low scores on the EQ test. I'm not saying some EQ test on the Intertardz is the best tool to gauge these things, but there were too many Ts with scores below 90 or it to be a coincidence.

Others are just insecure, and try to throw their intellect around as if it's some proof of their manhood (or womanhood) like a pissing contest.

Some really buy into the stereotypes: I actually witnessed someone in a thread today quip that anything feelers say should be taken with a grain of salt because our thinking is "instinctual" at best. The irony in an arrogant T making that glaring error of a statement speaks for itself.

Still others might just be...you know, kidding. Some Ts are probably just joking around.

Not all Ts are like this, it goes without saying. I'm sure much of it is good natured joshing.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The idea that feeling always equals emotions to some people bothers me. My reasoning process does not feel "emotional". When I feel emotional, I recognize it and don't just run with it. I can think, "I may feel this way, but logically I know that is true".

I am an emotional person, yes, but I am not totally run by emotions, and I think Feeling is a much more refined and complex function than simply feeling "happy" or "angry" or whatever.

I would say that thinkers use logic and feelers use discernment. One is sort of black & white, and the other is colored, and each has its advantages in reasoning out what is true and what is false.

G

garbage

Feeling is not correlated with Neuroticism

wolfy

awsm

Feeling has nothing to do with emotions.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
My only issue with feelers is that it can be frightening when your attempts to lead them come up with opposite results.

Srho

MBTI Type
INFX
Just voted "They confuse emotion with the MBTI definition of feeler" and "I'm a feeler and I think feelers suck too" (making sure to answer the question as well as assert my own opinion on feelers). I prefer feelers on paper, but thinkers in reality. All the manuals and stuff out there say INFPs should hate thinkers, constantly get hurt by them, and get along the best with ENFJs for romance and other introspective INFPs for everything else. While I'm like that sometimes, I generally like to be with thinkers, we are more comfortable in each other's heads than if we were just mirrors of each other.

Also pointing out, it's not as if there is a clearly defined boundary in MBTI explanations between extraversion and feeling.

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
The idea that feeling always equals emotions to some people bothers me. My reasoning process does not feel "emotional". When I feel emotional, I recognize it and don't just run with it. I can think, "I may feel this way, but logically I know that is true".

I am an emotional person, yes, but I am not totally run by emotions, and I think Feeling is a much more refined and complex function than simply feeling "happy" or "angry" or whatever.

I would say that thinkers use logic and feelers use discernment. One is sort of black & white, and the other is colored, and each has its advantages in reasoning out what is true and what is false.

I agree and I think you've nailed the difference. I was trying to explain this to a former lover who is a T but I couldn't find the words to explain the F function in a way he could understand. He doesn't see how feeling and intuition can be used to make a decision because facts are everything to him.

syndatha

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I think it's because they don't understand how feelers make decisions. It's not like I don't think - I just feel too. Some thinkers seem to confuse thinking with intellect, but feelers are not unintelligent.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Because the primary use of non quantizable and non standardized items in the process of decision making spells 666 in numerology. We're onto you.

*votes 'because they're big meaning*