• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Why do some thinkers demonize feelers?

Why do some thinkers demonize feelers

• Total voters

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I wonder about this, too. Some Ts do seem to really vilify Fs, and it seems unreasonable to me.

I'm very much a T. When I do get hit with emotions on occasion, especially if they're negative, I often don't know what they mean, or where they came from. And I have a difficult time arranging them in my mind and making sense out of them. I don't have any meaningful handles to attach to them. Later, when I'm no longer feeling them, I can't for the life of me remember what my process was in dealing with them, how I came to the conclusion that I did, or sometimes even what conclusion I came to. It's all evaporated. Basically, I'm an incompetent boob at processing that kind of stuff.

Personally, I admire Fs and their adeptness at processing this stuff. I wish I had more of their skillz. Of course, there are some immature, impulsive, irresponsible Fs, just like there are a some immature, impulsive, irresponsible Ts.

It's been my experience that most of the time when someone vilifies another type, whether it's a specific type, or all SJs, or whatever, it's because they've had a bad experience with one or two individuals of that type (a coworker they can't stand, a relationship with an ex that went badly, etc.). They then myopically project the specific, personal character traits of that one person onto their entire type class. I suspect this may be behind some Thinkers' antipathy toward Feelers. The neighbor's German Shepherd bit me, so German Shepherds can't be trusted. Or even, dogs can't be trusted.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
I dislike when people is too emotional, myself included. I prefer the logical and objective analysis, but I think that listening to a Feeler point of view is interesting too. Sometimes I can't process my feelings with logic, and the support and advice from Feelers helped me a lot.
I don't dislike or demonize the F function, instead, I'd like to be able to have that perspective too. Dealing with people is necessary, and a F approach may help more than a T one, since there are more Feelers than Thinkers (at least, I know more Feelers than Thinkers).

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm a Thinker and I don't vilify the Feeling function or the people who use it. So there! :alttongue:
(I know, you said 'some' thinkers, but I wanted to use that emoticon)

And these two options, in the context of the MBTIc forum, really boil down to the same basic problem:

"They just don't understand how feelers make decisions."

"They confuse emotion with the MBTI definition of feeler."

The fundamentalist Thinkers, as I will be calling them to differentiate them from us more moderate folk, just don't appreciate the very broad nature of the reasoning process.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
There is nothing wrong with feelers from my perspective as a NT. Maybe it is from my low T level, but I enjoy the perspective some feelers put towards a problem and that their principles sometimes have good factors I need to take into account before making a decision. I like having a complete understanding before solving a problem, and NF's add to that understanding in very unique ways. Do I always go with their views, no. Have I changed my mind before from their perspective, yes.

On the other side, SF feelers can annoy me, but I think it's the S part more then the F when it comes to decisions.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
On the other side, SF feelers can annoy me, but I think it's the S part more then the F when it comes to decisions.
Heh. That raises a good point. I can sometimes have difficulty in dealing with someone who is extreme S. I think an NT and an NF may have more interpersonal common ground than and NT and an ST.

Perhaps a more relevant thread may be, "Why do some intuitives demonize sensors?"

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
Heh. That raises a good point. I can sometimes have difficulty in dealing with someone who is extreme S. I think an NT and an NF may have more interpersonal common ground than and NT and an ST.

Perhaps a more relevant thread may be, "Why do some intuitives demonize sensors?"

I would interject that it is because N and S are the PRIMARY way your personality thinks, processes, and communicates, which then effects the rest of your personality tributes. If you don't have the same starting base, it is hard to connect in any other way at times. It appears foreign in an uncomfortable way.

N's are also a minority so we may have bias against society.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The fundamentalist Thinkers, as I will be calling them to differentiate them from us more moderate folk, just don't appreciate the very broad nature of the reasoning process.

Quite some good sentence, you can connect with some others topics in life aswell.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
I would interject that it is because N and S are the PRIMARY way your personality thinks, processes, and communicates, which then effects the rest of your personality tributes. If you don't have the same starting base, it is hard to connect in any other way at times. It appears foreign in an uncomfortable way.
I agree.

N's are also a minority so we may have bias against society.
Thems S's. They's breedin' like rabbits.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I am enjoying reading this. It's refreshing to hear mature attitudes towards differences in stye.

Bottom line for me? It's a matter of good mental hygiene.

Edit: And hey, St. Cloud!

Last edited:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
BTW -- LOL, Carebear and I are like survey answering *twins*! ^^ Read results.

I think the survey choices answer in part the full answer.

Honestly, in terms of forums, the interwebz attracts a lot of disenfranchised people. Hahahahaha. Or rather, people with an axe to grind, who seek refuge, etc. etc. etc.

It also attracts a lot of young folks, people who are still developing their social skills, still figuring themselves out, still growing up basically.

And it especially attracts a lot of youngish single NT males.

SO basically add that all up, and you'll get kids who are pissed off at bossy 'Fs' and people IRL who they feel set upon them with irrational emotionally expressive ways. They want a soothing place where they don't have to deal with this kind of person or really kind of interaction, where the quiet and order of online communication strips everything to the logic and predictability and safety of words and methodical ideas.

Yes?

No?

I just liked typing that, I was in the middle of doing writing exercises, sorry.

So in other words, the forum attracts a good portion of NTs who basically rail at the reality of RL and how ill-equipped they feel with dealing with 'emotional bullies' and energy wasters.

But IMHO, the animosity against 'F' is very misplaced. Along the lines of what peopel said, confusing cognitive function Fe/Fi with 'unadulterated emotional outbursts and tantrums'. Self-work would go a lot more towards making the 'F' haters more confident and better able to interact with the world, including all those crazy emotive expressive types.

FWIW, I don't like whiners, martyrs, the moody, emotional bullies, etc. either, however honestly I find IRL 'F' and 'T' is just as likely to be one of the above.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think so as well, CzeCze. Any personality type can be maladjusted - it's an equal opportunity deal. Wacko brain chemistry and child abuse show no favorites. And for genuine satisfaction in living all personality types will require fine-tuning over the years of changes.

I've spent nearly all my time since membership exploring INFP Global Chatter and am delighted to meet so many others whose minds work similar to mine.

Too much of a good thing can become bland after a while, and in spite of a few warnings to beware of the lack of manners which can manifest itself here, I've decided to visit more frequently and enjoy the diversity.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
It's because very emotional people sometimes don't respond to reason, which leaves us helpless when dealing with them. It's that simple I think. E's, S's, and J's have tendencies that I don't like so much either, but it doesn't mean I don't like people with different mbti functions than mine.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I second Cafe's approach.

Conceptually, most link the term with irrationality and/or a fragile intellectual state held forever captive by unpredictable, naked passion.

Then again, most people are stupid.

I couldn't love you more, Night and Cafe.
Idiots. argh.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Eh, I think thinkers who are opposed to feelers are underdeveloped or immature, and therefore regard their own feeling shadow as a source of animosity. That, plus they tend to misunderstand 'feeling' as 'extreme, over-the-top melodramatic insanity'.

But this was probably mentionned earlier, I'm just too lazy to read the entire thread.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am hardcore T and my conclusion is this.

I do not get along with Fs too well in real life because I am too cold and dispassionet for them.

But why would I attack them?

Even in the case that thinkers are right they can't do anything about it.
(I don't count neuroscience)

Feelers are feelers and they will stay feelers even under pressure, which is probably creating even more feelings then it is normal.

From logical point of view there is a good probability that by beign more open and friendly towards them, you will push them more towards the T.