• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Why do some thinkers demonize feelers?

Why do some thinkers demonize feelers

• Total voters

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've been on these forums for a while and it seems like every month or so I see some thread asking why feelers suck or why we need feelings or something like that. (And that is not even counting the ones started by BlueWing.) On top of that even outside the forum I see people complain about feeling type behavior more than vice versa. As a thinker I have to admit that I don't really understand my own kind on this issue, so I thought I'd come to the NF forum, i.e. those who understand people the best.

So feelers, please give me the straight dope. Why do there seem to be a lot of thinkers that demonize people with a feeling preference? Is it lack of socializing, confusion about MBTI, irrational fear of empathy, or something else entirely? Also why do fewer feelers seem to return in kind?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think "Feeling" is faulty nomenclature. People associate it with emotions and irrational emotionalism.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I second Cafe's approach.

Conceptually, most link the term with irrationality and/or a fragile intellectual state held forever captive by unpredictable, naked passion.

Then again, most people are stupid.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think it's a combination of a lack of maturity, and a mis understanding of MBTI. I'm not saying I totally understand it, I have a long way to go in both regards to maturity and understanding. At the same time I think their are feelers who demonize themselves based on these misconceptions. And I think their are thinkers who have an issue with a feeler realizes that it's not a good idea to demonize all feelers.

of course I could be totally wrong.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
Bwa ha ha, thank you!

Ironically, a true thinker would really be looking at feelers dispassionately and acceptingly rather than feeling negative emotions about feelers - apparently emotions such as disdain, fear, dislike, aversion, annoyance, etc.

Interesting you picked the word demonize. I don't know how deeply you thought about your word choice, but it is suggestive to me of projecting their disowned and distorted shadow onto feelers.

I wonder, though, if it ever works the other way. Do feelers ever act out thinker fantasies?;) (I guess that's another thread/poll.)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
When individuals are unwilling to acknowledge their responsibility in their state discontentment and their power to secure their own happiness, then they will be a source of radiant negative energy.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
When individuals are unwilling to acknowledge their responsibility in their state discontentment and their power to secure their own happiness, then they will be a source of radiant negative energy.

Ah that's what other individual's are for. To guide them possible ways out of discontentment

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
1) They're lame
2) We're an easy target
3) They confuse Feeling with feelings

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Sounds like we have got some things to work out then

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
Sounds like we have got some things to work out then

There are plenty of thinkers around here who don't have a problem relating to feelers and vice versa. I don't see a huge problem. I do see some recurrent arguments. For some reason I have to admit I enjoy these arguments. Does that make me an immature feeler, do you think? ;) It's probably a good thing I have so little computer time. :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
yea but I meant feelers hating thinkers.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
You are only demonized if you choose to be.

No.

Although you're simply trying to mechanize wordplay here, you're missing the point.

Blaming the victim is poor strategy.

heart

heart on fire
There are plenty of thinkers around here who don't have a problem relating to feelers and vice versa. I don't see a huge problem. I do see some recurrent arguments.

Yes and always by the same people. Most of the thinkers who chose to come here don't dislike Feelers.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There are plenty of thinkers around here who don't have a problem relating to feelers and vice versa. I don't see a huge problem.

I agree. :) There are a few individuals who've got some thing about Feeling, but I think most of the thinkers (and feelers) here are pretty nice and understanding of each other... or at least very open-minded.

I think most of the bad feelings, when I reflect upon my own experiences, comes from a place of defensiveness or lack of understanding. If I had a dollar for every time I've been called "heartless" by a feeler... and gave one away for every time I called a feeler "illogical", I think I'd be pretty even. (It's weird/disorienting to not comprehend someone's logical process.)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I gripe about people being illogical as much or more than I gripe about them being heartless. :laugh: