• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Why Immature F-ers give me the creeps?

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because the thread was originally titled "Why F-ers give me the creeps." and a moderator or the OP herself changed it after it became apparent that the object of the OPs contempt was not, in fact, the so-called "feeling judgment", but rather immature, unhealthy emotionality in others, who, as we all know, can be feelers or thinkers.

Oh I see. Thanks.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me (and the types I generally attract), debate is foreplay. So if I was already married, that would be trouble.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
About what ENFJs like to debate?

Curious.

Strangely enough, I don't like debating matters of the heart or subjective reasoning. When emotion gets too involved, I don't find it fun or enlightening. I find it painful and so subjective that debating is pointless. Subjective conversation is best when all parties are open and not in competition. I limit it to my friends and family.

I *do* enjoy a good tussle on intellectual matters, especially when the Tussler has a sense of fun and wants some friction. An ENTP I was involved with used to drag me into all sorts of debates, just to get my blood high. I caught on pretty fast that it was his way of getting excited. He liked me lit up, even when I was blasting massive holes in the side of his ship.

(High sea rescue, also foreplay. lol :D)

It seems he wanted me to take it to him - at one point I was worked into a real storm and was valiantly restraining myself (like a good little NF "should"), but he leaned down face to face and said, "Show me what you got, girl..." I totally let him have it, and he just couldn't stop smiling. lol HUGE glowing smile. It made his day. Creep! :D We were in competition for a lot of the same things and it was stride-for-stride between us, very enervating. He'd be #1 one day, only to be knocked off by me, and vice versa.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can also see how Feeling can be hard to explain. Fe is so "common" that most never need to learn how to explain it as "everyone" already "knows". Fi on the other hand is more along the lines of not having the symbols necissary to communicate the information accurately. Both of these issues can make a particular feeling judgement hard to explain.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It would be nice to have a full explanation of Fi. It seems so mysterious.

heart

heart on fire
Your link comes up: The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there maybe a typo in the link? If it is a better version of the book online, then I'd like to have the link. :)

sketcheasy

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, to seriously nit-pick, I think someone would be very hard-pressed to logically justify concluding that 2 + 2 = 7. :tongue:

But yes, I think most of use get your actual point. It's extremely problematic when someone has complete faith in their own grasp on logic, truth, and objectivity. A small pretence of fallibilism is important for people to be consistently realistic or just. Without it, one cannot learn, and cannot be persuaded. It's rather dangerous for themselves and others.

One must be able to examine themselves for error, and correct it when they see it. BlueWing himself only seems to admit error with petty mistakes, or more specifically mistakes that do not relate to logic. When it comes to logic and rationale, however, he both acts as if, and has essentially stated that, he knows the universal and true language of reason. It's actually this aspect that has constituted someone of the most vacuous aspects of his arguments.

sorry, i've been following this argument closely and i just came across this post.

so far i've very much agreed with a lot of your arguments but i'd just like to point out that you're 2+2=7 isn't necessarily off. there's a bit of a logical glass ceiling that exists. there is a limit to logic, especially human logic.

there are situations in math and science where 2+2 does not equal four. i mention this because it illustrates the fact that logic itself isn't infallible. when logic starts to contradict itself we find ourselves in the realm of the irrational, of the abstract. if you try to apply logic to it you will drive yourself insane because you will never find the answer. i believe the same applies to our decisions, society, and the individual.

we do not exist in a world of ideal situations, where 2+2=4. the normal rules of logic, rationality, and thinking are not sufficient in dealing with the complications of everyday life. a subjective, abstract way of coping with it is necessary to navigate life when we can no longer rely on our own finite minds. be it from God or natural selection, your emotions are there because they have some necessary function.

T

ThatGirl

Two couples exist now. They later have three childern between them. 2 and 2 equals seven. That's ENTP logic.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
ThatGirl, could you give us a description of an immature thinker? I'd like to know how that would appear to you.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
sorry, i've been following this argument closely and i just came across this post.

so far i've very much agreed with a lot of your arguments but i'd just like to point out that you're 2+2=7 isn't necessarily off. there's a bit of a logical glass ceiling that exists. there is a limit to logic, especially human logic.

there are situations in math and science where 2+2 does not equal four. i mention this because it illustrates the fact that logic itself isn't infallible. when logic starts to contradict itself we find ourselves in the realm of the irrational, of the abstract. if you try to apply logic to it you will drive yourself insane because you will never find the answer. i believe the same applies to our decisions, society, and the individual.

we do not exist in a world of ideal situations, where 2+2=4. the normal rules of logic, rationality, and thinking are not sufficient in dealing with the complications of everyday life. a subjective, abstract way of coping with it is necessary to navigate life when we can no longer rely on our own finite minds. be it from God or natural selection, your emotions are there because they have some necessary function.

Ah, yes, and my INFJ father made me aware of the problems with logic when I, as a 12 year old INFP/INXP daughter read a book on logic and discussed it with him. I was trying to get better at debating with my parents. And it worked. But soon I had everybody in the family calling everybody else out on overgeneralizations and oversimplifications. LOL

My father made me aware of the work of Godel. Really, are most NTs not aware of Godel? He proved the limits of math. The logical positivists also demonstrated the limits of logic in a different way. Those who always use the word logic would do well to look into Godel, logical positivism, and even things like fuzzy logic. Also emotional decisionmaking used in artificial intelligence.

Quote: Emotions are ordinarily conceived as irrational occurrences that cloud judgment and distort reasoning. This view is well entrenched, despite work in both philosophy and psychology that establishes a strong connection between emotion and cognition. During recent years there has been an explosion of research which indicates that rather than being natural adversaries, rational and emotional processes function together. Barnes and Thagard (in press) argue that emotions and inferences are both necessary when we empathize with other people. Social psychologists have explored the function of emotions in social perception and judgment (Forgas, 1991). But the interdependence of emotional and cognitive processes is perhaps most powerfully presented in recent neurobiological studies which establish that emotion is indispensable in rational decision making.

sketcheasy

MBTI Type
ENFP
right.

immature thinkers give me the creeps just as much as feelers do. i personally dislike both. you gotta develop both. i mean yeah, you're never gonna be 50/50 but what's important is that you as an individual learn the discipline not to be swept away by your emotions and to have the maturity to let logic and common sense allow you to deal with emotions. thinkers, emotions are great. they're good for you. don't be afraid of them and don't belittle them. emotions are what gives depth in the unfolding drama of life. the strongest individuals i know are the ones who are open about their emotions and are willing to up to them, especially the difficult ones. it is your guide when you can't find the answers on your own. you're only human.

your mind and your heart are both equally capable of leading you astray. what's logical and rational isn't always right or fulfilling. likewise, what feels good isn't always gonna make sense and that should indicate that you need to really examine what it is you're feeling and why you feel it. sometimes it means that you should take a step back and ignore it.

feeling and thinking are guides you use. how you react and interpret the messages they send you is what's important, not the functions themselves.

T

ThatGirl

right.

immature thinkers give me the creeps just as much as feelers do. i personally dislike both. you gotta develop both. i mean yeah, you're never gonna be 50/50 but what's important is that you as an individual learn the discipline not to be swept away by your emotions and to have the maturity to let logic and common sense allow you to deal with emotions. thinkers, emotions are great. they're good for you. don't be afraid of them and don't belittle them. emotions are what gives depth in the unfolding drama of life. the strongest individuals i know are the ones who are open about their emotions and are willing to up to them, especially the difficult ones. it is your guide when you can't find the answers on your own. you're only human.

your mind and your heart are both equally capable of leading you astray. what's logical and rational isn't always right or fulfilling. likewise, what feels good isn't always gonna make sense and that should indicate that you need to really examine what it is you're feeling and why you feel it. sometimes it means that you should take a step back and ignore it.

feeling and thinking are guides you use. how you react and interpret the messages they send you is what's important, not the functions themselves.

This just reminded me of Silent Bob

I agree well said

T

ThatGirl

ThatGirl, could you give us a description of an immature thinker? I'd like to know how that would appear to you.

Immature thinkers?

Hold very long grudges even if the feeling has passed because they rationalized their feelings into a logical truth.

Arrogant and self validating

Fail to view from opposing views if the have already decided on something

Stubborn

Obstinate

Condescending

? This all may sound bias maybe a feeler can shed a little light for this question?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Immature thinkers?

Hold very long grudges even if the feeling has passed because they rationalized their feelings into a logical truth.

Arrogant and self validating

Fail to view from opposing views if the have already decided on something

Stubborn

Obstinate

Condescending

? This all may sound bias maybe a feeler can shed a little light for this question?

Did just fine, Girl. I'd say the "arrogant and self-validating" is the worst bugaboo, esp for Ne/Te primaries. That internal loop starts up and there's no throwing the brakes on. I mean, why would you brake? You're the law unto yourself. Screw the rest of the world. Once that gets conquered, the other things tend to fall into place. I must say that as an ENFJ even I wrestle with grabs for power. That inner tyrant is lashed to tree most of the time.