• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs: What Is Your Opinion of "What Not to Wear"?

Love it or Hate it?

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Dislike

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 31.6%

• Total voters

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
i don't watch TV 'cause i'm a fashionable noncomformist hahaha just kidding
but no, i don't watch TV

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I felt this way. Kinda. But nobody forced them to go on the show, so they knew what they were in for at least.

That is true. I suppose I wouldn't truly understand someone who would voluntarily do such a thing.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have never watched this show and never will for this totally irrational reason:
Four years ago my roommate told me I should be on the show.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Nice responses so far! Initially, I was really curious to see what the idealists' reactions were to the entire concept of the show/the show itself. I for one, ABSOLUTELY cannot stand being told to either act or dress a certain way. I just wanna be ME! ;P

After I watched one episode I got a little annoyed by both of the hosts for their demeaning mentality (Stacy especially, I dislike her fashion sense- it's drab for my taste/she looks too corporate for me). Plus, I find it a little obnoxious for people to degrade others just because they choose to dress/act differently (especially from a brainwashing medium like television). It's like the entire show thrives on conformity, a black/white authoritarian mentality, which in a sense, being an "NF" myself, I am TOTALLY rebellious of.

One positive thing that I do like about the series is that it does actually help those who really want to seek out fashion advice. (Besides that the clothes are free, paid for the by the network, I think). I saw the original hosts from the British version. They seem playfully charming/much more charismatic (they dress pretty). They actually were funny. I liked them.

I'm for people being just themselves. In reality, if we were to tell people they can/can't dress a certain way that best expresses who they are, then they would just live a lie their entire lives, feeling not good enough, listening to others, not themselves. Be comfortable. So long as people are mindful in how they dress like when around elders/young children/their own siblings, they can dress whichever way they please. I say, "Live and let live!" :)

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I have to say I truly love this show. I am NOT a t.v. person at all and I especially dislike reality based shows...do we not have lives...BUT I must say how must say this show is a favorite. I don't think so much of myself and my fashion sense that I wouldn't allow someone to tell me what they think would look good on me. I think they consider most of their guests lifestyles and personalities...I'm not going to defend it because to each his own but not for nothing every single one of the shows I've ever seen has been to the benefit of the person they restyled. Some episodes even leave me a little misty...I know...I know lame but seriously...they really do help some people with at least a bit of their self esteem. I'd rather watch this than any of the other TRULY lame reality shows..and most of the sitcoms too.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'm curious as to how many NFs really enjoy watching the US's version of "What Not to Wear," starring co-host Stacy London.

I like the original UK version better. The women are SO much cattier and the it's more in your face. Their advice is more applicable IMHO. I bought their book too.

The US version I like for the glam factor.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I am NOT a t.v. person at all and I especially dislike reality based shows...do we not have lives...BUT I must say how must say this show is a favorite.
LoL. Seriously. I remember back in 2002 telling myself, "I would NEVER over my dead body be caught watching reality T.V. shows. They're so DUMB." Now, I catch myself watching 2: Tori/Dean & Jon & Kate Plus 8. I seriously have no life.. (Although, the Wild on E! was about the only reality TV show I liked most back then, starring Brooke Burke- she had this coolness about her)!

I like the original UK version better. The women are SO much cattier and the it's more in your face. Their advice is more applicable IMHO.
I agree. They're catty, but funny/light-hearted at the same time. They also get to the point and offer useful advice. I like them. Go Brits!

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I like what not to wear, and i love clinton, but i really can not stand Stacy. I swear to god if she says "SHUT UP" one more time i will stab her in my dreams.

VanillaCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
No! I hope they didn't get rid of him. Without him, Stacy is just annoying! I do love that show... Too bad I don't get it on my cable for some weird reason. That and VH1, but I have everything else.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i don't watch TV 'cause i'm a fashionable noncomformist hahaha just kidding
but no, i don't watch TV

:high five:

I also do not watch TV. Couldn't be bothered. IT's just a bunch of nonsensical jibberish garbage anyway. Look, just get a DVD player, and you can watch movies all you like and HELL you can choose your own shows.

If you want news, go online or listen to the radio. See. No TV necessary.

And then you don't have to pay the German tax for TV. Muahhahahahahaha.

:cheese:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nice responses so far! Initially, I was really curious to see what the idealists' reactions were to the entire concept of the show/the show itself. I for one, ABSOLUTELY cannot stand being told to either act or dress a certain way. I just wanna be ME! ;P

After I watched one episode I got a little annoyed by both of the hosts for their demeaning mentality (Stacy especially, I dislike her fashion sense- it's drab for my taste/she looks too corporate for me). Plus, I find it a little obnoxious for people to degrade others just because they choose to dress/act differently (especially from a brainwashing medium like television). It's like the entire show thrives on conformity, a black/white authoritarian mentality, which in a sense, being an "NF" myself, I am TOTALLY rebellious of.

One positive thing that I do like about the series is that it does actually help those who really want to seek out fashion advice. (Besides that the clothes are free, paid for the by the network, I think). I saw the original hosts from the British version. They seem playfully charming/much more charismatic (they dress pretty). They actually were funny. I liked them.

I'm for people being just themselves. In reality, if we were to tell people they can/can't dress a certain way that best expresses who they are, then they would just live a lie their entire lives, feeling not good enough, listening to others, not themselves. Be comfortable. So long as people are mindful in how they dress like when around elders/young children/their own siblings, they can dress whichever way they please. I say, "Live and let live!" :)

AMEN, I mean WTF?!?!?! Why do wanna give someone else control over my damned style, body, etc.? Okay, if a friend or family gives me a nice tip and says, "Hey, that looks really nice." or "why don't you try this" That's cool. But some A-hole on the TV telling me "Hey, that looks like crap." or "Dude, you need a makeover because you look like s*it" Nahhh. No way.

And then do you notice??? They buy this crap that looks like what my dog gets rid of after eating five pounds of potato salad and it all costs like Five BILLION dollars. So everyone who looks like the woman says, "DAMN, I need to get that!!!" So it's all a big - drumroll - ADVERTISING SHOW. And people actually accept this. And like it. And get addicted to it.

And then my family starts in and says, "You should go on the show. You should watch it. Then you would know how to dress." And I tell them, "Up yours, I'm wearing what I want." GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Crazy consumer farts!!!

Okay, I don't REALLY say that to my family. I say, "No I would rather not watch it. Not my thing." I'm thinking, "STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

So, yeah. No.

DISLIKE. With capital letters.

LunaIndigo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I love WNTW! I don't watch it religiously, just during the marathons sometimes. Clintons my favorite between the two hosts. Some people on the show actually aren't that bad but there are some horror stories from that show. Like that one girl who hadn't washed/combed her hair in over 10 years and had dreads (not the pretty kind either, but the really thick and ratty kind) that weighed nearly 2 pounds after being cut. Ew.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
:high five:

I also do not watch TV. Couldn't be bothered. IT's just a bunch of nonsensical jibberish garbage anyway. Look, just get a DVD player, and you can watch movies all you like and HELL you can choose your own shows.

If you want news, go online or listen to the radio. See. No TV necessary.

And then you don't have to pay the German tax for TV. Muahhahahahahaha.

:cheese:

I love my tv, and I am proud to have my mind rot so I can watch it *hugs tv set* I don't watch it 24 hours but, I will never give it up NEVAR!!! except maybe if I go both blind and deaf.

CharmedFantasy

MBTI Type
IxFJ
I've watched it a couple of times. At first I really hated the show because I saw Stacey and Clinton teasing and putting the person down because of what they wear(they probably need to act like that to make the show entertaining). The reason being I didn't think clothes matter that much and they should wear what they waaant. But after watching a few more, I saw how some people were actually happy and learned from the experience towards the end. Sooo I guess it's not all baaad. My favorite part is the end! where you see their whole transformation o_O it's like Whoaoaaa! but as for me, I wouldn't want to be on that show everrr lol.. I'd probably be on the verge of tears :p if they kept making fun of me like that ahh. Sometimes when I watch the show.. and see how Stacey and Clinton tease the person I feel so bad for themm because they seem so embarrassed. Imagine that happening to you o_O being caught on national television about how bad you dress lol.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm curious as to how many NFs really enjoy watching the US's version of "What Not to Wear," starring co-host Stacy London.

Like, oh meh gah! It's totally, like, oh meh gah! I mean, I dress like, like, a gypsy, 'cause it's, like, so harrrd to match and my boyfriend's like, "wear that crop top baby," but, I, like, ya know?

Sorry, had to give my inner ditz some air. I promise never to do that again.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hahahahahaha, that's great!!!!!!

But, like, I, like, totallyyyyyyyyyyy under, like, staaahhhhaaand where you are, like, coming frooooooooom!!!! Dude, like, I, well, like, totallyyyyyy wanted to buy, this, like, dreeeeeeeess at this, like, oh whaddyacallit, oh, yeah, stoooooooooore, but like my motheeeeeeer totalllyyyyyyyy like, well, like, wouldn't like, give me the moneeeeeeey, so I, like, well, like had to like, beeeeeeg and say, yeah, like gimme the moneeeeey, so she, like, gave it to meee, and now I have, like, a, like, five hundred dollar dreeeeees, so I can, like, totally, like, go to this, like, wiked cool, like, party, and get like, totallyyyyyy, like, sloshed, and like, laid, and like, well, like, well, like, you knowwwwwwwwwwww ;)

Oh, but, like, DUDE, I have to like, totally, like see this, like, showwwwwwwwwwwwwww, because like, they, like, totally tell you, like how to dreeeees, and all like, the coolest, like, stuuuuuuuufff, you can, like, weeeeeear, and I like, totally, like, have to, like, listen, because I'm a like, dumb blonde and like, proud of iiiiiiiiiiit, so, like, I have to listen to like, those, like, cool, like NY fashionnnnnnn peopleeeeeeeeee, because like they are like so like well like cooooool and like the people like wear all this like shiny stuff that like totally like well sparkles and all thattttttt.

They are stupid, materialistic, consumeristic, crazy, outlandish, obnoxious, irritating, aggravating, imposing farts, and they convince and persuade people. But other than that, the show is great. :D

Sure, don't go around in a potato sack - that's clear. But man we are not 12 years old anymore, and we don't need some guy in Gorgio Armani telling us to spend 10 thousand dollars on a wardrobe from people that support his show. :shock::rolleyes::steam:

But, okay, if it provides good entertainment, more power to ya. :cheese: Then you can support his multi-million dollar show. :) Meanwhile, I will sit back with my modest but comfy and decent looking clothes from H&M and Zero and sit with a contented look on my face that I didn't fall for such nonsensical gibberish.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I KNOW what you guys mean.. I seriously wanted punch to her FACE after I watched that show. Why ridicule/give fashion advice when she needs some herself? Just my personal opinion.. I don't think her taste in clothes looks all that great. Then again, the people who volunteer to go on those shows do get to go on a shopping spree. =)

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ohhhh.... It's a TV show. I was going to answer "clothes."